Author Topic: IT PISSES ME OFF  (Read 6025 times)

nospinzone1

IT PISSES ME OFF
« Topic Start: September 03, 2007, 11:21:04 PM »
EMAIL TO SHEININ

I sympathize with giving him a day. I loved Roberto, his career, his humanitarian effort that got him killed. However, he does not have anything to do with the history of the Nats or Senators. It seems to me that the Nats ignoring the contributions of the Cuban players by not giving them a day is disinginious. Besides the negro league players , if any group deserves a day is the Cuban players. Kasten and PR dept. obiously have ignored my pleas for a day for the Cubna group. IT PISSES ME OFF! Jim

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Re: IT PISSES ME OFF
« Reply #1: September 03, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
I don't really understand what you are saying to be honest. If you are going to give Cubans a day why not give every culture a day? It gets a little ridiculous when you compare contributions of Roberto Clemente or Jackie Robinson to contributions of Cuban players or other cultures. Seriously, am I missing something?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: September 03, 2007, 11:37:36 PM »
I don't mean this maliciously, but I'd have to think that as long as Castro is in power and the embargo is in place a day honoring the contribution of Cubans, though great and deserving of recognition, probably wouldn't go over well, especially in a place like DC.  Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's my thoughts on that.

nospinzone1

« Reply #3: September 04, 2007, 12:02:34 AM »
I don't really understand what you are saying to be honest. If you are going to give Cubans a day why not give every culture a day? It gets a little ridiculous when you compare contributions of Roberto Clemente or Jackie Robinson to contributions of Cuban players or other cultures. Seriously, am I missing something?

you sure are missing the point....put on your glasses and reread my post....THE ONLY ETHNIC GROUP OR NATIONALITY THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE SENATORS AND NATS FOR MANY, MANY YEARS WERE THE CUBAN PLAYERS. NO OTHER GROUP QUALIFIES....NO OTHER GROUP DID SHEIS FOR THE FRANCHISE.

nospinzone1

« Reply #4: September 04, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »
I don't mean this maliciously, but I'd have to think that as long as Castro is in power and the embargo is in place a day honoring the contribution of Cubans, though great and deserving of recognition, probably wouldn't go over well, especially in a place like DC.  Maybe I'm wrong there, but that's my thoughts on that.

DOES NOT HAVE A DAMN THING TO DO WITH IT. KASTRO IS POLITICS. I AM TALKING BASEBALL. I AM TALKING HISTORY OF THE SENATORS/NATS.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: September 04, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
^If we can have Castro sit in the owner's box at Oriole Park, we can certainly have a day for Cuban players on the Senators who sought refuge in America. (post directed at DPMOmaha)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #6: September 04, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
you sure are missing the point....put on your glasses and reread my post....THE ONLY ETHNIC GROUP OR NATIONALITY THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE SENATORS AND NATS FOR MANY, MANY YEARS WERE THE CUBAN PLAYERS. NO OTHER GROUP QUALIFIES....NO OTHER GROUP DID SHEIS FOR THE FRANCHISE.

But the Senators have no relation to the Nationals besides geography. You should be complaining to the Twins or Rangers, not the Nationals.

nospinzone1

« Reply #7: September 04, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »
But the Senators have no relation to the Nationals besides geography. You should be complaining to the Twins or Rangers, not the Nationals.

WOW....PARDON YOUR IGNORANCE. THE SENATORS WERE THE ORIGINAL TEAM. THE ROOTS OF THE SENATORS. THE SENATORS WERE THE PRECURSORS TO THE TWINS AND TEXAS RTANGERS AND NOW THE NATIONALS. THERE HAVE BEEN CUBAN PLAYERS IN THE BIGS SINCE MORE YERS THAN MY 71. A CUBAN PITCHER, WHO TAUGHT PASCUAL HOW TO THROW THAT FANTASTIC DROP CURVE, ADOLFO LUQUE, WON 27 GAMES IN 1927 IN THE BIG LEAGUES. IN THE 40S DURING THE WORLD WAR II, THE SENATORS HAD A PERMANENT SCOUT FOR THE WINTER LEAGUE BY THE NAME OF JOE CAMBRIA, WHO SIGNED MANY A CUBAN PLAYERS FOR THE SENATORS.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #8: September 04, 2007, 12:14:28 AM »
WOW....PARDON YOUR IGNORANCE. THE SENATORS WERE THE ORIGINAL TEAM. THE ROOTS OF THE SENATORS. THE SENATORS WERE THE PRECURSORS TO THE TWINS AND TEXAS RTANGERS AND NOW THE NATIONALS. THERE HAVE BEEN CUBAN PLAYERS IN THE BIGS SINCE MORE YERS THAN MY 71. A CUBAN PITCHER, WHO TAUGHT PASCUAL HOW TO THROW THAT FANTASTIC DROP CURVE, ADOLFO LUQUE, WON 27 GAMES IN 1927 IN THE BIG LEAGUES. IN THE 40S DURING THE WORLD WAR II, THE SENATORS HAD A PERMANENT SCOUT FOR THE WINTER LEAGUE BY THE NAME OF JOE CAMBRIA, WHO SIGNED MANY A CUBAN PLAYERS FOR THE SENATORS.

Still not understanding what the Senators have to do with the Nationals other than geography. Celebrate Canadians! We use to be from Montreal!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: September 04, 2007, 12:17:03 AM »
 :lol:

Nospin is right, though.  The history of the Senators is intertwined with the history of the Nationals.  It's DC baseball.  In fact, the reason that this team is called the Nationals is because the original Senators team was officially the Nationals.  People called them the Washington "Senators," and it stuck.

We're going to have statues of Frank Howard and Walter Johnson (at least I think I read this) at the new park. 

Agree with it or not, the Nationals are celebrating the Senators as a part of their history.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: September 04, 2007, 12:25:08 AM »
I'm a bigger believer in celebrating the individual.

nospinzone1

« Reply #11: September 04, 2007, 12:33:13 AM »
I'm a bigger believer in celebrating the individual.

IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO CLEMENTE, I LOVED THE GUY AND EVERYTHING HE DID IN LIFE. HOWEVER, HE DOES NOT HAVE A THING TO DO WITH NATS HISTORY. PERIOD.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #12: September 04, 2007, 12:40:25 AM »
I still say we get a Jason Bay statue and celebrate the likes of Morneau, Jeff Francis, Eric Gagne, and Russell Martin.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: September 04, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO CLEMENTE, I LOVED THE GUY AND EVERYTHING HE DID IN LIFE. HOWEVER, HE DOES NOT HAVE A THING TO DO WITH NATS HISTORY. PERIOD.

No, no. My point is that an individual should be celebrated, not a people, in baseball. Why give something extra or take something away from an individual because of his nationality? If there is a great innovator, fine, but having one or two great seasons + being Cuban (or any other nationality) does not warrant a special day, IMO.

The fact is, Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, but had he not been a fantastic baseball player, I can guarantee you he wouldn't be as celebrated as he is today (although he should be because he was a FIRST). He was a true innovator, as well as Clemente.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: September 04, 2007, 12:47:54 AM »
I still say we get a Jason Bay statue and celebrate the likes of Morneau, Jeff Francis, Eric Gagne, and Russell Martin.

They need to have a full career first.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #15: September 04, 2007, 12:50:16 AM »
They need to have a full career first.
Not in my book. The Yankees sit there during the mid-6th inning honoring A-Rod and his homers!

While we are at it we can honor Matt Chico too!!

nospinzone1

« Reply #16: September 04, 2007, 12:52:20 AM »
STILL, NO GROUP EVER CONTRIBUTED MORE TO THE HISTORY OF THE SENATORS/NATS THAN THE CUBANS. LET IT BE SAID, LET IT BE WRITTEN.

« Reply #17: September 04, 2007, 12:53:11 AM »
I don't see the point in all these "days."  Its not like the average fan gives a rats ass after nine innings of baseball.  They go, they stand and clap on cue, have the moment of silence, sit down, watch the game, go home.

I just don't see why we NEED to have a day for Cubans.  Yeah, they played important roles during the Senator years but I don't see us having a "Walter Johnson Day" or a "Frank Howard Day" either.  Having these "days" to be PC and appease a minority of people and interest groups "just because" almost lessens the achievements IMO.  A sort of "its thrown in your face" commercialization.

But DPM is right, politics do play a role in such a thing.  If you can't even smoke a simple cigar from Cuba in this country your nuts thinking your getting Cubans honored in Washington D.C. 

nospinzone1

« Reply #18: September 04, 2007, 01:02:10 AM »
I don't see the point in all these "days."  Its not like the average fan gives a rats ass after nine innings of baseball.  They go, they stand and clap on cue, have the moment of silence, sit down, watch the game, go home.

I just don't see why we NEED to have a day for Cubans.  Yeah, they played important roles during the Senator years but I don't see us having a "Walter Johnson Day" or a "Frank Howard Day" either.  Having these "days" to be PC and appease a minority of people and interest groups "just because" almost lessens the achievements IMO.  A sort of "its thrown in your face" commercialization.

But DPM is right, politics do play a role in such a thing.  If you can't even smoke a simple cigar from Cuba in this country your nuts thinking your getting Cubans honored in Washington D.C. 

I STILL DONT SEE WHAT POLITICS AND BASEBALL HAVE A THING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. BESIDES, IF YUOU WANT TO SMOKE A STINKING CUBAN CIGAR YOU CAN GET IT ANYWAY. IT MAY NOT BE LEGAL BUT YOU CAN. SHEIS YOU CAN GO TO CUBA BY A THIRD COUNTRY ALTHOUGH IT IS ILEGAL TO TRAVEL TO CUBA. AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT, WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE BILLIONS IN ARREARS IN EXPORTS/IMMPORTS WITH THE CHINESE WHO USE THEIR POLITICAL PRISONERS TO MANUFACTRUE THE SHEIS THEY SELL US.?

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #19: September 04, 2007, 01:03:18 AM »

TOTALLY agree with your points.

OMG wow I am watching baseball tonight and the host just said we are celebrating Canadian players today! That is a HILARIOUS coincidence.

nospinzone1

« Reply #20: September 04, 2007, 01:03:54 AM »
AU CONTRAIRE I DO BELIEVE IN "DAYS" HOWARD HAD ONE; WALTER JOHNSON HAD SEVERAL. I SUPPOSE YOU ARE ALSO OPPOSED TO HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL IN OUR AREA NAMED FOR WALTER JOHNSON. CUB AN PLAYERS DO HAVE A PLACE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR BASEBALL CLUB.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #21: September 04, 2007, 01:11:57 AM »
AU CONTRAIRE I DO BELIEVE IN "DAYS" HOWARD HAD ONE; WALTER JOHNSON HAD SEVERAL. I SUPPOSE YOU ARE ALSO OPPOSED TO HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL IN OUR AREA NAMED FOR WALTER JOHNSON. CUB AN PLAYERS DO HAVE A PLACE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR BASEBALL CLUB.

No I think that is cool. If the school was named "Cuban High", no, I would not think that would be cool.

« Reply #22: September 04, 2007, 01:18:51 AM »
I STILL DONT SEE WHAT POLITICS AND BASEBALL HAVE A THING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. BESIDES, IF YUOU WANT TO SMOKE A STINKING CUBAN CIGAR YOU CAN GET IT ANYWAY. IT MAY NOT BE LEGAL BUT YOU CAN. SHEIS YOU CAN GO TO CUBA BY A THIRD COUNTRY ALTHOUGH IT IS ILEGAL TO TRAVEL TO CUBA. AND WHILE WE ARE AT IT, WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE BILLIONS IN ARREARS IN EXPORTS/IMMPORTS WITH THE CHINESE WHO USE THEIR POLITICAL PRISONERS TO MANUFACTRUE THE SHEIS THEY SELL US.?

It has everything to do with it.  I'm surprised as political and "know it all of the world" you don't see it.

Remember the WBC?  Cuba had a hell of a time getting their team into the states to play a simple baseball game and even when they were finally given permission, they were under constant guard?  Thats how anal this country is when it comes to anything Cuban.  The US Government does not want us to recognize anything that has to do with Cuba due to past events and the embargo.  Products, ideas, politics...if its Cuban, its squat and not allowed says our illustrious government.

Now you want to hold some day honoring Cubans in the United States Nations Capitol.  That's like walking into downtown Manhattan trying to celebrate Al-Qaeda.  With the current political climate and how botched our government is, a day for Cubans just isn't going to happen no matter how much they deserve it or not.

Your Cuban and your proud.  Great.  But it just sounds like you just want to push a Cuban Day just for that reason.  Plenty of players of plenty of creeds played for the Washington Senators and contributed.  If you want a "Senators Day" where all former Washington Senators are recognized thats fine but that is going to be the closest you will get.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #23: September 04, 2007, 01:19:40 AM »
Not in my book. The Yankees sit there during the mid-6th inning honoring A-Rod and his homers!

While we are at it we can honor Matt Chico too!!

A-Rod's this era's Babe Ruth. He deserves it.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #24: September 04, 2007, 01:24:11 AM »
A-Rod's this era's Babe Ruth. He deserves it.

So does Matt Stairs!