Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2 (W)  (Read 47601 times)

Offline esoteric

Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2 (W)
« Reply #225: September 14, 2005, 10:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
I LOVE BEATING THE METS.

Beating the Mets is doing God's work.

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #226: September 14, 2005, 10:12:39 PM »
BANG ZOOM, BABY!!!

Unbelieveable!  This team just does NOT give up!!!  God Bless 'EM!!    

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #227: September 14, 2005, 10:13:22 PM »
Quote from: "esoteric"
I LOVE BEATING THE METS.

Beating the Mets is doing God's work.

Not only did the Nats win but I learned about artists called..wait..what was it.. Rob Dilan and the Crows?

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #228: September 14, 2005, 10:14:01 PM »
Quote from: "ernie0326"
BANG ZOOM, BABY!!!

Unbelieveable!  This team just does NOT give up!!!  God Bless 'EM!!    

I wish you were around for the whole game, this people were picking on me and being big downers :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline rileyn

« Reply #229: September 14, 2005, 10:14:04 PM »
I LOVE BEATING THE METS.

Right back atcha!

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #230: September 14, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »
BANG ZOOM, NATIONALS WON! THE DREAM IS ALIVE IN 2005

Okay, I better go to bed, I've school tommorow.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #231: September 14, 2005, 11:02:39 PM »
I'm glad we took the series tonight, because honestly I am wary of our chances against Jae Seo tomorrow :?

dotsandloops

« Reply #232: September 15, 2005, 12:31:44 AM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"
Quote from: "Jayman77"
True.  And if this type of thing makes them this upset, they have a lot to learn.

Out of curiosity? How old is everybody else here? And yes my masters I do realize I have a lot to learn. Seriously, it was less than a year a go that I didnt know what an RBI was. And the only teams I had heard of were the Red Sox, Yankees and Marlins.

20.  But I'm hardly a prolific poster.

edit: Whoops!   I thought that question might have garnered a few more replies than it did -- I was in class until 10:30 tonight so I read the thread through to get a sense of the game (aye!).  To continue the other completely inconsequential bickering, my five favorite groups at the present moment (certainly not of all time!) are:

The Beach Boys
The Hollies
Primal Scream
Spiritualized
The Stone Roses

I heart pop music.

dotsandloops

« Reply #233: September 15, 2005, 12:40:17 AM »
Oh, by the way:

The letter before J.

WARNING: GRAMMAR DORK AHEAD.

Needless to say, the proper spelling is "AYE," since it's intended as a statement of affirmation (as in "the 'ayes' have it.")

Oh yes, and AYE (for tonight).

That's not grammar, that's spelling.  Completely different: even unwritten languages have as much grammar as English.  :wink:

Offline esoteric

« Reply #234: September 15, 2005, 01:51:34 AM »
Quote from: "dotsandloops"
True.  And if this type of thing makes them this upset, they have a lot to learn.

Out of curiosity? How old is everybody else here? And yes my masters I do realize I have a lot to learn. Seriously, it was less than a year a go that I didnt know what an RBI was. And the only teams I had heard of were the Red Sox, Yankees and Marlins.

20.  But I'm hardly a prolific poster.

edit: Whoops!   I thought that question might have garnered a few more replies than it did -- I was in class until 10:30 tonight so I read the thread through to get a sense of the game (aye!).  To continue the other completely inconsequential bickering, my five favorite groups at the present moment (certainly not of all time!) are:

The Beach Boys
The Hollies
Primal Scream
Spiritualized
The Stone Roses

I heart pop music.

[WARNING: OFF-TOPIC SUBJECT MATTER.  Sue me, I've been a good citizen on this board all season long!  Give me this musical indulgence after the game!]

Hey.  Not bad for a 20 year old.  (I'm a hardcore muso, 4000+ CDs, nearly every group of note from the '60 to the '80s).  I'm especially surprised to see someone our age - or heck, ANYONE - mention The Hollies.  They made a slew of truly fantastic pop singles (and check out the B-sides, many of which are equal to or better than the A-sides: "I've Got A Way Of My Own," "So Lonely," "Don't Run And Hide," "All The World Is Love," "Come On Back," "Like Every Time Before," man...I could go on and on), but never get any attention now because people think they never could get it together for an entire album.  But they did some fantastic obscure stuff on their '60s albums too.  

If you really love pop, your collection is simply not complete without The Zombies' Odessey & Oracle.  As much as I love the Beach Boys, I and a lot of others would place that album above Pet Sounds, even.  

The list I gave in my earlier post was only my assessment of the objective five BEST, by the way.  My PERSONAL favorites?  Top five would have to be:

1.) Genesis
2.) Radiohead
3.) The Who
4.) XTC (if you love pop go out and buy Black Sea and English Settlement TOMORROW)
5.) The Grateful Dead

dotsandloops

« Reply #235: September 15, 2005, 06:50:05 AM »
I've got Odessey and Oracle.  Great, great freaking album, maybe my favorite of the '60s (except I've never been able to like "Changes").  Their singles collection is also an A+ disc.  Definitely about Pet Sounds, but that's not my favorite BB album anyway (that'd be Summer Days, Friends, or Wild Honey, depending on my mood).  The Zombies are definitely up there with the best.

My top five is never in any way a stable thing.  I don't think I'd be able to make a list of my top five artists, because it changes every few weeks.  Ask the same question in a month and you'll get five completely different artists; that's just how my brain goes (my favorite artists are the ones I'm listening to the most at any given moment).

The Hollies' early albums are pretty much all OOP in the U.S. and are going for at least $30-40 on amazon.com (for a 29-minute album!), so I've downloaded most of them and have assembled a pretty decent collection.  I own Butterfly and The Hollies' Greatest Hits (which is essential for the non-album tracks alone), which I think are the only original Hollies records available domestically (there are also hits packages and some bastardized U.S. albums, but not the originals).  It's a real shame; they could make decent money from packaging them in twofers like the Beach Boys' catalogue, but I guess not enough cash to justify doing it.  Still a shame that you can't get them.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #236: September 15, 2005, 09:57:10 AM »
I've got Odessey and Oracle.  Great, great freaking album, maybe my favorite of the '60s (except I've never been able to like "Changes").  Their singles collection is also an A+ disc.  Definitely about Pet Sounds, but that's not my favorite BB album anyway (that'd be Summer Days, Friends, or Wild Honey, depending on my mood).  The Zombies are definitely up there with the best.

My top five is never in any way a stable thing.  I don't think I'd be able to make a list of my top five artists, because it changes every few weeks.  Ask the same question in a month and you'll get five completely different artists; that's just how my brain goes (my favorite artists are the ones I'm listening to the most at any given moment).

The Hollies' early albums are pretty much all OOP in the U.S. and are going for at least $30-40 on amazon.com (for a 29-minute album!), so I've downloaded most of them and have assembled a pretty decent collection.  I own Butterfly and The Hollies' Greatest Hits (which is essential for the non-album tracks alone), which I think are the only original Hollies records available domestically (there are also hits packages and some bastardized U.S. albums, but not the originals).  It's a real shame; they could make decent money from packaging them in twofers like the Beach Boys' catalogue, but I guess not enough cash to justify doing it.  Still a shame that you can't get them.

You ought to try to find Hollies, their 1965 self-titled album.  Great, great album tracks like "Very Last Day," "So Lonely," "You Must Believe Me," and a ridiculous cover of "Mickey's Monkey" where they sound exactly like The Who (the drummer is insane...truly Moon-like).  I also recommend, if you've got a lot of cash to blow, the recent boxed set The Long Road Home.

Their best album was probably Evolution or For Certain Because..., though.  Butterfly has some good cuts ("Would You Believe" for one).

Okay, okay, I promise it'll be all baseball from now on.  No need to ban me!

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #237: September 15, 2005, 11:03:57 AM »

You ought to try to find Hollies, their 1965 self-titled album.  Great, great album tracks like "Very Last Day," "So Lonely," "You Must Believe Me," and a ridiculous cover of "Mickey's Monkey" where they sound exactly like The Who (the drummer is insane...truly Moon-like).  I also recommend, if you've got a lot of cash to blow, the recent boxed set The Long Road Home.

Their best album was probably Evolution or For Certain Because..., though.  Butterfly has some good cuts ("Would You Believe" for one).

Okay, okay, I promise it'll be all baseball from now on.  No need to ban me!

Wait, who the hell are the Hollies? You guys listen to some weird music!!

dotsandloops

« Reply #238: September 15, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »

Wait, who the hell are the Hollies? You guys listen to some weird music!!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:4z1tk6rx9kr3~T1

I know this is all off-topic but the game thread is over and done with anyway and will be tucked away to the archive this evening, never to be seen again, so I don't feel too trollish about it.