Poll

Who will be the first major player that our GM will aquire by trade or FA this winter.

Adam Dunn
2 (8.3%)
Tori Hunter
6 (25%)
Andruw Jones
1 (4.2%)
Tom Glavine
0 (0%)
None of the above
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: First player that Bowden will aquire this winter.  (Read 2058 times)

First player that Bowden will aquire this winter.
« Topic Start: November 05, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
I think Adam Dunn will be a Nat next season.  He strikesout alot but, I like the homeruns and RBI's that he would bring to this team.

Offline Dave B

Re: First player that Bowden will aquire this winter.
« Reply #1: November 05, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »
andruw jones short term

edit:
chances are none of the above, but if i had to pick from those four, i'd say jones

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: November 05, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »
Didn't the Reds just pick up the '08 option on Dunn?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: November 05, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »
Dontrelle.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: November 05, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »
Didn't the Reds just pick up the '08 option on Dunn?

that was a no brainer they had to do at least so they could trade him and not just lose him

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #5: November 05, 2007, 10:47:51 PM »
Hunter. One of the few that as I recall WANTS to come here.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: November 06, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »
Hunter. One of the few that as I recall WANTS to come here.

They were joking on XM Monday about how many teams Hunter has said he would like to play for.  It is a lot, apparently.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: November 06, 2007, 08:40:55 AM »
Dontrelle.

You might be surprised to how easy that may be.  Consider that over the past few years Juan Encarncion, Jeff Conine, Juan Pierre, Derrick Lee, Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett (technically given away rather than traded when they didn't even offer arbitration), Brad Penny, Paul LoDuca and Carlos Delgado have now netted the Marlins Hanley Ramirez, Mike Jacobs and Byung-Hyun Kim.

Anibal Sanchez's career is over, or at best, taken enough of a hit to make him no more than a glorified spot starter.  They did receive Yuserio Petit in the Delgado trade, but traded him for Jorge Julio, who shouldn't be in baseball, and eventually into  Byung-Hyun Kim (the Marlins have reportedly said they will not be offering Kim arbitration - letting him go for nothing).  Otherwise, with the minor league cuts a few day ago, every other player received is now out of baseball, almost all without ever wearing an MLB uniform (Hee Sop Choi being the most notable that ever did get to MLB) or is a perpetual minor leaguer.  Even in the MiLB column, there is only one, Mike Nannini, who is a 27 year old pitching prospect the Marlins released and who is gawdawful enough to have been picked up by the Cubs on their MiLB roster.  He's still waiting on his 1st career pitch below belt high, and is so bad even the Cubs have left him unprotected and Rule 5 eligible.

In short, have the Nats get a pile of garbage together, spray it with Febreze, and sell it to Beinfest.  The Nats may even get Cabrera and or Ramirez as throw ins.  Just make sure none of the trash is eligible for more than the MLB minimum.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #8: November 06, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
There are a couple other of Beinfest/Loria wonder trades:

Give up: Pedro Martinez
Receive:  Tony Armas, Carl Pavano

Vladimir Guerrero - given away without offering arbitration

Never underestimate the stupidity of the Marlins.

MrMadison

« Reply #9: November 06, 2007, 11:05:17 AM »
Livan Hernandez.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Livan Hernandez.

I read that Livan wants 3 years, which may sour the Nats on signing him. But even at 3 years, I don't think the money would be wasted. Thing is, I'm not sure if he'd be that great at helping the younger pitchers, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... ;)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Torii Hunter would be an awesome pickup, id love to see him out in center

Offline Dave B

I read that Livan wants 3 years, which may sour the Nats on signing him. But even at 3 years, I don't think the money would be wasted. Thing is, I'm not sure if he'd be that great at helping the younger pitchers, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... ;)

he could tell them that the best thing to do when you give up 5 runs is go 3 for 4 with a HR and 3 RBI

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Burger King come home!  :D

Offline kimnat

No, no Livan!  I'm so done w/ him! 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Rocco Baldelli

Offline nats2playoffs

I read that Livan wants 3 years, which may sour the Nats on signing him. But even at 3 years, I don't think the money would be wasted. Thing is, I'm not sure if he'd be that great at helping the younger pitchers... ;)

Livan could be counted on to teach the younger players about tequila and reggae.  The Nationals would need to realize that part of his salary would be for the parties and creative hangover remedies...

CONGA LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
From what we've all read, Bowden is talking with the Mets and the Rays, ad that he has his eyes one Gomex and Pelfrey (Mets) and Baldelli (Rays)... What might happen is that he ends up with someone like Dukes with the Rays, or Phil Humber with the Mets, which will cause him to say that Dukes (or Humber) is someone the Nats were hoping to acquire.

Offline mikehughes

From what we've all read, Bowden is talking with the Mets and the Rays, ad that he has his eyes one Gomex and Pelfrey (Mets) and Baldelli (Rays)... What might happen is that he ends up with someone like Dukes with the Rays, or Phil Humber with the Mets, which will cause him to say that Dukes (or Humber) is someone the Nats were hoping to acquire.

Awesome news, I cant wait to see Dukes as a nat.

Offline Obed_Marsh

The only way I want to see Dukes signed with the Nats is if the contract includes anger management classes and a vasectomy.  ;)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
The logical choice is none of the above, but I'll play along and say the Torrinator.

Nats have already said the chances of signing Hunter are slim to none since he turned down a contract from the Twins for something like 3yrs at $45 million.

My answer, none of the above.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand are Type A free agents, meaning signing either one would cost the Nats a 2nd round pick, since their 1st round pick is protected. The Nats wouldn't care if all they lost was the sandwich pick that went along with it, but that's not the case. Because they want to keep all the picks they can, the only big name center fielder I can picture the Nats signing is Jones, and even then, I don't see that happening.

As for Adam Dunn, as long as the Nats have Johnson and/or Young at first base and Wily Mo Pena in left, why one earth would they trade for someone who's gonna get $13 million this year and who knows how much more to stay? It doesn't make sense. The only reason Tom Glavine is saying pitching in Washington interests him, is so he can squeeze a little more money out of the Braves.

So of the four choices on the list, none really make sense. It would a shocker and somewhat of a nice (kinda) surprise if the Nats signed Fukodome to either play in RF, with Kearns moving into CF, or to play in CF himself. Will the Nats sign Fukodome, not very likely, but he is the type of outfielder that would help solve two problems. One with his ability to get on base early in the batting order and two, his defensive abilities in the outfield The fact that he has a little bit of pop, wouldn't hurt either.

Who do I honestly think will be the Nats first acquisition? I don't have clue, especially not with the way Bowden has been bouncing all over the place leaking stories about players the Nats (he's) interested in.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ken's comment
As for Adam Dunn, as long as the Nats have Johnson and/or Young at first base and Wily Mo Pena in left, why one earth would they trade for someone who's gonna get $13 million this year and who knows how much more to stay?

I tend to agree, though I think the possibility exists that if they could get Dunn, they move Kearns to center, or even deal Kearns.  Think what an upgrade to our outfield offensively, substituting Dunn's bat for Logan's?

Offline nats2playoffs

I tend to agree, though I think the possibility exists that if they could get Dunn, they move Kearns to center, or even deal Kearns...

Dunn would have a "no trade" clause in his contract. 
The Nationals wouldn't be able to trade KEARNS without Dunn's consent.