Author Topic: Put Vidro on Waivers?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Dave B

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Topic Start: August 30, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »
Tell me if I'm overreacting.  Would anyone agree with putting Vidro on waivers? He makes 7 mil a year through 2008, is not helping us this year and I feel that money could be better spent.

I'm basing this on his injured past.  I can overlook the ankle injury, but sore/pulled quads?  Are you kidding me?  Some things happen because of a freak accident, but sore quads just mean you are injury prone.

I'm really thinking the Red Sox would want him. So I think he has some value.  

If they (or someone else) sign him straight up, that takes the contract off our hands.  Or we can end up trading him.

It's not a "sneak through waivers" situation.  Put him there for the taking.

Scot

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #1: August 30, 2005, 10:50:47 AM »
Not sure there's be any takers - Todd Walker is reportedly available, and he's playing better and much less expensive than Vidro is right now.

Ig the Nats did put vidro on waivers (and who knows, they might already have done so), I wouldn't be surprised if he went through unclaimed. With his injury problems the last few years, poor performance this year and big money due for the next 3 years he's not really all that attractive to other teams.

Scot.

CapitolCityGoofball

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #2: August 31, 2005, 09:59:24 PM »
Yes, you are over-reacting.  I too have trashed Vidro, as well as Bowden for giving him the extension, but I have accepted it was the best option.

Yes he is a hideously un-clutch pop-up machine right now, and a boneheaded baserunner, but he has been hampered by nagging injuries which will likely heal over the offseason.   Remember the anticipation when Vidro was going to come off the DL and make the 50-31 Nats an offensive force?  He is a career .300 hitter good for ~18HR and ~75RBI in a full reasonably healthy season and a serviceable fielder.  It is too early to give up on him, based on his career and relatively young age.

If he was let go, who plays second everyday in '06? Spivey? Carroll?  I don't see any better free agents out there.

NatsCaps19

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #3: August 31, 2005, 10:44:30 PM »
c'mon isn't he a career .300 hitter? I will admit the Nats sprung a leak when he came back, but put him on waivers?

And personally I don't think Spivey is as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Offline Dave B

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #4: September 01, 2005, 09:50:38 AM »
He missed 50 games last year and 50 games this year. And considering he is playing on quads that give him range a little better than Baerga, I dont think the guy can hold up anymore.   His .300 days might be behind him.

Things like knee and ankle injuries happen for whatever reason.  Sore quads is a sign this guy can't start and stop running on his own without getting hurt.  And you have to start and stop running frequently, so his prospects of getting hurt like this again are pretty high.  And the Nats are on the hook for 3 more years at 7 mil a year.

Offline Dave B

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #5: September 02, 2005, 10:43:27 AM »
um, yeah...

Kenz, dont you have an opinion about this. I think you were all about shopping Vidro earlier in the season

Scot

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #6: September 02, 2005, 11:01:31 AM »
I think Vidro is a liability at this point, with that contract. I think his best days are behind him both offensively and defensively, and that he's not going to perform anywhere near the level he's being paid for. If the Nats could get someone to take Vidro and pick up all of his remaining contract, they should do so and use the money saved to improve elsewhere. Go with Harris at 2B, or else sign/trade for some other 2B.

Scot.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #7: September 02, 2005, 11:25:07 AM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
um, yeah...

Kenz, dont you have an opinion about this. I think you were all about shopping Vidro earlier in the season

Vidro should have been traded the first week he came off the DL. I said back then the longer Bowden waits, the less value he'll have. He could have been packaged with a minor league pitcher or two to get us either a quality starter or possibly another 2B with power (ie. Soriano) Whoever the Gm is once the new owners take over, they will have some hard decisions to make. There are too many injury prone players on this team and that's not good baseball economics. You cant contend if your players are spending so much time on the DL or recouping. Injuries do happen, but at the rate the Nats players keep going on the DL, is not funny at all.

The time to get something of value for Vidro was when he just came off the DL, now, IMO, he's not worth even a half decent prospect.

Scot

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #8: September 02, 2005, 11:38:47 AM »
The blame for Vidro has to fall on Minaya, IMHO. He was the one who signed Vidro to the big-money multi-year deal WHILE VIDRO WAS ON THE DL RECOVERING FROM MAJOR KNEE SURGERY. I thought it was a terrible deal at the time, and it's been playing out pretty much as  expected.

Scot.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #9: September 02, 2005, 04:38:09 PM »
Do we have Spivey under contract next season?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #10: September 02, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
The blame for Vidro has to fall on Minaya, IMHO. He was the one who signed Vidro to the big-money multi-year deal WHILE VIDRO WAS ON THE DL RECOVERING FROM MAJOR KNEE SURGERY. I thought it was a terrible deal at the time, and it's been playing out pretty much as  expected.

Scot.

Minaya quite possibly already had a good idea he would be going to the Mets, even at the time he signed Vidro to the extension. Signing half a player to three extra years helps insure you have one more edge over the other teams in your division. Minaya's heart has always been in NY. I don't think he ever really cared that much about the Expos.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #11: September 02, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Do we have Spivey under contract next season?

Spivey's not a free agent until after the 2006 season.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #12: September 02, 2005, 05:27:49 PM »
I have to admit, I haven't seen anything from Vidro this season that leads me to believe we should keep him.

CapitolCityGoofball

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #13: September 02, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »
Hindsight is 20/20.  Who's to say there would have been any takers for a fresh-off the-DL Vidro two months ago?   I don't think much of Bowden, but it is unrealistic and unfair to say he should have made a major trade mid-season.  MLB still owns the team.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #14: September 02, 2005, 07:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "CapitolCityGoofball"
Hindsight is 20/20.  Who's to say there would have been any takers for a fresh-off the-DL Vidro two months ago?   I don't think much of Bowden, but it is unrealistic and unfair to say he should have made a major trade mid-season.  MLB still owns the team.

Actually Texas was willing to give up Soriano for Vidro and a pitcher. Bowden balked (btw, I have no idea who the pitcher was and I wont speculate on who it may have been)

Nationalzfanatic88

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #15: September 02, 2005, 07:10:09 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "CapitolCityGoofball"

Actually Texas was willing to give up Soriano for Vidro and a pitcher. Bowden balked (btw, I have no idea who the pitcher was and I wont speculate on who it may have been)

Soriano? Are you fo' serious? I know that guy hits like at least 20 homers a season and that it would be a HUGE plus for our offense!! But have you seen him play ( or at least try) second base!! Doesnt he have like the most errors for a second base man in the majors?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #16: September 02, 2005, 07:22:48 PM »
Soriano like most Rangers players get all their hitting done at home, most stink on the road. I'm not sure Soriano would have been the answer, but I do think it would have removed Vidro's influence on the bench and clubhouse and that in itself would have helped tremendously.

CapitolCityGoofball

Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #17: September 02, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »
Where (and when) did the Vidro-Soriano trade story come from?  I've heard many Soriano trade rumors this year, but none including the Nats.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Put Vidro on Waivers?
« Reply #18: September 02, 2005, 10:36:14 PM »
During the summer I spend so much free time reading news reports and notes on players and teams, I cant remember exactly where I saw the Soriano possible trade. I don't keep notes of everything I read, sorry. You can try a net search, you might find reference to it that way