Author Topic: Jim Callis on the Best and the Brightest in Baseball  (Read 430 times)

natslive

Jim Callis on the Best and the Brightest in Baseball
« Topic Start: September 09, 2005, 11:31:32 PM »
I wanted to post this interesting article that appeared in Baseball America.

Jim Callis was asked who he would hire if he was the owner of an expansion team. Obviously it goes right to the core of what Nats fans are looking for from a new owner. Oh for an owner before the snows fall.

For GM, I'd take Billy Beane or John Schuerholz. Beane's ability to field a consistent contender on a shoestring budget has been well documented.
Schuerholz, the only GM to win World Series championships in both leagues, is destined for Cooperstown and still at the top of his game.
I'll use a broad definition for assistant GM, and go with Dan Jennings
(Marlins) and Paul Ricciarini (Astros). Both guys have lots of scouting acumen, baseball contacts and energy, exactly what's needed for that job.
For farm director, I'll go with Dayton Moore (Braves) or Keith Lieppman (Athletics). Moore's work has made him one of the game's top GM candidates, while Lieppman has presided over the successful development of several Oakland prospects for the last 14 years.
My two choices for scouting director are Mike Radcliff (Twins) and Logan White (Dodgers). Radcliff, the dean of current scouting directors with 12 years of service, has helped provide the foundation of Minnesota's recent success with a series of strong drafts. His corps of scouts also has been instrumental in stealing players such as Johan Santana (Rule 5 draft) and Francisco Liriano (A.J. Pierzynski trade). Before White's first draft for Los Angeles in 2002, Baseball America rated the Dodgers system as the 25th-best in the game; three years later, the Dodgers had risen to No. 2 in our rankings.