Author Topic: frank's stare down with the ump last night......  (Read 1501 times)

tomwaits

frank's stare down with the ump last night......
« Topic Start: September 01, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »
was classic. it lasted a good 45 seconds in between innings.......did anyone else see it?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: September 01, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »
Nope, missed it.  Care to elaborate?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2: September 01, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »
SportsCenter showed it in it's entirety.  Too funny.  You knew Frank wasn't going to give in first.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: September 01, 2005, 07:41:58 PM »
Wish I'd seen it.

CapitolCityGoofball

« Reply #4: September 01, 2005, 09:13:21 PM »
It looked more like a senile old man trying to remember where his socks were than anything else.   Umpire had same reaction as me - staring quizzically, and finally shaking his head in disgust.  Great Frank, you're a tough guy, now if only you knew how to manage...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: September 01, 2005, 10:14:09 PM »
omg that was hilarious. gotta love the crazy stuff frank gets into.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #6: September 02, 2005, 09:21:16 AM »
Here's what happened, as I saw it.  Runners at first and second, one out, 3-2 count, runners moving. Batter takes the pitch, which was one of those that could have been called either way. (It was over the plate, either at or below the knees. Looked like it dropped below the knees, but it could have caught the strike zone before it dropped.  Anyway that's what it looked like on TV.)  Umpire hesitates, runner attempting to steal third (Wilkerson) slows, assuming it's a ball. But umpire calls strike three, late call.  So Wilkerson's thrown out at third, because he slowed down, thinking it was a walk.  

The beef that Frank had was the late call.  Certainly in that situation the umpire has to be decisive and make an immediate call.

Following the inning, the umpire approached the dugout to talk to Frank and Frank told him "don't come over here I don't want to talk to you".  The staring contest followed.

I can't decide who's dumber in all this: the umpire, for late call; Wikerson, for slowing down; or Frank, who all season has been sending runners with 3-2 and less than two outs, and every single time as I recall it's been a double play.    

Can anyone recall an instance this season, with 3-2, less than two outs, runner at first or runners at first and second, runners going, that has resulted in either a walk or a hit?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: September 02, 2005, 04:33:11 PM »
Ray, weren't they sending a couple of runners last night on a hit?  I was listening to the radio, and sorry, I don't really remember which play, but I think they scored two on a hit and run.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #8: September 03, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
Tom - That may have happened, I don't recall.

But specifically, I'm talking about the Nats' tendency to run on 3-2 with less than two outs.   It's a fundamentally sound strategy in certain situations, always risky though -- and  Frank seems to do it almost all the time, without much regard to the situation,  who the baserunner is, nor the batter,  and it never seems to work.  I can't count the number of times the batter has taken a close pitch, it was called a strike, and the runner has been thrown out for a double-play.

--Ray