Author Topic: Soriano - Apparently It's All His Fault  (Read 3240 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Soriano - Apparently It's All His Fault
« Topic Start: October 08, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
Just call him Alfons-no
Outfielder has some amazing talent, but he does way too many things wrong; too bad Cubs are stuck with him for 7 more years

October 8, 2007
BY GREG COUCH Sun-Times Columnist

So what are the Cubs supposed to do with Alfonso Soriano now? Should we just start counting down his final 2,500 days as a Cub? Just seven years left on his $136 million contract.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone exposed so badly, so quickly as he was during the Cubs' sluggish three-game loss to Arizona in the first round of the playoffs.

When it was over, and the fans had stopped booing, manager Lou Piniella said that this year was just the start of rebuilding. I didn't see it that way. They had gone from last place to first, but it came by buying free agents. It was a swing for the fences. A swing and a miss.

I still feel that way, honestly. But the Cubs do have to take it from here. They need to take another swing.

As they look to the future, Soriano is going to be a big issue. He's one of the major pieces the team is built around, and will be for years. And the problem?

He doesn't know how to play baseball.

People warned the Cubs about him, that his mistakes kill you more than his amazing skills help. It's hard not to buy into a guy who can hit so far, run so fast, throw with such strength and aim. I bought in, too.
Same mistakes over and over

His leadoff homers were a big part of the Cubs' September success. He can carry the team. But in the playoffs, he just kept striking out, kept misjudging fly balls.

He grounded out on the first pitch in Game 1. He struck out when the only thing needed was a ground ball to advance a runner. The one time he did smack a ball, he stood there and admired it, then only got a single after it flew all the way to the wall. He ran to the fences twice for fly balls, and one hit the wall several feet away. On Saturday, well, doesn't he know that when a ball hits the wall, it's going to bounce back?

After Game 2, someone asked Piniella about what he'd learn from the struggles of Soriano, Aramis Ramirez and Derrek Lee.

''You know, in postseason, you take what the opponent gives you,'' he said. ''They don't give you pitches to swing out of the yard, then you've got to go the other way, or you've got to go up the middle.

''As you get into postseason ... pitching gets better and better, you know? So don't try to overdo. That would be my message.''

Soriano wasn't listening. If this stuff is increasingly important in the postseason, then Soriano is never going to do well in October without significant changes.
A young MJ? Don't count on it

Someone told me Soriano reminded him of a young Michael Jordan, a natural-born showman. Jordan was considered selfish when he started. Remember? He could have ridden out a career as a human highlight film but instead modified his game to incorporate the team.

At this point, Jordan and Soriano are the best and worst of athletes everywhere.

Baseball doesn't have nearly the team dynamic that basketball has, but Soriano has to stop being so selfish, weigh game situations.

That's assuming he's willing to learn. But Arizona looked like a team; the Cubs looked like a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform.

And Soriano is here for seven more years.

Despite his numbers, he's the symbol of that lack of teamwork. Without change, that'll hurt the Cubs in the playoffs as long as he's here.

Frankly, it was disturbing when I asked Piniella about Soriano's lack of discipline and the way he doesn't fit as a natural leadoff hitter.

''We knew that when we signed him,'' Piniella said. ''We're very pleased with him.''

OK, you knew. But did that mean you weren't going to try to fix him? You can't teach him to be the prototype leadoff hitter, can't take away all of his aggressiveness, because that would eliminate what he does well.

But can't you at least teach a few situational fundamentals?

Ryan Theriot is a natural leadoff hitter. But Soriano can't hit anything but fastballs, which he sees more of at leadoff. I'd say to keep Soriano at leadoff, where he's comfortable. But at times, he's going to have to do traditional leadoff hitter things.
Plenty more advice

The Cubs have other decisions. Here's what I'd suggest:

Sign another free-agent outfielder and get rid of Cliff Floyd and Jacque Jones. Piniella showed how the first third of the season can function as tryouts, so give Felix Pie another shot in center. Start Geovany Soto at catcher, and keep Henry Blanco, the ideal backup and mentor. Make Carlos Marmol the closer, but keep Bobby Howry handy.

Give Ryan Dempster a shot at the rotation. If it doesn't work out, middle relief. Buy one more free-agent reliever.

It won't be easy adding to payroll while Tribune Co. finds someone to sell to. Meanwhile, in this market a potential new owner figures to have a hard time finding $850 million of financing. It's possible the Cubs won't change ownership by Opening Day.

''We'll reconvene next spring and take this thing further,'' Piniella said. ''That's really the bottom line.''

No, the bottom line is Soriano, and whether he can understand that winning a World Series isn't all about how far his home runs fly.
Chicago Sun Times

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Soriano - Apparently It's All His Fault
« Reply #1: October 08, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »
NOTLD will probably enjoy reading this piece.

« Reply #2: October 08, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »

HA, HA!

Its bad, its tacky, and cliche to say but: I told you so.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: October 08, 2007, 09:39:02 AM »
I like the line about him not knowing how to play baseball!  And the last one is priceless, too.  Comparing him to Jordan was a super good point.  I've tried to make that point around here a couple of times.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #4: October 08, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
I like the line about him not knowing how to play baseball!  And the last one is priceless, too.  Comparing him to Jordan was a super good point.  I've tried to make that point around here a couple of times.

Except that by the time he was 30 Jordan was a complete player. Soriano will never be that. The comparison is only because of the city they play in.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: October 08, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »
The greed part what what I was honing in on.

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: October 08, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »
Interesting piece. I think I'm feeling a little bit of $orifreude...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: October 08, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »

nospinzone1

« Reply #8: October 08, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
SORE ANO! THAT IS SPANGLISH

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #9: October 08, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

HA, HA!

Its bad, its tacky, and cliche to say but: I told you so.

Indeed!  When they signed A-So for the big money and 7 years, my argument was the Cubs overpaid for a player who is NOT the type of player you build a team around.  Now, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

nospinzone1

« Reply #11: October 08, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »
INDIAN CHIEF CHANGE NAME:
NOW NAMED SOREANUS

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #12: October 08, 2007, 08:54:34 PM »
Hehe.  Well, I can't say I wouldn't want him still in DC, but he took the road of a little thing called bad karma.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: October 08, 2007, 09:00:34 PM »
Even though they did lose BADLY in that first round, I'd have to predict good things for them next season if (BIG IF) they keep their team intact. This prediction is based on a team that just came together near the end of the season. They SHOULD win. BTW, I don't really have hate for any team, so it's not too biased.

Side Note: Cowboys are stinking it up right now :)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #14: October 08, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
I don't really have hate for any team

That's ok.  When it comes to the Cubs, I have enough for the both of us!

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #15: October 09, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »

That's ok.  When it comes to the Cubs, I have enough for the both of us!

I think most folks on this list are rank amateurs when it comes to hatred of the Cubs.  Me?  I am the founder and president of this fine organization, as one of my forum signature files indicates: 

soxfan59
Attorney at Law
Dyed-in-the-Wool White Sox Fan
Founder and President of C.U.B.S.S.U.C.K , NFP
("Chicago's Universal Baseball Society Seeking Understanding; Cultivating Knowledge")
Forever grateful to the San Diego Padres, Florida Marlins, Leon Durham, Steve Bartman, and the Goat! -- and NOW, special thanks to the D-Backs!
"I cheer for 2 teams, the White Sox, and whoever is playing the Cubs" Old South Side Proverb.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: October 09, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
Bravo  :D  That pretty much sums up how I feel about another team...malaria is more beneficial to humankind than the Mets.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #17: October 09, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »
Even though they did lose BADLY in that first round, I'd have to predict good things for them next season if (BIG IF) they keep their team intact. This prediction is based on a team that just came together near the end of the season. They SHOULD win. BTW, I don't really have hate for any team, so it's not too biased.

Side Note: Cowboys are stinking it up right now :)

"Came together at the end of the season?"  In their last 57 games the Cubs went 29-28.  Not exactly "coming together."  The only reason the Cubs finished first with such a mediocre finish is that the Brewers and Cardinals totally tanked during the same time frame.  The Cubs simply were the tallest midget in the NL Central.  They're record was fattened up by the unbalanced schedule, winning against poor teams. 

To compare, the Nats went 28-29 over the same time frame.

The Cubs have huge holes in thier lineup.  They potentially have the worst outfield defense in baseball.  Do you believe Jacques Jones is an adequate MLB centerfielder?  Can the Cliff Floyd/Murton platoon in right be the long term answer?  Can Aramis Ramirez's negative range factor and tendency to ground into double plays succeed over the long haul?  The bullpen was successful about half the time.  After Zambrano and Lilly, can the Cubs find at least a decent 3rd starter out of the half dozen 5th starters they have? 

No, this is a very mediocre team.  The Cubs performance in the playoffs proved it. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: October 09, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »
I wish soxfan59 would quit wussyfooting around the topic and tell us how he really feels :lol:

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #19: October 09, 2007, 05:26:14 PM »
I wish soxfan59 would quit wussyfooting around the topic and tell us how he really feels :lol:

And now, for a musical tribute (the player references are all outdated -- its a song from the 84 era Cubs, but entertaining nonetheless! Come to think of it, the fact that the song is 25 years old only makes its subject matter more poignant): 

http://audio.xanga.com/soxfan59/7a25f648487/audio.html

Its by a band called the "Cleaning Ladys" 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #20: October 09, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »

Sublime. Just sublime.

« Reply #21: October 09, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
I guess that "Soriano leadership and pizazz" that gets a team going that was preached here last year is one big crock of crap.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: October 09, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
I guess that "Soriano leadership and pizazz" that gets a team going that was preached here last year is one big crock of crap.

I believe blaming Soriano for the Cubs early exit is a crock of crap also.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #23: October 09, 2007, 09:39:39 PM »
I believe blaming Soriano for the Cubs early exit is a crock of **** also.
But making him the centerpiece of your team for the next 7 years for the really big bucks when he is, at best, a streaky hitter who has speed but couldn't catch a fly ball with a bushel basket, is indicative of a team that has its collective head up its a**

Offline spidernat

« Reply #24: October 09, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »
But making him the centerpiece of your team for the next 7 years for the really big bucks when he is, at best, a streaky hitter who has speed but couldn't catch a fly ball with a bushel basket, is indicative of a team that has its collective head up its a**

With that I cannot argue. We should be grateful that the cubs took him away from us, although he probably wasn't going to stay here anyway. I just think there is plenty of blame to go around and to make Soriano the only scapegoat makes us sound like a spurned lover.