Author Topic: ATTENTION NURSNG PERSONNEL: NEW MEDICAL DISCOVERY  (Read 1069 times)

nospinzone1

GOT FALLEN ARCHES. NEED TO MAKE AN APPLIANCE FOR SHOES , WHICH OF COURSE MEDICARE DOES NOT COVER, 500 BUCKS, PLUS TEMPORARY NEW BALANCE WALKING SHOES 85.....ISNT RETIREMENT WONDERFUL?????

Offline kimnat

You wanna talk about a new medical discovery.  Dig this!  Researchers at UVA have found a virus to use to create new hair cell growth in the inner ear to cure nerve deafness.  I AM SO JAZZED ABOUT THIS I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF!!!!  I have Meniere's Disease which causes inner ear problems/ nerve deafness.  I am completely deaf in my left ear.  FOR 32 YEARS I have been told there is nothing that can be done to correct it.  Excited barely touches my emotions on this discovery!  I emailed the lead researcher today to ask to be placed in their trial.  They are currently looking for "human lab rats".  Oh, I hope......

nospinzone1

You wanna talk about a new medical discovery.  Dig this!  Researchers at UVA have found a virus to use to create new hair cell growth in the inner ear to cure nerve deafness.  I AM SO JAZZED ABOUT THIS I CAN HARDLY CONTAIN MYSELF!!!!  I have Meniere's Disease which causes inner ear problems/ nerve deafness.  I am completely deaf in my left ear.  FOR 32 YEARS I have been told there is nothing that can be done to correct it.  Excited barely touches my emotions on this discovery!  I emailed the lead researcher today to ask to be placed in their trial.  They are currently looking for "human lab rats".  Oh, I hope......

I AM REALLY EXCITED FOR YOU, KIM. THE 33 YEARS I WORKED AT THE POST I WORKED WITH A LOT OF DEAF PEOPLE AND AMAZINGLY ENOUGH THEY WERE NOT TOO KIN ON COCLEAR IMPLANTS FOR THEMSELVES OR THEIR CHILDREN. NEVER KNEW WHY.

Offline kimnat

Well, there is a type of implant thing that I I found out last Monday that I qualify for , but it requires surgically implanting a titanium screw in the bone behind my left ear, with the head of the screw protuding so a small 1"x1/2" hearing aid can be snapped onto it.  The soundwaves travel through the skull to the other cochlea.  It is a phenomenal advance in hearing aids, but the idea of a screw in my head wigs me out.  I'll take the in vitro virus any day over that option!

natsfan1a

I'd be interested to know more about this trial, being half deaf myself (also from nerve damage).

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
GOT FALLEN ARCHES. NEED TO MAKE AN APPLIANCE FOR SHOES , WHICH OF COURSE MEDICARE DOES NOT COVER, 500 BUCKS, PLUS TEMPORARY NEW BALANCE WALKING SHOES 85.....ISNT RETIREMENT WONDERFUL?????

aww but you will be a bit taller? :-) how have you been nospin? sorry ive not been around. how are you, the wife, the dogs?

Offline kimnat

From WJLA website:

Scientists Look to Cure Hearing Loss With a Virus
- Wednesday August 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Researchers at the University of Virginia are working on curing hearing loss with an experimental new form of gene therapy.

With more than 275 million people around the world that suffer from sort of nerve-related deafness, scientists are working on creating a virus that when placed in ear tissue can regrown tiny hairs inside the ear canal.

Otolaryngologist Brad Kesser explains these very specialized hair cells convert the mechanical energy of sound into an electrical signal in the brain, which allows one to hear. Kesser says that once these cells are damaged or lost, they are lost for good.

Doctors have been working with this type of therapy for years on mice, but this is the first time they have had success with human tissue.

Researchers hope to perfect this method for patients within the next few years.

Offline Ericas Nats

very cool!

speaking of hearing loss..

my soon to be jack russell terrier 13yrs old.. i think is going deaf? kinda sad. ive so been dreading the day when she is starting to show her age... kinda sad

Offline kimnat

Thanks Erica!  Well, time to call it a night.  I'll check in w/ y'all in the a.m.  nigh night!

natsfan1a

Thanks, kimnat, that sounds very promising!

Heading off to dreamland now, too. Nite-night!

natsfan1a

Awww, poor pup...

very cool!

speaking of hearing loss..

my soon to be jack russell terrier 13yrs old.. i think is going deaf? kinda sad. ive so been dreading the day when she is starting to show her age... kinda sad

Offline Ericas Nats

good nite

nospinzone1

aww but you will be a bit taller? :-) how have you been nospin? sorry ive not been around. how are you, the wife, the dogs?

The Jack Russell has added ten yers to my life. He is playful and very affectionate, a little rough when playing with my hands. We also got about ten days ago a Pom, three years old female, five pounds . shy and growls at the Jack Russell when Charlie tries to play and make friends with her. She has a face to kill for. Maria seems to have taken to her and she seems a little happ;ier now.

Offline Ericas Nats

very good...

we need to do a play date with the dogs one day here soon. before winter comes!

glad to hear you both are doing well!

Offline kimnat

I just got my loaner Baha hearing aid from the docs ofc this morning via DHL.  I have it on and it works beautifully!  I can hear Dan from clear across the house w/ my good ear plugged!  So, if the research trial won't work for me, I know this hearing aid will.  It's the first one that has ever worked for me!!!  Made by the cochlear people.

nospinzone1

I just got my loaner Baha hearing aid from the docs ofc this morning via DHL.  I have it on and it works beautifully!  I can hear Dan from clear across the house w/ my good ear plugged!  So, if the research trial won't work for me, I know this hearing aid will.  It's the first one that has ever worked for me!!!  Made by the cochlear people.

just because you hear better do not mess with my boy, my clone. LOL

Offline kimnat

Don't worry.  :D  He's staying outta my way today.  Momma's on a cleaning binge!  I clean up a room and while I'm at it, they're trying to trash the last one I cleaned up.  If they keep it up, I'm gonna mess w/ them all!  Time out on their beds!!!