Author Topic: Not Every Autograph Request is Created Equal  (Read 1794 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Not Every Autograph Request is Created Equal
« Topic Start: August 22, 2007, 08:17:27 AM »
Dirk Hayhurst is a 26-year-old righthanded reliever in the Padres system who has spent parts of three seasons at high Class A Lake Elsinore.  He writes a regular column for Baseball America titled "The Non-Prospect Diary", about life in the minor leagues.  This column is exceptional.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/features/264668.html

Non-Prospect Diary: Dirk Hayhurst

By Dirk Hayhurst
August 16, 2007

A mother brought her son past the bullpen a few days back. As they approached, we instinctively acted as if our attention was wrapped up in the game;  looking away from them, avoiding eye contact.

They made their way directly to us, eyes trained on us, hoping to catch our attention. Soon they had closed the distance and were standing right in front of us, staring expectantly through the fencing with wide eyes and nervous smiles.

"Hello," said the mother. We said nothing in return and continued to act as if we couldn't see or hear her. She stumbled at our coldness, and cast hear eyes around sadly. She looked at her son, who never took his eyes off us, smiled, and then mustered enough courage to try again.

I can't explain to you what its like to avoid someone on purpose. When I write about the concept it just seems too rude and heartless. Maybe it is, but I still do it all the time. In my line of work, sometimes you have to ignore people. You have to tune out the noise of the game. There is no shortage of kids who want balls just because some other kid got one. No shortage of folks who want scraps signed with illegible autographs because everyone else is doing it. No shortage of begging, and pleading for stuff they don't really need, just want because someone else has.

Besides, my signature is just that: words written across something to spell my name. And my name is not important (hence, non-prospect diaries!). Yet to baseball fans, signatures are very important. They're so important in fact, even the mascot signs balls. It doesn't even have to be my name, or a name at all, just the fact we players scribbled on a scrap for fan is enough. Its all about the context.

For me, it's a dead ritual, and doesn't make sense. Maybe this is because I know who I am. Because everyday I see the mistakes and shortcomings I deal with that humanize me. I disagree that I am somehow more valuable because I do this job.  Fans however, see my clean uniform and their boyhood dreams incarnate. When my hand presses a pen to paper, they find it magical. I don't understand why this works the way it does, but its lack of logic in no way negates the reality of it.

"My son," said the mother as she looked at her boy, "would really like to meet you."

Again, she smiled nervously and again she was met with silence.

After a moment I broke and said hello to the young boy. He smiled and tried to hide behind his mom like young kids do when they are nervous. Mom asked him if he could be a big boy and say hello in return? He did, in a mute voice, then ducked behind his mother again. I bent down at the fence to get on the boy's level, steadying myself with one hand on the links. As I did this, the mother knelt down quickly and put her hand on mine. My comfort zone was just violated, but before I could say anything, she spoke, in a soft and sad voice saying, "My son has liver cancer. It's terminal. He really wanted to do this before . . . um, thank you so much for taking the time to talk with him."

I was silent again, but this time for a different reason. I stared at the young boy, then at his mother whose face was serious and stalwart. The fellas around me had started talking with the young boy where I left off, though they were unaware of his condition. I walked away from the scene and over the some of the guys and whispered what I was just told. We looked at each other and, without a word of discussion, scooped up the youngster and placed him the pen with us.

We sat him down in one of our chairs and took seats around him. There he sat while we lavished him with attention. We asked him about everything a young boy loves to talk about: toys, baseball, candy, parks, games . . . We acted amazed at his stories and affirmed how he would become a big leaguer someday. We made him feel special, because he is. Finally, when our time was up and he had to go, without request or prompting, we produced a baseball and signed it for him.

When we gave the boy that ball, there was no dead ritual involved. Our names were no longer scribbles to be collected, and the ball was no longer a souvenir. That baseball was now a letter, and each signature was a testament of hope, encouragement, and joy. I can't explain to you how much happiness it gave that mother and her son to share those moments with us.

I still can't explain why people treat us so special for putting on a baseball uniform.  But in those few moments together, it didn't really matter--in those few moments, baseball made perfect sense.

You can reach Dirk at dirkhayhurst@baseballamerica.com.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Not Every Autograph Request is Created Equal
« Reply #1: August 22, 2007, 08:27:27 AM »
Good find tomterp. Our girls are going to love this story.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: August 22, 2007, 08:50:19 AM »
Good find tomterp. Our girls are going to love this story.

Warning - have a box of tissues handy before starting...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: August 22, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »

Yeah I know. It almost got me  :'( so I know it's going to reach our gals  ;)

iluvryanzimmerman

« Reply #4: August 22, 2007, 09:12:16 AM »
im not crying,it was touching i know someone with a brain tumor and is blind,i can relate,but i dont think he likes baseball,hes really sweet he's 3. his names ryan,but he likes dinosuars, :D

« Reply #5: August 22, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »
Good article.  And while I agree that ballplayers are really no different from regular people, in a way they are.

Ballplayers are heroes, villains, Gods, and live "the dream" that many want only a taste of or wish we could of lived, especially of our youth.  No matter how much professional athletes shun the responsibility or deny the responsibility, they are role models.  They are seen as bigger than life by those who dream of playing in the MLB or missed the chance or simply just dream.

I applaud Hayhurst for being humble and not some other jackass Balco Bonds.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 22, 2007, 09:38:30 AM »
I applaud Hayhurst for being humble and not some other jackass Balco Bonds.

He's a 26 year old marginal pitcher, who probably won't make the bigs, and he knows it, hence "non-prospect" diary.  He is a very good writer, however, so already working on his next gig.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: August 22, 2007, 10:34:37 AM »
ok, I'm tearing up over here.  That's so touching and hits so close to home over here.  Poor baby!  I'm glad they treated him so special!

« Reply #8: August 22, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
He's a 26 year old marginal pitcher, who probably won't make the bigs, and he knows it, hence "non-prospect" diary.  He is a very good writer, however, so already working on his next gig.

I don't know about you but I would love to be in the minors at this juncture of my life.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #9: August 22, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
That was great.

About the fan's perception that baseball players are like "gods". It is because they are living the dream most players had as a kid. They are playing a "game" that only a select few get to play professionally. So to people, they are like a god because they are living a dream that so few get to live, no matter how short their stint is in professional baseball.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: August 22, 2007, 10:48:08 AM »
Wow, what a great story, and a great writer.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: August 22, 2007, 10:51:28 AM »
I don't know about you but I would love to be in the minors at this juncture of my life.

At 49 I'm a little past that stage, but if you mean in my early 20's would that be appealing to do, absolutely.  Not a bad life at all, though after a few years it would get old I imagine.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #12: August 22, 2007, 10:53:29 AM »
At 49 I'm a little past that stage, but if you mean in my early 20's would that be appealing to do, absolutely.  Not a bad life at all, though after a few years it would get old I imagine.

Then again, pushing papers gets old after a few DAYS ;)

« Reply #13: August 22, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »

Days?  You lasted days? :shock:

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #14: August 22, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
Days?  You lasted days? :shock:

But at least my papers are about murder and theft.  Much more exciting papers :lol:

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: August 22, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »
awwww, that's a sweet story and he does write very well. Kinda wish it hadn't taken them so long to at least acknowledge the kid. Even if they don't want to sign, just waving or saying "hi" to a little guy could make his day (assuming it's not during a game).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: August 22, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »

For me, it's not the work that would get old ( baseball > paper pushing) but having a family and the need to be around to support family stuff.   Traveling on the road with a baseball team is a single man's thing, not for married's with families.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #17: August 22, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
A sweet story with a brutally honest view of the whole autograph-seeking issue.  Very well done, indeed.

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #18: August 22, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »

Oh, my. You aren't kidding.

I have to say, I don't know whether it is because our team isn't a team of superstars and doesn't get inundated by autograph hounds, but I notice the Nats players and coaches being pretty accommodating to fans, and rather friendly. With the exception of times when they just have to keep their professional demeanor (starting pitcher on his start date, guys during warm-ups), they seem to go out of their way to throw balls to kids and sign autographs.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: August 22, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »
...I have to say, I don't know whether it is because our team isn't a team of superstars and doesn't get inundated by autograph hounds, but I notice the Nats players and coaches being pretty accommodating to fans, and rather friendly. With the exception of times when they just have to keep their professional demeanor (starting pitcher on his start date, guys during warm-ups), they seem to go out of their way to throw balls to kids and sign autographs.

I recall Stan Kasten announcing after the purchase of the team that its fans could expect the players to be more accessible for autographs and things like that, and that he wanted the team to be much more involved in the community.

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #20: August 22, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »
I recall Stan Kasten announcing after the purchase of the team that its fans could expect the players to be more accessible for autographs and things like that, and that he wanted the team to be much more involved in the community.

Stan the man. The culture starts at the top.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: August 22, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
I have about 5 years experience working a minor league stadium. I was on the ground crew and I got asked for autographs.  I was a little taken aback at first, but I am all too familiar with players acting like that with autographs.  My experience has been that most players don't have a problem signing autographs before or after the game, right up to the playing of the anthem.  Once the anthem plays though, no more autographs no one outside of the playing field or autographs exist.  They're working now.  I can understand that.  But most people have at least enough class to sign autographs before and after the game.  Though most of them think like this guy and don't like doing it and see it as the dead ritual it is. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #22: August 22, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
Stan the man. The culture starts at the top.

Hear, hear! He and the Lerners define class. Take notes,Loria and Angelos.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: August 22, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »

Tom - thanks for sharing - but the disclaimer should be in the thread title :)

I'm pretty sure he has a career as a sportswriter ahead - especially if he has some sort of journalism degree. He writes better than some DC sportswriters and columnists at ESPN.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #24: August 22, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »
Nice story.