Author Topic: Guzman and his Numbers  (Read 881 times)

natslive

Guzman and his Numbers
« Topic Start: September 14, 2005, 11:20:15 AM »
I pulled the following numbers from the ESPN website. As you can see Christian has been hitting of late.

Month      At Bats                  BA   OBP   SLG
JUNE      79      .241   .277   .430
JULY      42      ..095   .191   .143
AUG      77      .234   .253   .312
SEPT       22      .273   .385   .364

Other numbers. Against left-handers he is batting .139 that is 84 points below his average against righties. His home away numbers are not nearly as and but close (he hits better at home).

The new owners and their operational team will need to make a fairly quick decision on who starts at shortstop next year. If Guzman can bat at some level over .200 with a bad OBP is he worth keeping or do they eat the contract and get someone else?

I t is part of a larger question. Do we want to lose some draft picks so we can retool at short while addressing the pitching and other needs?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #1: September 14, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
I think we keep him for another year, but have Cruz or similar waiting in the wings if he tanks again.

After this season, nobody would want him, so we wouldn't get salary relief nor player in return.

Thus, cheapest option is to have the $800k Cruz or Spivey available.  I agree with Bowden, the best option would be to "fix" Guzman.  

It would help if he would show up in shape next year, lose that gut and show us some of that reputed speed on the bases.

Offline Dave B

Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #2: September 14, 2005, 11:36:43 AM »
I think the owners will try to get a reasonable shortstop, someone who can hit .230-240 won't cost too much, as an insurance policy. Guzman will get a chance, it just depends how short the leash is.  Hopefully he is making progress.

People say that he benefitted from Minnesotas turf. But for his last year there, it wasnt real astro-turf. it was the new more grass-like stuff.  It is not as bouncy or fast. It is almost the same as grass and there was no dirt on the infield.

I think Guzman needs some time off this winter. No winter leagues or anything.  He needs to forget about baseball and hopefully in march he can play the way he used to

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #3: September 14, 2005, 01:33:37 PM »
I very much hope he can go back to being his old self next year, but after this season, I suspect he will be the butt of jokes for a very long time no matter how well he hits.

Offline Kenz aFan

Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #4: September 16, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
I think we keep him for another year, but have Cruz or similar waiting in the wings if he tanks again.

I think Cruz is a FA after this year, but keeping him would give the Nats two Jamey Carroll type players (offensively at least, I've not seen enough of Cruz to judge his glove), and with the new owners in place, that SHOULD be at least one luxury the Nats can afford. Besides Cruz isn't expensive, and if he had fun here, he may be signable.

natslive

Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #5: September 16, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "tomterp"

I think Cruz is a FA after this year, but keeping him would give the Nats two Jamey Carroll type players (offensively at least, I've not seen enough of Cruz to judge his glove), and with the new owners in place, that SHOULD be at least one luxury the Nats can afford. Besides Cruz isn't expensive, and if he had fun here, he may be signable.

having seen Cruz play a fair amount when he was with the Orioles - his glove isn't that good.....think Jamey is much better defensively from what I've seen.....

Online rileyn

Guzman and his Numbers
« Reply #6: September 16, 2005, 09:14:32 PM »
What is Spivey's status?  He has the best glove at 2nd (amazing how he goes out to RF get pop ups/bloops)  I also liked the pop and attitude he provided in his short time here.