Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3  (Read 90639 times)

Offline kimnat

Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3
« Reply #125: September 30, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
I have never been so happy to see a player leave than Delgado.

Send him somewhere where it isn't so great and let's hear how bad the U.S. is.

Hey, did you all hear Bob's comment's on his status here?

MrMadison

« Reply #126: September 30, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »
Pena isn't as great as everyone thinks!  WHEN he hits the ball, it's sometimes good and he can hit it hard.  But he strikes out too much as his fielding isn't wonderful.

yet everyone goes apesh*t whenever the words "Adam Dunn" are said.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #127: September 30, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
Yeah, I just heard "It isn't over till its over" from his conversation with Kasten!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #128: September 30, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
yet everyone goes apesh*t whenever the words "Adam Dunn" are said.

NOT FROM ME!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #129: September 30, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Marlins on trading block:  CABRERA, Willis, Olsen, Uggla

Offline kimnat

« Reply #130: September 30, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
Rivera in now & got 2 outs

Offline kimnat

« Reply #131: September 30, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
Marlins on trading block:  CABRERA, Willis, Olsen, Uggla

They could be interesting.

MrMadison

« Reply #132: September 30, 2007, 03:14:32 PM »
He was outspoken in Toronto and while a Marlins how much he hates the US.  He makes a point of turning his back when the anthem and God Bless America are played.

Delgado doesn't "hate" the US.  his turning his back on the anthem and God Bless America is his form of silent protest for a specific cause. I forget what it was, but I am sure it can be looked up.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #133: September 30, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »
unreal.. Lopez and Belliard looking like idiots

MrMadison

« Reply #134: September 30, 2007, 03:16:44 PM »
re: Delgado.

Like his hero, Roberto Clemente, Delgado is a well-known humanitarian and peace activist and has been open about his political beliefs. As part of the Navy-Vieques protests, Delgado was actively opposed to the use of the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico as a bombing target practice facility by the United States Department of Defense, until bombing was halted in 2003. He is also against the occupation of Iraq. In the 2004 season, Delgado protested the war by silently staying in the dugout during the playing of God Bless America during the Seventh inning stretch. Delgado does not make a public show of his beliefs and even his teammates were not aware of his views until a story was published in July 2004 in the Toronto Star. Delgado was quoted as saying "It’s a very terrible thing that happened on September 11. It's (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq, ... I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war. But I think it's the stupidest war ever." The story was the subject of a media frenzy, mostly in New York, where on July 21, 2004, as was anticipated, Delgado was booed for his passive protest during a game at Yankee Stadium [1]. Angry New York fans booed him and, when Delgado lined out in the bottom 7th inning, fans chanted "USA, USA" even though Delgado, like all Puerto Ricans, is an American citizen. Delgado had explained that the playing of God Bless America had come to be equated with a war in which he didn't believe. In a New York Times interview, Delgado said this is what he believed in, and "It takes a man to stand up for what he believes."

After being traded to the Mets, in a conciliatory measure, Delgado now stands during the singing of "God Bless America."

Among other charity work, Delgado is well known for his generous visits to hospitals in his hometown where, on Three Kings Day, he brings toys to hospitalized children. In 2006, he joined Puerto Rico's Senate President in co-sponsoring a massive Three Kings gift-giving effort in the town of Loiza. Delgado started his own non-profit organization, "Extra Bases" to assist island youth.

For his efforts, Delgado was awarded with the Roberto Clemente Award in 2006. The award goes to the player in baseball who best exemplifies humanitarianism and sportsmanship and was named after Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente in 1973.

read the bold.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #135: September 30, 2007, 03:17:03 PM »
Delgado doesn't "hate" the US.  his turning his back on the anthem and God Bless America is his form of silent protest for a specific cause. I forget what it was, but I am sure it can be looked up.

I don't care what his "cause" is.  It doesn't belong on the baseball field!  He could at least just stay quiet and respectful for that moment.  He can give all kinds of statements to the press that he wants to, but keep it off the field!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #136: September 30, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »

He's said he hates the US several for different reasons.  He hates the US "occupation" of Puerto Rico, hates us for causing worldwide terrorism, hates us for the war in the middle east, and a few other things.

MrMadison

« Reply #137: September 30, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »
He's said he hates the US several for different reasons.  He hates the US "occupation" of Puerto Rico, hates us for causing worldwide terrorism, hates us for the war in the middle east, and a few other things.

read my previous post.  he doesn't HATE America.  he just disagrees with things the Country does, and he shows is disagreement by not standing and saluting the National Anthem. and it is his right as an american citizen to do so.

but then again, in this day and age in the U.S. if you don't think that America is the faultess savior of the World, then that means you hate America and everything it stands for, I guess.

but that's a different discussion and this isn't the thread for it. so I'll just say read the quote on delgado I posted, and leave it at that.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #138: September 30, 2007, 03:20:05 PM »
  He makes a point of turning his back when the anthem and God Bless America are played.

I have never seen him turn his back on the National Anthem or seen that documented by the media. He does stay in the dugout until God Bless America finishes but has said he would stay on the field if he made the last out.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5482059/

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #139: September 30, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »
unreal.. Lopez and Belliard looking like idiots

It just right between them. At first it looked like Belliard slowed up on the play unnecessarily, but then on the replay it seemed like he was reacting to what could have been a deflection by Lopez and he didn't want to get caught not getting the ball. No damage done as it turns out.

Same issue as the other day though. We need baserunners.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #140: September 30, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »
NATIONALS, DO YOU REALIZE YOU ARE FACING SOFT TOSSING JAMIE MOYER?? They are acting like they are facing a flamethrower like Jake Peavy

GOOD JOB BELLY

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #141: September 30, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
They've all seen him a couple of times now, it is time to start using that and the knowledge of the ump's zone and start poking the ball.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #142: September 30, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
read my previous post.  he doesn't HATE America.  he just disagrees with things the Country does, and he shows is disagreement by not standing and saluting the National Anthem. and it is his right as an american citizen to do so.

You should have heard some of his post game interviews.  Give the guy a mic and ask a question about the game, and he goes off like Chavez or Castro.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #143: September 30, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
WHY IN THE F*** DOES ZIM KEEP TAKING MEAT FASTBALLS FOR STRIKE 3??

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #144: September 30, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »
That one's on Zimmerman - he should know the ump is going to ring him up on that one.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #145: September 30, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
about time Dmitri

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #146: September 30, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
That one's on Zimmerman - he should know the ump is going to ring him up on that one.

Yeah, you have to be more protective of the plate. The ump has been giving the corners. And that's too close.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #147: September 30, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »
Finally we have a chance to score some runs!

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #148: September 30, 2007, 03:27:43 PM »
At least Moyer's out. One has to assume that Moyer was going to be done after this inning one way or another.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #149: September 30, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
DP and Kearns knew it right away. Change of speeds really made a difference. They should have been more patient.