Author Topic: Off Season Reading  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Off Season Reading
« Topic Start: September 30, 2007, 07:16:02 PM »
Well today was the last day of the season and I have one last baseball book for October, but I decided to put it off for a bit and have started on one of the novels I had stashed away for the off season. So here is my reading list for the off season. If others have one they can post it here or suggest further reading.

Falling Man--Don Delillo
No Exit--Jean-Paul Satre
And then there were None--Agatha Christie
The Robber Bride--Margaret Atwood
Shoot the Piano Player--David Goodis
The Birth of Tragedy--Friedrich Nietzsche
A Universal History of Iniquity--Jorge Luis Borges
Shipwrecks--Akira Yoshimura
Heart Shaped Box--Joe Hill
The Histories--Herodotus
The Baron in the Trees--Italo Calvino

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Off Season Reading
« Reply #1: September 30, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »
Finish "THE CATCHER WAS A SPY"

then maybe:

Crazy 08, How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait Murphy

In the Shadow of the Senators.

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: September 30, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
Wow, that's an ambitious list (as far as subject matter depth). You and my hubby have similar tastes in reading, I'd say. He's been really pleased with courses from The Teaching Company in Chantilly. He's currently working on one of their philosophy courses. Don't know whether you're familiar with them but their site is www.teach12.com

We read No Exit in my high school French class. Also The Stranger. Existentialism and in a foreign language no less. Oy!

I also read all of Agatha Christie's books at one point (I tend to get on kicks and read all of a particular author's works).

I tend to read nonfiction all day for work so I like to read lighter stuff for pleasure. I'll probably try to make a dent in my stack of baseball books.

Well today was the last day of the season and I have one last baseball book for October, but I decided to put it off for a bit and have started on one of the novels I had stashed away for the off season. So here is my reading list for the off season. If others have one they can post it here or suggest further reading.

Falling Man--Don Delillo
No Exit--Jean-Paul Satre
And then there were None--Agatha Christie
The Robber Bride--Margaret Atwood
Shoot the Piano Player--David Goodis
The Birth of Tragedy--Friedrich Nietzsche
A Universal History of Iniquity--Jorge Luis Borges
Shipwrecks--Akira Yoshimura
Heart Shaped Box--Joe Hill
The Histories--Herodotus
The Baron in the Trees--Italo Calvino

« Reply #3: September 30, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (pen name to Stephen King's son), was a decent read.  Could of been a whole lot more.

For reading, I currently have on my plate:

Hey Rube by Hunter S. Thompson
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #4: September 30, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »
Wow, that's an ambitious list (as far as subject matter depth). You and my hubby have similar tastes in reading, I'd say. He's been really pleased with courses from The Teaching Company in Chantilly. He's currently working on one of their philosophy courses. Don't know whether you're familiar with them but their site is www.teach12.com

We read No Exit in my high school French class. Also The Stranger. Existentialism and in a foreign language no less. Oy!

I also read all of Agatha Christie's books at one point (I tend to get on kicks and read all of a particular author's works).

I tend to read nonfiction all day for work so I like to read lighter stuff for pleasure. I'll probably try to make a dent in my stack of baseball books.

I have been thinking about trying to find some courses to take somewhere. I am glad I was glad my proffessors in college taught the way they did. I quit the one class that wasn't going to be taught correctly though so I never really got to know another way. My proffessors focused on teaching us how to understand the subject instead of just having us memorize stuff.

They are also having an exhibition of Edward Hopper's art, featuring "Nighthawks," at the National Gallery until January 21.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: September 30, 2007, 09:47:51 PM »
Finish "THE CATCHER WAS A SPY"

then maybe:

Crazy 08, How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait Murphy

In the Shadow of the Senators.

I started in The Shadow of the Senators - it was great, but I had to return it to the library.

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: September 30, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
That'll be a good one to see!

They are also having an exhibition of Edward Hopper's art, featuring "Nighthawks," at the National Gallery until January 21.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: October 01, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »
That Hopper show should be a gem!!! 

I have been thinking about trying to find some courses to take somewhere. I am glad I was glad my proffessors in college taught the way they did. I quit the one class that wasn't going to be taught correctly though so I never really got to know another way. My proffessors focused on teaching us how to understand the subject instead of just having us memorize stuff.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: October 01, 2007, 12:13:06 AM »
Disgrace - Coetzee
Snow - Pamuk
The Thin Red Line - Jones

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: October 01, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »
I've been reading "Echoing Green" about all that led up to the Shot Heard 'round the world hit by Bobby Thompson.  I had no idea how much went on behind the scenes that year and the couple of years leading up to that moment.  It's a pretty good read, but I have a horrible habit reading about 6 books at once so it's taken me a while to get through it.  What I have read has been very entertaining and enlightening.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: October 01, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »
I do that, too, as does natsfan1c! My current "starter" is Bill Veeck's autobiography.

It's a pretty good read, but I have a horrible habit reading about 6 books at once so it's taken me a while to get through it.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #11: October 08, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
Just finished a really good baseball book. I hesitate to recommend it to all you Yankee haters, as it will only inflame your passions further. However, it's good! The Kansas City A's & the Wrong Half of the Yankees by Jeff Katz (obtainable from Amazon).It shows "How the Yankees Controlled Two of the Eight American League Franchises During the 1950's". Absolutely fascinating and disturbing stuff. The KC A's were the ipso facto farm club for New York. Highly recommended.