Author Topic: The rest of the way  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Dave B

The rest of the way
« Topic Start: September 13, 2005, 08:50:45 AM »
The Nats need to finish the season at the very least 12-6. Being 4 games back in the loss column to Florida and Houston,  these two teams need to go 8-10 and 9-10 respecively.

For now, I'm rooting from Fla to win 3 of these games agains Hou, seeing as Houston has an easier schedule.  Although we've been saying that from some time and they go ahead and lose 2-3 to the Brewers among others.  Also, the Nats still play Florida and Florida has 6 left against the Braves.  So the possibility of a sweep keeps us in it.  Not too worried about the Phils

Scot

The rest of the way
« Reply #1: September 13, 2005, 11:01:04 AM »
4 games back of the Marlins, 3.5 back of Houston, 3 back of Philadelphia; 18 games to play. The Nats playoff hopes are basically over - trailing 1 team by that many games with so few left to play you might have a chance, but trailing 3 teams?

It'll probably take 87-88 wins to get the WC in the NL this year. The Nats would have to go 14-4 to reach 87 wins. Given the schedule they've got (6 vs NYM, 3 vs FLO, 3 vs PHI, 3 vs SD, 3 vs SF) I don't see that happeneing. A realistic goal for 2005 should be finishing above .500 and avoiding the basement in the NL East. The playoff hopes died when they dropped 3 of 4 to the Marlins and 2 of 3 to the Braves.

Scot.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
The rest of the way
« Reply #2: September 13, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
The playoff hopes died when they dropped 3 of 4 to the Marlins and 2 of 3 to the Braves.

As much as I want to believe, I'm very much inclined to agree with that statement.

Offline Dave B

The rest of the way
« Reply #3: September 13, 2005, 02:27:42 PM »
i'm just stating what they need to do, not that they will do it. it is possible. though

Nationalzfanatic88

The rest of the way
« Reply #4: September 13, 2005, 05:39:35 PM »
Sure, its possible and it would be great if it happens. But my life has been made much easier by not desperately wanting it? Remeber, guys how I used to go all "DIVISION TITLE" and "WORLD SERIES" I actually believed that when I was saying it, and this was a very hard time on me cuz everytime they lost, it would be like a family memeber just died that is how seriously upset I would get. Now, I can watch Nats game and regardless of the result enjoy myself, so RELAX :lol:

Nationalzfanatic88

The rest of the way
« Reply #5: September 13, 2005, 05:41:21 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
i'm just stating what they need to do, not that they will do it. it is possible. though

o and let me point out, the only reason I still have even a glimmer of hope is because none of the other teams are playing that well either. The Phillies just recently got swept by the Astros at home. The Astros lost 2 of three to the BrewHAHAs and they seem to be losing games more often when their big three start. And Florida, just got pummeled by the Phils over the weekend. So, although its unlikely their is still little hope because the other teams suck just as much as we do and everybody tends to forget that

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
The rest of the way
« Reply #6: September 16, 2005, 10:45:27 AM »
Between now and the end of the season, all the Nats have to do earn a wild card birth is win 4 games more than Houston and 3 games more than the Phillies and Marlins. We're three back in the loss column against the Astros and two game down on Florida and Philadelphia.

On the weekend the Marlins play the Phillies, while Houston host the Brewers.  and to start the week the Marlins play the Mets, the Phillies the Braves and the Astros play the Pirates. Ideally, the Phillies win against the Marlins this weekend, The Brewers best the Astros, and to start the week, the Mets, Braves and the Pirates need to bring their A games to the ballpark. The Nats will need to do their share of winning during that time as well...

Its gonna be interesting...

Offline rileyn

The rest of the way
« Reply #7: September 16, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »
Because we still have 3 games left with both Florida and Philly you could say that we control our own destiny as it pertains to them.  As far as Houston, I really don't know what to expect from them.  The Brewers could be our best hope for help because St. Louis is playing out the string and the Cubs are a bunch of sissies.

All in all, I think that it will require at least 11-4 and possibly 12-3 to get in.  Here is how we do it:

2 of 3 from San Diego
sweep SF
2 of 3 from NYM
2 of 3 from Fla
2 of 3 from Phila

That would be 11-4.  This is a tall order, but who knows - we could finish out 14-1 and run away with this thing  :shock: