Author Topic: Logan keeps on hitting  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Dave B

Re: Logan keeps on hitting
« Reply #25: September 05, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »
I'd rather have him hitting around .240 next year with 15 or 20 homers (not to mention plenty of room for growth)

I dont think that is a given. Maxwell put up big numbers as one of the older players in A-ball.  I'm not trying to crap on the guy, but I'm not going to get too excited

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: September 05, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »

A more complete stat would be an OPS that was modified for steals and hitting into double plays.  I dont know why the stat geeks havent done this yet. It seems like a pretty obvious stat to me if trying to account for everything a player does.

VORP is all inclusive, but has the drawback of being a cumulative stat over the course of a season, so you can't readily compare a VORP at one point in a season to the VORP after that point.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #27: September 05, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
I want Dunn or Rowand!!!!!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #28: September 05, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
As far as the concern about home runs...I think the new ground may be a bit softer home-run touch than RFK.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: September 05, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
By the way, Logan will be on the bench tonight.  Pena, Church, Kearns starting.

Steve Heezy

« Reply #30: September 05, 2007, 03:18:04 PM »
I'm not sold on Maxwell yet. At 23 he started the year in Hagerstown and was promoted to Potomac. He will be 24 this off season and hasn't even seen AA yet. He is getting old quickly. I do not see him in the majors next year but maybe starts in AA and with decent numbers being moved to AAA. He definitely is not ready for the show. I really don't think he could put up the numbers you suggest next year.

Also, while Logan has had a few slap hits he has had some serious liners to the gaps and down the lines. He is making very good contact.

Steve Heezy

« Reply #31: September 05, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »
Sorry Dave, didn't see your post before I made mine, but we are on the same page.

Offline ernie0326

« Reply #32: September 05, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
Call me crazy or whatnot, but I just have a gut feeling that if we just kick Nook Logan to the curb and he goes to another team and just GOES OFF, we'll be saying stuff like "we should kept him!".....DAMN, why did we get rid of him?? ...etc...etc...

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #33: September 05, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »
Call me crazy or whatnot, but I just have a gut feeling that if we just kick Nook Logan to the curb and he goes to another team and just GOES OFF, we'll be saying stuff like "we should kept him!".....DAMN, why did we get rid of him?? ...etc...etc...

This is why he wasn't outrighted to the minors when he was struggling. A team made it known they would have grabbed him off waivers, and we didn't want to lose him.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #34: September 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »
Nook would definitely draw interest now from teams. He can be an ideal leadoff man in tha major, and plus his defense and range in cf isn't being fukked wiht by many others.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #35: September 05, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »
He can be an ideal leadoff man in tha major
Mark my words: he NEVER will be.  He simply doesn't draw enough walks.  He'd have to hit about .330 to put up a really desirable OBP for the leadoff spot.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #36: September 06, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
Hanley Ramirez is an ideal leadoff hitter. Alfonso Soriano is a leadoff hitter.

Nook Logan is nowhere close to that and will never be unless he learns to walk more. And hit home runs. And hit for average.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #37: September 06, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
Hanley Ramirez is an ideal leadoff hitter. Alfonso Soriano is a leadoff hitter.

Nook Logan is nowhere close to that and will never be unless he learns to walk more. And hit home runs. And hit for average.

Home run hitting leadoff men are a relatively new phenomenon, and aren't as useful as home run hitting left fielders who bat 4th. Soriano would be better served batting 3rd or 4th, but he has some sort of mental block about hitting later in the order. Ramirez is slugging his way out of the leadoff spot as well. You want those home runs with men on base.

I think everyone would be thrilled to see Logan walk more.