Author Topic: Buck O'Neil's death and Negro Leagues Baseball Museum  (Read 1518 times)

natsfan1a

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Map, News) - The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is still in mourning.

The once promising facility struggles with recovering a year after losing its board chairman and chief fundraiser, Buck O'Neil, who died of heart failure and bone marrow cancer.

---

Full story available at URL below:

http://www.examiner.com/a-1001711~Museum_still_trying_to_recover_a_year_after_Buck_O_Neil_s_death.html

nospinzone1

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Map, News) - The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is still in mourning.

The once promising facility struggles with recovering a year after losing its board chairman and chief fundraiser, Buck O'Neil, who died of heart failure and bone marrow cancer.

---

Full story available at URL below:

http://www.examiner.com/a-1001711~Museum_still_trying_to_recover_a_year_after_Buck_O_Neil_s_death.html

QUITE A LOSS TO THE RICH HISTORY OF NEGRO PLAYERS. MHRIP

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
They need a new ambassador.  However, Buck's personality is irreplaceable.  Met the man once!

He's kind of the Will Rogers of the Negro Leagues.  Never met a man (woman or child) he didn't like.

I wonder if any one in the Jackie Robinson family is interested?  They need someone who's lived thru it.  That's tough to find because they are literally a dying breed.

natsfan1a

Wish that I could have met him. There was an NLBM road tour the year that he died but he was too ill to travel later on. I have a book about his road trip on my "to read" list (The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America, by Joe Posnanski).

Offline CALSGR8

Wish that I could have met him. There was an NLBM road tour the year that he died but he was too ill to travel later on. I have a book about his road trip on my "to read" list (The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America, by Joe Posnanski).

Let me know your review after you read it.  That one's another I want to get eventually.

Read his autobiography.  I think it was called I WAS BORN RIGHT ON TIME - EASY READ.  He himself tells about life in the Negro Leagues.

He was such a KIND man.  He and Wilmer fields once came to the minor league stadium in Prince William for Negro League Night.  I spent almost the entire game talking with those two!  I had my picture taken with the both of them.  Next time he and Wilmer were at a card show, I got them both to sign it.  I brought a picture for the both of them.  Buck wanted my autograph on his!   :lol:.  Once you met Buck, he felt like your long lost uncle.  He was just so full of love for anyone he's met.

natsfan1a

I will do that. I also have his autobiography in my "to read" stack.

That is so sweet! I've always had that impression about him from things I've seen and read. His speech to the Hall of Fame (representing at a function after he'd not been voted in) was delightful. I'm not sure where the video is at this point but I found an audio file here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061014&content_id=1712704&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Let me know your review after you read it.  That one's another I want to get eventually.

Read his autobiography.  I think it was called I WAS BORN RIGHT ON TIME - EASY READ.  He himself tells about life in the Negro Leagues.

He was such a KIND man.  He and Wilmer fields once came to the minor league stadium in Prince William for Negro League Night.  I spent almost the entire game talking with those two!  I had my picture taken with the both of them.  Next time he and Wilmer were at a card show, I got them both to sign it.  I brought a picture for the both of them.  Buck wanted my autograph on his!   :lol:.  Once you met Buck, he felt like your long lost uncle.  He was just so full of love for anyone he's met.

arkymark

That kind of temperment must be a gift.  I can't get remotely close to there even though I've got about 1/10,000th the reasons to be a crank that he had.  Put him at one end of the spectrum and Ty Cobb at the other and I think almost the whole human race fits in between.

natsfan1a

I can't approach it, either. I think it is innate to some extent.

Offline NatsAddict

The traveling museum is down here in Miami Gardens right now until November 17, at Florida Memorial University.  I'll have to look up where FMU is - I've never heard of it before.  I saw the exhibit when it was down here in '03 or '04.

It will be at the Anacostia Museum from May 18 through August 30, 2008.

NLBM

natsfan1a

Thanks for that info, NatsAddict!

It will be at the Anacostia Museum from May 18 through August 30, 2008.

NLBM

Offline CALSGR8

It will also be in Baltimore but I forget the dates.

Offline NatsAddict

It will also be in Baltimore but I forget the dates.

It was there in July.  Right now there isn't another trip to Baltimore on the schedule.