Author Topic: What's for Lunch?  (Read 24676 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: What's for Lunch?
« Reply #75: November 08, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »
I'm working from home with a cold.  Mushroom soup and toast here.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #76: November 08, 2007, 01:26:55 PM »
I"m sorry you're not feeling well!  Do you need any chicken noodle soup?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #77: November 08, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »
I"m sorry you're not feeling well!  Do you need any chicken noodle soup?

Is my Mom speaking thru you?   :o That's what she used to say whenever I got a cold!  She used to make the BEST Home made chicken soup! 

I'll see what's in the cupboard.  Only thing I got is Progresso.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #78: November 08, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »
Progresso's better than Campbells!

natsfan1a

« Reply #79: November 08, 2007, 02:49:45 PM »
Hope you feel better soon! Chicken soup is the best...

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #80: November 08, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
Vietnamese pho soup will cure just about anything...Pho 75 is my personal fave, though there are loads of others all around NoVa. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #81: November 08, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »
Vietnamese pho soup will cure just about anything...Pho 75 is my personal fave, though there are loads of others all around NoVa. 

Pho 75 is in Arlington right?  I think I've been there before.  Put just about anything in a good broth and you've got excellent soup.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should see if the one over by Kmart is still open.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #82: November 08, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
Hope you feel better soon! Chicken soup is the best...

put some jalapenos in it

Offline Dave B

« Reply #83: November 08, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
this is a great thread.

today:

Place: Wegmans in NJ
Food: 1.40 lbs (pay by the pound food bar) of pulled pork, jambalaya, mac and cheese, succotash, green beans

Offline Dave B

« Reply #84: November 08, 2007, 06:41:08 PM »
Google 90 minute IPA for the full story.

I think the 90 minute refers to how long a certain process the beer is exposed to, but not sure.

The 60 Minute IPA is 6% alcohol - the 90 minute a hefty 9% (and 12 oz = 294 calories!!), and the rare and yet to be tasted by tomterp 120 minute IPA a whopping 20% alcohol.  Here are some tasting notes about the 90 minute, which I like a lot.

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute .I..PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal!

9% abv

90 ibu

Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.

Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.

Glassware recommendation: Snifter

Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc

In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories

i think i've seen the 120 minute at 5th and ECapitol. Might want to wait for confirmation if you feel like making the trek. is that 12%?

speaking of high alcohol beers i had some kinda bourbon (and possibly vanilla and/or oatmeat) beer at chophouse a year or two ago. i think it was 11%.  the first couple of sips were alright, then a had about a half pint of what tasted like mostly bourbon.  kinda burned the stomach

Offline kimnat

« Reply #85: November 08, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
Ohhhh man!! I love Weggies!!!  It's my favorite grocery store!  I could spend a whole morning there! And that meal sounds fabulous!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #86: November 08, 2007, 06:46:15 PM »
Ohhhh man!! I love Weggies!!!  It's my favorite grocery store!  I could spend a whole morning there! And that meal sounds fabulous!

My first trip to Wegmans since college was last week. I remember their sandwiches being better. I've been dissapointed recently (too bready) and have switched to the pulled pork. Pretty good.  The ones in college had a good pasta making stand. They dont have one at the one I go to in NJ

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #87: November 08, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
I've made a lot of beer, and I can't imagine what 90 minutes could refer to. If it were a lager beer, there might be some more process steps, but beers made with ale yeast are fermented at (or near) room temperature to a particular "specific gravity" (which translates to alcohol content).

Oh, I see: 90 minutes means 9% alcohol... must be some adjunct grains in there...

Google 90 minute IPA for the full story.

I think the 90 minute refers to how long a certain process the beer is exposed to, but not sure.

The 60 Minute IPA is 6% alcohol - the 90 minute a hefty 9% (and 12 oz = 294 calories!!), and the rare and yet to be tasted by tomterp 120 minute IPA a whopping 20% alcohol.  Here are some tasting notes about the 90 minute, which I like a lot.

Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute .I..PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal!

9% abv

90 ibu

Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.

Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.

Glassware recommendation: Snifter

Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc

In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories

natsfan1a

« Reply #88: November 08, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »
I love the Wegmans eateries. In spring, they have a simply scrumptious strawberry cream layer cake.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #89: November 08, 2007, 10:05:34 PM »
i think i've seen the 120 minute at 5th and ECapitol. Might want to wait for confirmation if you feel like making the trek. is that 12%?

speaking of high alcohol beers i had some kinda bourbon (and possibly vanilla and/or oatmeat) beer at chophouse a year or two ago. i think it was 11%.  the first couple of sips were alright, then a had about a half pint of what tasted like mostly bourbon.  kinda burned the stomach

It said 20% on the Dogfish web site.  One is almost like drinking a six pack.

I think I've had that bourbon beer, probably a bourbon stout.  Or was it an oatmeal bourbon stout, I can't remember.  Chophouse beers are a bit uneven, I've had some bad ones, but some good ones too.  All the same I enjoy going there and sampling.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #90: November 08, 2007, 10:14:38 PM »
put some jalapenos in it

:shock:   :'( sniffle, YEAH, THAT WOULD CLEAR THE SINUSES!  ;)  (Popeyes spicy chicken is about as spicy as I can stand and even then I need a biscuit near by!)

Haven't been to Wegmans yet.  There's one in Sterling near where I work.  I know there's one in Fairfax somewhere but haven't been there yet.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #91: November 08, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
It said 20% on the Dogfish web site.  One is almost like drinking a six pack.

I think I've had that bourbon beer, probably a bourbon stout.  Or was it an oatmeal bourbon stout, I can't remember.  Chophouse beers are a bit uneven, I've had some bad ones, but some good ones too.  All the same I enjoy going there and sampling.

sounds familiar. only been to chophouse twice. i like steak and i wouldnt call myself an expert, but it seems overrated to me. both times i went it was overcooked for medium rare, at least compared to other places i've been.  i had a steak at gordon biersch once and it was good. their beer is good too.

while on the brewery restaurant topic, Capitol City usually is good, they used to have a good pumpkin beer. i went looking for it a couple of weeks ago and they only had two of their beers available.  they said the brewer quit. yikes

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #92: November 08, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
sounds familiar. only been to chophouse twice. i like steak and i wouldnt call myself an expert, but it seems overrated to me. both times i went it was overcooked for medium rare, at least compared to other places i've been.  i had a steak at gordon biersch once and it was good. their beer is good too.

while on the brewery restaurant topic, Capitol City usually is good, they used to have a good pumpkin beer. i went looking for it a couple of weeks ago and they only had two of their beers available.  they said the brewer quit. yikes

yeah anything over med-rare is wayyyy too done..good steak ive had some good from ruth chris's but personally matt cooks a mean steak on the grill...  but the best cut, freshness...

i want it med-rare, ya know so a good vet could bring it back to life...

ok im want the beef... Mooo

• babble on
« Reply #93: November 08, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
Pho 75 in Arlington, yup...also locations in Rockville, College Park, a couple places in PA, and not sure where else.  Lots of interesting ARVN memorabilia decorate the walls, and they close for (I think) Memorial Day and Armistice Day, i.e. next Monday.  A large #12 with an extra order of pickled onions could cure a shotgun wound.

Pho 75 is in Arlington right?  I think I've been there before.  Put just about anything in a good broth and you've got excellent soup.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should see if the one over by Kmart is still open.

• babble on
« Reply #94: November 08, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
We went to Urban BBQ in Rockville for pulled pork, pulled chicken, potato salad, mac & cheese, slaw, and cornbread.  They have better pulled pork than Rocklands, Old Glory, or Red, Hot, and Blue...dry, lean, and vinegary...I had about 3 pounds  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #95: November 09, 2007, 06:43:38 AM »
We went to Urban BBQ in Rockville for pulled pork, pulled chicken, potato salad, mac & cheese, slaw, and cornbread.  They have better pulled pork than Rocklands, Old Glory, or Red, Hot, and Blue...dry, lean, and vinegary...I had about 3 pounds  :icon_mrgreen:

Vinegary?  No thanks.  I like the tomato based bbq sauce.  However the above has all my comfort foods (Chicken Mac and Cheese, Slaw, Cornbread).  When do they Open?  Where in Rockville?

natsfan1a

« Reply #96: November 09, 2007, 12:38:31 PM »
I also prefer tomato based. :thumbs:

Today's lunch in my neck of the woods was meatloaf and baked potato.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #97: November 09, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »
I'll have to go to Mickey D's or something.  Got a Dr. Appt at 2:30  Bye!

MrMadison

« Reply #98: November 09, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »
eh. not gonna eat lunch today.

I'm taking the little one out to the Olive Garden for dinner though. :) she should enjoy that.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #99: November 09, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
Wendy's!!