Author Topic: Team Spirit  (Read 789 times)

natslive

Team Spirit
« Topic Start: September 14, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »
I want to post two remarks by Carrasco from an article that ran in the Wasington Times by Mark Zuckerman.

It all started with Carrasco, the 35-year-old right-hander who had made just one other start in a major-league career that includes 557 appearances. He didn't learn of his assignment until 2:30 p.m., and even then thought it was a joke.
    "I started laughing," he said. "I was kind of surprised and really happy."
    Pitching exclusively out of the stretch -- when's the last time you saw a starter do that? -- Carrasco pumped out four innings while throwing an impressive 74 pitches.

And when Cordero retired the side in order in the bottom of the inning, they headed home with an unconventional-but-satisfying win in the books and another game to start thinking about.
    "If they need me tomorrow," Carrasco said. "I'll be there."

After reading about the clubhouse woes of late it is nice to get some positive remarks. I guess winning helps too!

Now if he can only give Short a chance.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Team Spirit
« Reply #1: September 14, 2005, 01:31:58 PM »
I have liked Carrasco all season.  While he has had his bad outings, he has been very reliable most of the time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Team Spirit
« Reply #2: September 14, 2005, 01:53:06 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
I have liked Carrasco all season.  While he has had his bad outings, he has been very reliable most of the time.

One of my favorite Nats, and I feel really good about the career year he's had.  He joined the bullpen at a time when they were hammered by injuries, and was immediately a stabilizing, veteran presence.  Not the most talented guy in the world, but gives a solid effort each time out.

Had a chance to chat him up while signing my son's hat, about a month after joining the team.  I told him he was the "savior of the bullpen", and while I don't think he bought the hype, you could tell he was pleased to have been recognized.  Seemed like a real humble, down to earth guy.

Keebs72

Team Spirit
« Reply #3: September 14, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
It was good to see Carrasco have a successful outing on Tuesday night.  Going four full innings, I'd say he exceeded most people's expectations.  It's too bad he couldn't pick up the win, since they got the lead while he was pitching, and never looked back.

Speaking of that, I don't understand the point of the rule that requires a 5-inning minimum for a starter to get the win.  If a starting pitcher puts in a solid 3- or 4-innings, and leaves the game with his team in the lead, it seems as though that pitcher should be credited with the win.   :?