Author Topic: Next year's concessionaire  (Read 3195 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Next year's concessionaire
« Topic Start: August 24, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »
Centerplate is rumored to be replacing Aramark as the Nationals' concessionaire.

If this is true, I'm thrilled for two reasons.

1. Aramark sucks.  They just committed some really inexcusable errors this year in their catering, namely their service on opening day.
2. Looking at Centerplate's client list, they seem to have a great reputation.  They cater to the Giants and Mariners, who are purported to have some of the best concessions in baseball.

http://www.centerplate.com/homepage.php

natsfan1a

Re: Next year's concessionaire
« Reply #1: August 24, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Just looked at the concessions area of their site and it sounds great if it turns out to be them!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #2: August 24, 2007, 04:32:45 PM »
It looks pretty fancy. Something about fancy looking stuff and ballparks don't go together in my mind. I think they should concentrate heavily on the diffrent varieties of meat on bun, none of this vegan sushi nonsense.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: August 24, 2007, 04:51:07 PM »
It looks pretty fancy. Something about fancy looking stuff and ballparks don't go together in my mind. I think they should concentrate heavily on the diffrent varieties of meat on bun, none of this vegan sushi nonsense.

LOL, now Evo, you've still got that Five Guys within walking distance, if you are still hungry after the game, you know where to go.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: August 24, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
Sorry, I think Evol's got a point.  I don't do fancy stuff.  The menu for the heavy appetizer (meal) for my 20 year reunion has mushroom risotto, lettuce wraps, and other stuff I couldn't pronounce.
That being said, anything's better than Aramark!

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #5: August 24, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »
vegan sushi

Vegan sushi? What is that? Just the seaweed the fish swam in?

(Mmmm . . .)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: August 24, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »
Uh, don't you people realize that this means awesome burgers and garlic fries?

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #7: August 24, 2007, 05:49:04 PM »
Man bump that. Its a waste of money. All they need is hot dogs, water, beer, juice, chips, and fries or chips.

back in my pappi's day, all they was was hot dog, water, and beer.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: August 24, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
Man bump that. Its a waste of money. All they need is hot dogs, water, beer, juice, chips, and fries or chips.

QFT

But prices are off the chart. I heard beer prices at Fed Ex are up to $8 this year! :shock:

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #9: August 24, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »

QFT

But prices are off the chart. I heard beer prices at Fed Ex are up to $8 this year! :shock:
Good, beer has runined way too many football experince for tha fans who don't drink.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 24, 2007, 06:08:30 PM »
I hope prices aren't sky high (as if they aren't already) but I wouldn't sweat having the basic stuff.  Of course you're going to be able to get hot dogs, Pepsi and chips, but maybe the rest of what they serve will be better quality.  For example, having eaten pretzels from the Germantown Amish market, eating an RFK pretzel is like eating cold cardboard.

Lots of variety means more people find what they want.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #11: August 24, 2007, 06:39:37 PM »

QFT

$8 for the mass-market stuff, that is...quality brews (Stella, Fosters, Guinness and Harp) are NINE DOLLARS a go, per last Saturday's Skins-Steelers match.

And one must also bear in mind that a lot of those specialty concessions at the Nationals' new ground could well be reserved for 'premium' areas (as is already the case at FedEx and Verizon Centre).

And as far as the overall quality of current RFK concessions at Nats matchnights...granted they are not perfect, but if you think they're bad now you should have been at RFK for the World Cup matches back in 1994 - horrific queues in which you'd miss most of a half, and very little on offer anywhere to begin with (my father and I had mezzanine seats and had to go down to the 200's to get anything). It improved slightly in the early DC United and Freedom years but didn't get anywhere near acceptable till the Nats arrived.

natsfan1a

« Reply #12: August 24, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »
(ears perking up) Five Guys? Within walking distance of the stadium? Details, please?

LOL, now Evo, you've still got that Five Guys within walking distance, if you are still hungry after the game, you know where to go.

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: August 24, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »
So, it's thumbs up for hot dogs and apple pie and thumbs down for goat cheese pizza and bottled water? :)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: August 24, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »
(ears perking up) Five Guys? Within walking distance of the stadium? Details, please?

From the official site: http://www.fiveguys.com/store_locator.aspx?s=DC&c= - scroll down to the 1100 New Jersey Avenue SE (Navy Yard) location - it'll be one block north of the Metro station (direct link to map: http://www.google.com/maps?q=1100+New+Jersey+Ave,+SE+Washington+DC+20003).

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: August 24, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »
yummm -- thanks!

From the official site: http://www.fiveguys.com/store_locator.aspx?s=DC&c= - scroll down to the 1100 New Jersey Avenue SE (Navy Yard) location - it'll be one block north of the Metro station (direct link to map: http://www.google.com/maps?q=1100+New+Jersey+Ave,+SE+Washington+DC+20003).

Offline saltydad

« Reply #16: August 24, 2007, 08:34:57 PM »

Don't forget peanuts, always have had peanuts! If for no other reason than to sell the beer.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #17: August 24, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
I hope prices aren't sky high (as if they aren't already) but I wouldn't sweat having the basic stuff.  Of course you're going to be able to get hot dogs, Pepsi and chips, but maybe the rest of what they serve will be better quality.  For example, having eaten pretzels from the Germantown Amish market, eating an RFK pretzel is like eating cold cardboard.

Lots of variety means more people find what they want.

mmmmm Pretzels from the Amish Market off Wisteria in Germantown.  I think that's the one you're talking about.  Man, I wish they could cater the food there.  Have you eaten at the Restaurant there?  Talk about good food!

A friend of mine lives real close to there.  We ate there before going up the road to Cooperstown and I think for dinner when we got back.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #18: August 24, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »
Centerplate is rumored to be replacing Aramark as the Nationals' concessionaire.

If this is true, I'm thrilled for two reasons.

1. Aramark sucks.  They just committed some really inexcusable errors this year in their catering, namely their service on opening day.
2. Looking at Centerplate's client list, they seem to have a great reputation.  They cater to the Giants and Mariners, who are purported to have some of the best concessions in baseball.

http://www.centerplate.com/homepage.php

Every Caterer has its high, medium and low end choices.  If you look under concessions, they seem to have your hotdogs and sandwiches in mind.  Might not be too bad!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #19: August 26, 2007, 10:02:29 AM »

I think you have to take the pictures on their site of the catering and food services for what it is. They need to make it look good to attract the business. Being able to do the fancier stuff will help them win the overall contracts. But that stuff is for the restaurants and club and suite areas. While I am sure the general concessions will go through an upgrade, there will still be traditional dogs and peanuts.

But I want some better options. Since they will likely not allow you to bring in your own food, I am going to want to have some decent choices. I want to live to see to the team win, so I don't plan on having hot dogs for dinner 81 nights a year.

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: August 26, 2007, 10:03:59 AM »
In our household we call them weapons of sodium mass destruction.

I want to live to see to the team win, so I don't plan on having hot dogs for dinner 81 nights a year.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #21: August 26, 2007, 01:53:18 PM »
Maybe they'll serve Hebrew National Low Fat Hot Dogs.  MMMMMM  ;)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: August 26, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »
I just hope they bring back the brisket.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #23: August 26, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »

QFT

Tis true. I was there for last night"s (partial) game. Hot suasages are $7 (but good), and stay away from the Famous Dave's tent stand in front of FedEx....a $7 pulled pork sandwich was a little blob of meat on a hamburger bun....terrible.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #24: August 26, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
Amen!!!!!