Author Topic: Bill Bray - Prospect on the move  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Bill Bray - Prospect on the move
« Topic Start: July 08, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »
After starting the year with the P-Nats, Bill Bray is showing everyone why he's among the Nats top prospects. With Potomac, he struck out 18 in 12 and 2/3 innings, had three saves, allowed 3 earned runs, gave up just 8 hits, walked three giving him an ERA of 2.13 and a WHIP below 1.00. In Harrisburg, he was only there for 3 games, but struck 6 in 5 and 2/3 innings, but gave up 10 hits. So far with the Zephyrs, he's pitched in 3 games for 2 and 2/3 innings with 6 K's, including three in a perfect 9th yesterday to get the win.

Bill Bray is showing he has the right stuff and I'm sure he's aware his name in being mentioned in trade talks and knows because of Cordero's presence with the big club, that he's very likely doing to be dealt. Even while knowing all that, he continues to pitch well... Bill Bray is going to be traded to help the Nats get the pitching help they need.

So me thinks the Nats are going to get not just the bat they were looking for, but the pitching help they want as well...

What do you all think?

bramos

« Reply #1: July 09, 2005, 02:25:24 AM »
I think if Bray continues to find his groove down in Triple-A, the Nats should consider promoting him to the major league level immediately for a look-see.  It's not rushing him too soon.  Case in point: Chad Cordero, who made his debut with the Expos only a few months after he was drafted two years ago.  Bray could be the dominant lefty to go with Cordero as a 1-2 punch in the pen.  Joey Eischen, in spite of his fierce determination, has proven to have difficulty getting left-handed batters out.  I say why not give our own guys a chance?  We did it earlier this year with Majewski and Carrasco, two pitchers who were not on the opening day roster.  If Bray shows he belongs, then we can use our resources on upgrading our offence and not worry about getting a high-priced reliever like Eddie Guardado.

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #2: July 09, 2005, 02:45:45 AM »
I agree, I haven't followed Bray so much, but if he is dominating as much as his stats say, then give him a shot. Relievers can succeed much quicker sometimes than starters b/c of the limited amount of hitters they face each game. It's harder to get a scouting report or feel for a pitcher that you see maybe once in a game. Give him a chance before trading him.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: July 09, 2005, 01:03:52 PM »
That's very true... The Nats could use, not just another arm, but a lefty in the bullpen... And if a rookie can get the job done as a setup guy, or occasionally close to help save Chad's arm, all the better. I think if he's still with the team come August, the chances of his being called up are excellent.

tomwaits

« Reply #4: July 15, 2005, 05:14:43 PM »
forget about saving chad's arm, ayala looks spent already......maybe all the work from the past few years is catching up to him.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: July 15, 2005, 07:36:09 PM »
Watching yesterday's game, he looked like he had more velocity while he was warming up in the bullpen than on the mound during the game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: July 15, 2005, 09:45:35 PM »
wow, this kid looks like he can pitch.

CoryFromTaylorsville

« Reply #7: July 20, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »
Nice to see a young lefty emerge.  I don't know if I want to see him dealt.