Author Topic: Budget Restriants  (Read 1601 times)

natslive

Budget Restriants
« Topic Start: September 01, 2005, 07:00:17 AM »
The posting on Nats Farm Authority reports: "Ryan Zimmerman will be called up today. Budget restraints prevent the Nats from calling up more players. However, Bowden expects more promotions in another week?"

What is going on here.

Scot

Budget Restriants
« Reply #1: September 01, 2005, 09:05:24 AM »
Another factor to keep in mind:

The minor league seasons aren't over yet - they wrap up next week. As much as the minor league teams are about providing talent to the majors, you don't want to totally abuse that by calling up a bunch of players who are just going to sit on the major league bench and leave the minor league teams short-handed. Calling up Zimmerman is one thing - he could potentially help the major league team right away, in a relatively significant role. Harris, Short, Godwin, Watson, etc? They're just going to ride the back end of the bench. I think we'll see a bunch more players called up next week, after the minor league seasons end.

Scot.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Budget Restriants
« Reply #2: September 01, 2005, 09:55:38 AM »
Both New Orleans and Harrisburg's season end on Monday, so it makes sense for any other call ups to happen after they've played their last game. I expect they will add a more players to the roster by the middle of next week.

It would be ridiculous to not allow call-ups because of budget constraints as an excuse, especially after MLB had already given Bowden the green light to add a couple million in payroll prior to the trading deadline. If that were to happen, it will be clear to some people (congress?) that MLB is purposely hindering the Nats chances of winning by limiting the number of players the team can add to its roster.

If it were to happen that no more call-ups are allowed, congress should seriously consider repealing MLB's antitrust exemption.

natslive

Budget Restriants
« Reply #3: September 01, 2005, 10:12:05 AM »
Yes call ups can hurt the minor league teams especially those in a title race. But the focus for the post was the lack of money to bring players up. I hope that this is not the case. If so once again the Expos/Nats get scewed.

Offline Ray D

Budget Restriants
« Reply #4: September 01, 2005, 11:14:33 AM »
Yes that theory is sound, but what budget "restraints" will be lifted when the minor league season is over?  (And it's "constraints" not "restraints". We're not dealing with educated people.)

Scot

Budget Restriants
« Reply #5: September 01, 2005, 12:01:06 PM »
natslive:

read the article again. Bowden says that if they wait a few days, they'll be able to call up 1 or 2 guys MORE than they had originally planned, not 1 or 2 guys. As I read it, Bowden is saying that they could call up a 5 players today (for example, I don't know what the exact number is), but 6-7 if they wait a few days.

I think people are making way too much of this. September callups aren't going to have that much of an impact, and they guys who could have an impact (the addition of cruz, the callup of Zimmerman) are going to be with the team.

Scot.

natslive

Budget Restriants
« Reply #6: September 01, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks Scott and I hate to go one but this really gets under my skin.

I copied the last two paragraphs from article by Bill Ladson on the Nats web site.

Zimmerman is the only player from the Nationals' farm system that will be called up on Thursday. Budget restraints prevented them from calling up more players. However, Bowden expects more promotions in another week.

"We are going to make the best moves we can and watch out budget," Bowden said. "The Triple-A team [in New Orleans] plays through Sept. 5. So it may be an advantage to wait a few days, save the money and call up an extra one or two guys rather than call them up right now and limit ourselves."

How much money are they talking about. Take the major league minimum times the days and it does not look like a budget killer to me. Someone help me.

Scot

Budget Restriants
« Reply #7: September 01, 2005, 01:06:23 PM »
Prorated portion of the minimum salary comes out to about $1500 a day per player (~$45000-50000 per player per month). And that's just salary - there's also the daily meal allowance, travel expenses, hotel room, benefits, etc. Figure maybe $2500 per day per player total. Not a ton of money in the big scheme of things, but still significant money. 6 players at $2500 a day for 6 days is about $100,000. which is enough of a savings to be able to afford another player or two called up for 3-4 weeks.

Scot.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Budget Restriants
« Reply #8: September 01, 2005, 01:14:45 PM »
Personally I'm eager to see what Zimmerman and Cruz can bring to the team in tonight's closer against Atlanta.  It seems very unlikely that they could be any worse than Guzman and Castilla, and if they have the "first night" hots, it could really help us get a series win against Atlanta, which I believe would give us a huge boost in confidence going into the homestand :)

natslive

Budget Restriants
« Reply #9: September 01, 2005, 02:42:35 PM »
Scot, sorry for getting your name wrong.

Returning to the article, the post states only Zimmerman for now. I can think of several players I would being up to help the Nats when they face Philly this weekend. If money is a problem something is wrong.

ARGH!