Author Topic: A DAMN Good Column by Tom Boswell  (Read 998 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
A DAMN Good Column by Tom Boswell
« Topic Start: August 30, 2005, 12:43:37 AM »
Stop Your Sobbing

By Thomas Boswell

Tuesday, August 30, 2005; Page E01

On Sunday, Jose Guillen spoke the truth. He just didn't realize how correct he was. "We all stink," he said, meaning the Washington Nationals. However, Guillen missed the larger point. All of the teams in the National League wild-card race stink.

But one of these smelly clubs is going to go to the playoffs despite its aroma. There's no reason why it couldn't be the Nats, especially if they survive this week's four-game visit to Atlanta, the roughest dates left on their schedule.

View the Entire Article Here

Offline joabee

« Reply #1: August 30, 2005, 03:41:41 AM »
I totally agree. A very well written column.
What one has to keep in mind (me particularly  :D ) is that we are only a mere 2 1/2 games from the wild card despite how badly we have played the recent month(s). If someone would have told me in the beginning of the season that we could be this close in the pennant race in the end of August, I would have said lets take it! It is so easy to get stuck into negative thinking as the latter part of the season has (yet) been a huge disappointment. If only the nats could just hit (!) the reset button, restart and wake up to see that the wild card is within reach.
Lets go nats!!!

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #2: August 30, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »
On Saturday and Sunday, RFK Stadium held 85,384 fans, the biggest back-to-back crowds of the year.

As an avid reader of Boswell's articles, and as right on as he might be a lot of the time, he really stinks when it comes to numbers. The 85,384 fans was not the biggest back-to-back crowds of the year, the two games against the Cubs in mid May were. (86,932)

Other than his tiny problem with numbers, this is another great article by Boswell.

natslive

« Reply #3: August 30, 2005, 05:09:10 PM »
I enjoyed the article, thanks for posting it.

We were at RFK when Livan tossed his glove and whatever else he could grab into the stands. We watched Jose bunt with runners at first and second and you have read the remarks by Wilkerson and others in the article.

I don?t understand what is going on. Now I can understand players being injured and having their skills diminish. I understand the desire to win and the frustration of losing. But these guys seem to be coming apart..

The dog days of August tend to separate the good from the bad but there is something else going on here.

The Nats by every convention should be the easy going ?What me worry!? team. What do they have to prove?

No big payroll for those in the media to throw down their throats.

Expectations?

Not for this group to worry about. When my wife said they would finish around .500 I told her she was being way too generous.

These are the orphans that MLB wanted to throw away. Then came the relocation to Washington and Bowden was picked and had to throw the team together at breakneck speed with a minimal budget and then came the injuries.

The result an uptight team in a wild card race.

I know it sounds silly but I wonder if the players are not concerned about a lack of an owner or the need to win or their fan base goes south. Certainly no team in a payoff race has ever been in these circumstances.

Last week I was talking to some Nats fans at Bowie. One Nats fan said this is his first wild card chase and I agreed it has been an amazing year.

So maybe the message to the players should be; the fans will be back next year along with a new owner, the future is bright. So play hard, play good fundamental ball, be smart, be aggressive and have some fun.

Offline Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #4: August 30, 2005, 05:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "natslive"
I enjoyed the article, thanks for posting it.

We were at RFK when Livan tossed his glove and whatever else he could grab into the stands. We watched Jose bunt with runners at first and second and you have read the remarks by Wilkerson and others in the article.

I don?t understand what is going on. Now I can understand players being injured and having their skills diminish. I understand the desire to win and the frustration of losing. But these guys seem to be coming apart..

The dog days of August tend to separate the good from the bad but there is something else going on here.

The Nats by every convention should be the easy going ?What me worry!? team. What do they have to prove?

No big payroll for those in the media to throw down their throats.

Expectations?

Not for this group to worry about. When my wife said they would finish around .500 I told her she was being way too generous.

These are the orphans that MLB wanted to throw away. Then came the relocation to Washington and Bowden was picked and had to throw the team together at breakneck speed with a minimal budget and then came the injuries.

The result an uptight team in a wild card race.

I know it sounds silly but I wonder if the players are not concerned about a lack of an owner or the need to win or their fan base goes south. Certainly no team in a payoff race has ever been in these circumstances.

Last week I was talking to some Nats fans at Bowie. One Nats fan said this is his first wild card chase and I agreed it has been an amazing year.

So maybe the message to the players should be; the fans will be back next year along with a new owner, the future is bright. So play hard, play good fundamental ball, be smart, be aggressive and have some fun.

Wow, finally some positivity, SEE ITS NOT SO BAD, MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL TRY IT MORE OFTEN!!

Offline NatsCaps19

« Reply #5: August 31, 2005, 10:42:45 PM »
so if all the teams in NL wild card race stink, where does that leave the entire NL west??