Poll

Will he finish out the year?

Yes, he'll finish out the year
5 (83.3%)
No, he'll announce retirement soon
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 13, 2007, 04:12:57 AM

Author Topic: Will Barry Bonds play?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Will Barry Bonds play?
« Topic Start: August 08, 2007, 04:12:57 AM »
...now that he's broken the record.  It's a known assumption that he's retiring after this year for sure, but will he stick around for the end of the year.  Although the Giants don't need him (he's not nearly capable of leading the Giants in the right direction), I think it's important that he stays, or else he'll get the brunt of arguments saying he didn't care at all about the team winning, etc.

Offline saltydad

Re: Will Barry Bonds play?
« Reply #1: August 08, 2007, 05:13:47 AM »
I think he'll stay. He's afraid what's left of his reputation will go down the crapper if he leaves now..if he left it's him saying "my record is what's important, not the team"...altho we all know that's really true!

« Reply #2: August 08, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »
He'll finish out the year but it will be obvious he doesn't give a toot about San Fran or winning.  He got what he wanted.  I predict he rides out this year and signs on for DH on an AL team next season. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: August 08, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »
Cross your fingers for retirement- otherwise I hope he's traded - it would serve him right.

natsfan1a

« Reply #4: August 08, 2007, 09:25:06 AM »
If the winter meetings were any indication, I wonder who'd want him?

« Reply #5: August 08, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »

I know the perfect fit and someone who would love to have him: Baltimore Orioles.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #6: August 08, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
I know the perfect fit and someone who would love to have him: Baltimore Orioles.
  There is no way Bonds retires.  He is very close to 3000 hits -- something like 80 away.  My guess is he will at least play until he reaches that milestone, whether with the Giants or Tampa Bay. 

Come to think of it, the Cubs would be an appropriate last stop for Bonds' career.  They're used to worshiping steroid enhanced monstrosities in Sosa, and they have the phoniest, most self absorbed fans in baseball.  A perfect match!

« Reply #7: August 08, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
  There is no way Bonds retires.  He is very close to 3000 hits -- something like 80 away.  My guess is he will at least play until he reaches that milestone, whether with the Giants or Tampa Bay. 

Come to think of it, the Cubs would be an appropriate last stop for Bonds' career.  They're used to worshiping steroid enhanced monstrosities in Sosa, and they have the phoniest, most self absorbed fans in baseball.  A perfect match!

But the Orioles love to take the cast off steriod enhanced monstrosities such as Sosa and Palmero.  Not only could Bonds lazily be a DH but he will be right at home considering the O's are pretty much like the San Fran Giants: going absolutely no where.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #8: August 08, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
But the Orioles love to take the cast off steriod enhanced monstrosities such as Sosa and Palmero.  Not only could Bonds lazily be a DH but he will be right at home considering the O's are pretty much like the San Fran Giants: going absolutely no where.

Well, actually, the O's appear to be a haven for `roiders.  Palmeiro tested positive while playing there did he not?  And he blamed Tejada, did he not?  Could one of the reasons Tejada'a overall production has been declining faster than a falling stone is that MLB is now testing for some of the stuff that was (allegedly) being passed round the Orioles locker room in the past?  Hmmm? 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #9: August 08, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »

Yankees could sign Bonds and move Damon or Giambi - would be huge for them, since Bonds is FA at the end of the year.