Author Topic: What's the book on Rasner? Has anybody seen him pitch?  (Read 910 times)

Offline rileyn

Bullpen should be nice and rested if needed over the next 2 days.

Offline Dave B

What's the book on Rasner? Has anybody seen him pitch?
« Reply #1: September 05, 2005, 09:17:37 PM »
Sorry. Cant answer that. But does anybody if there are any plans for Jon Rausch. He was rehabbing in NO, and was doing well.  He was a long reliever and I think he could spot start.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: September 06, 2005, 03:14:22 AM »
They plan on calling up Jon Rauch later this week, I suspect they will call him up Tuesday or Wednesday, since NO is done for playing for this season.

natslive

« Reply #3: September 06, 2005, 06:43:18 AM »
Darrell Rasner was the best starter available and had a good year at Harrisburg, although David Maust has been very effectvie of late (5-4 2.32 ERA)

Check out the link below to the Nats Farm Report, I copied the text about Rasner. If so are so inclined the Prospect Handbook by Baseball America has some good information too.

We got to see him pitch and he has been a steady reliable pitcher, expect a lot of ground balls. Certainly at the top of the talent available, no fast ball but he has a good sinker and curve ball. Hopefully he will get over the pressure of making his first major league start and give the Nats some good innings.

Thank goodnees they are calling up some pitcing. I almost expected to see Kelly on the mound this weekend.

http://natsfarmreport.blogspot.com/

Impending Roster Moves
Charlie Slowes announced that the Nationals would be making three roster moves after Monday's game. Coming up to the Nats will be RH RP Travis Hughes and aged CA Keith Osik from New Orleans and RH SP Darrell Rasner from Harrisburg. Hughes and Rasner are on the 40-man so do not require any additional moves. Osik will be added to the roster spot freed up by moving RH SP Ryan Drese to the 60-day DL with shoulder surgery.

Hughes was unable to be recalled for 10 days (or the end of the Triple-A season) after being sent down last week. He will provide RH help in the bullpen as RH RP Luis Ayala will be undergoing an MRI on his ailing arm.

The 24-year old Rasner, a 2002 2nd round draft pick, will likely assume Tony Armas spot in the rotation. Armas is going to Texas for a check-up on his shoulder. Rasner is a sinkerball pitcher with adequate control. In 27 games this year with Harrisburg (26 starts/1CG), Rasner was 6-7 with a 3.59ERA. In 150.1IP, he has given up 150H (10HR) while walking 29 and striking out 96. Think Zach Day (hopefully with thicker skin). He is probably a #4/5 SP at best but it will be interesting to see what he can bring to the Nationals down the stretch.