Author Topic: We suck, how are we gonna get better.....this is my plan.  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Hate to be a wet blanket here, but we haven't signed or probably even offered a contract to Rowand yet.  Be careful of the chicken counting syndrome.  Let's at least offer him before we pencil him in for the next 3-5 years.  I'd love to have him, don't get me wrong.

This is my plan, probably non of it is currently happening, it is just what I think the Nats have to do with the line-up.

Offline DPMOmaha

Yeah, but it seems like it's not just you and a lot of people assume he'll sign here.  I hope beyond hope he does, I love they way he plays the game and I think brings a toughness we are a little in lacking, but there seems to be a lot of people who think he's a shoe in the be here.  Maybe I'm wrong i that observation.  But if Philly can finish out this run, I'd have to assume  the Phils are going to throw a lot of $$$ at him.

Offline UMDNats

i love when people have absoutely no idea how a rebuild works or what the plan is all about
gotta love DC. so many people here have zero idea how a rebuild happens.

personally the team is headed in the right direction and for some reason you want to go out and sign a guy like ANDRUW JONES who is hitting close to the Mendoza line and cut Young and/or Belliard since they are older. Andruw Jones would NOT help this team with the salary he's asking.

Kearns in RF
Zimmerman at 3B
Guzman at SS
NJ/Dmitri at 1B
Wily Mo at LF
Lopez at 2B
Schneider/Flores at C
Logan at CF*

That's what our D will look like in 2008. Logan has the * because I think we have a good shot at Rowand or Hunter or another CF (trade?) this offseason if Philly lets him walk. Logan then is the 4th OF. I really don't see why we should expect different. I'm content with that lineup at this point in the rebuild. Has speed, power, and good average guys.

Our rotation will be more of the same as well

Hill
Bergmann
FA (most likely, not going to count our chickens just YET)

Guys like Chico, Balester, Lannan, Detwiler, Redding, Hanrahan, etc will COMPETE for jobs with 1 or 2 of them making the big squad since I think we'll sign at least 1 FA starting pitcher.

Offline ronnynat

Patience is a REAL tough thing for fans to have, but we were definitely warned...and for obvious reasons. Just think of how the players feel, knowing that they have no shot from the beginning. It's got to be real tough, especially for those not knowing if they'll be here next season.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Guys like Chico, Balester, Lannan, Detwiler, Redding, Hanrahan, etc will COMPETE for jobs with 1 or 2 of them making the big squad since I think we'll sign at least 1 FA starting pitcher.
I would almost rather them audition all of these guys and give big league spots to 3 of them.

The free agent market for pitchers this offseason is excruciatingly thin.

Offline ronnynat

I would almost rather them audition all of these guys and give big league spots to 3 of them.

The free agent market for pitchers this offseason is excruciatingly thin.

Absolutely. I agree. Our money needs to go into our offense. We have so many young pitchers plus the ones that have been injured this season to work w/. I have a feeling our rotation will include Hill, JP, Bergmann, Lannan, and somebody else, though. Just a feeling.

Offline vinnysmullet

That may be true, but how do you actually know that? Just wondering.

Sorry, can't say.

Offline vinnysmullet

Well I wouldn't call Schneider crap, but we do have to give Flores a shot. Patterson sucks, but I know the Nats will let him go out there.

Some things a team can be on the fense about. In the end performance is what will decide these situations.

You say you know the Nats will give Patty a shot. I am not so sure anymore that that "shot" will extend beyond ST, when everyone has a chance to earn a spot in the rotation.

There's no question the guy has talent, but sadly, I believe patience is wearing thin after all his injuries. I don't believe he will ever get the shot he did this year, being given the role of Opening Day starter and de facto ace, despite his injuries last year and his marginal performance in ST. If he can't prove he is finally ready to give quality innings, I don't see him making the rotation next season.

Pile on, folks. : )

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If he can't prove he is finally ready to give quality innings, I don't see him making the rotation next season.

I pretty much agree with that.  IF he gets another contract, and that's a big "IF", he'd better have a good spring or he'll be released.  And by good spring, I mean earn a spot in the rotation vs. the competition.  Now a guy under contract like that will win ties with a player that has options remaining, so if he's even halfway decent he should make the team.  If he's 80% of his potential he'll make the rotation.

Offline vinnysmullet

I pretty much agree with that.  IF he gets another contract, and that's a big "IF", he'd better have a good spring or he'll be released.  And by good spring, I mean earn a spot in the rotation vs. the competition.  Now a guy under contract like that will win ties with a player that has options remaining, so if he's even halfway decent he should make the team.  If he's 80% of his potential he'll make the rotation.

I agree.

Eighty percent of Patty's full potential is still pretty darn good, but I think it has to be 80% with an upside for him to make the team. If he's in the process of regaining strength, fine; if he's 80% because of a nagging injury after resting in the off season, that's when I think someone's going to have to make a very difficult decision. These last comments are my own speculation. All I know for sure is that patience is wearing thin.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke

Kearns in RF
Zimmerman at 3B
Guzman at SS
NJ/Dmitri at 1B
Wily Mo at LF
Lopez at 2B
Schneider/Flores at C
Logan at CF*

So you are putting out the same product and expecting a different result?

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Sorry, can't say.

I have heard multiple times on TV that he is like the team captain in the clubhouse and leads the team on the field.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

I think the only new player we have next year is a centerfielder, and a full year with Wily Mo and the possibility of healthy Guzman and NJ is diffrent.

• pissy DC sports fan
I don't think it's that simple.  You have to recall a couple things.  For one, our bench players/fill-ins have been remarkably pitiful this season.  We should have a boost in our offense when we get rid of Jimenez, Fick, etc.

Then there's the fact that Kearns, Schneider, and Lopez are having exceptionally bad seasons.  While it's possible that none of these three players will ever delivery, offensively, in the way we hope, the likelihood that all three are this bad next season is really low.  Especially with Kearns when you consider that he'll be able to slug better in the new ballpark next year.

Then there's the Rowand in place of Logan possibility, which would really be a huge upgrade.

Also, Zimmerman could really be an absolute beast in the new park.  I'm really expecting 30 HR from him next year.  I won't whine if he can't do it, but I won't be surprised if/when he does.

Offline vinnysmullet

I have heard multiple times on TV that he is like the team captain in the clubhouse and leads the team on the field.

Yes, they do say that on TV.

He does usually call a good game, and he is a good defensive catcher, I'll give him that.

Offline UMDNats

Our offense underachieved this year. With Nick coming back, the 4th-spot in the order will get a higher OBP and more power. Even when he's hurt (not if, when), Young is good to have. Zimmerman is another year older and better. A new, more hitter-friendly ball park.

Not the same product.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Then there's the Rowand in place of Logan possibility, which would really be a huge upgrade.

If Logan were to play an entire season he would contribute 84 runs and Aaron Rowand would contribute 127 for a diffrence of +43 runs a season. That has to be worth another couple wins.

Offline DPMOmaha

If Logan were to play an entire season he would contribute 84 runs and Aaron Rowand would contribute 127 for a diffrence of +43 runs a season. That has to be worth another couple wins.

at worst

I'd replace Logan with Rowand any day, speed be damned.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I'd replace Logan with Rowand any day, speed be damned.

BUT BUT BUT........TEH SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

SPEED > TALENT! you know that man!

• pissy DC sports fan
^I'll go with Air Zimmerman for 200, Alex!

Actually, you'd have to be using the word "gangsta" in place of "speed."  Mea culpa.