Author Topic: Yank Stadium (I have returned with some thoughts)  (Read 1391 times)

In about four hours time I will be leaving for Northern Virginia and then New York for a two week vacation.  In between showings of the Blue Man Group, Phantom of the Opera, and a trip to the Bronx Zoo, I will be taking in a Yanks game vs. Kansas City.

Any tips I should know about? Am I safe wearing my Nats hat in the stadium or am I going to have drunks pushed down on me to break my neck or batteries and dead animals thrown at me?

I hear their little "Hall of Heroes" (or whatever) is a must-see.  I will try to see that.

natsfan1a

Re: Yank Stadium
« Reply #1: July 27, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »
I've never been to the stadium, so I can't offer any tips. I can, however, wish you a good trip, which I do. The Blue Man Group should be fun, too!

« Reply #2: July 27, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
I've never been to the stadium, so I can't offer any tips. I can, however, wish you a good trip, which I do. The Blue Man Group should be fun, too!

Thanks.

I've seen those guys in Chicago.  Outstanding show.  So much so, I just needed to see the New York Blue Man Troupe. ;)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: July 27, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
In about four hours time I will be leaving for Northern Virginia and then New York for a two week vacation.  In between showings of the Blue Man Group, Phantom of the Opera, and a trip to the Bronx Zoo, I will be taking in a Yanks game vs. Kansas City.

Any tips I should know about? Am I safe wearing my Nats hat in the stadium or am I going to have drunks pushed down on me to break my neck or batteries and dead animals thrown at me?

I hear their little "Hall of Heroes" (or whatever) is a must-see.  I will try to see that.

You'll be fine in the stadium wearing the Nats cap.  Be sure to go through Memorial Park, and take your camera.

If you like jazz, you have to go to The Blue Note.    Even if you don't like jazz, go - its worth the trip.  The performers they have will have you loving jazz. One time when I went there, I think it was 2001, Charlie Watts (for those who don't know, he's the drummer for The Rolling Stones) and his jazz band were performing.  Keith Richards was sitting up front tossing out some friendly heckles.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: July 27, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »

I don't think most Yankee fans care one way or the other about the Nats.I believe there is one bathroom in the whole stadium, so you might want to watch your beverage intake. There is a prison behind the rightfield bleechers. go to
La Mela in Little Italy, if you want italian.

« Reply #5: July 27, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »
Thanks everyone.  If they air the game and you see a red Curly W hat in the Yanks outfield seats, thats me. :rofl:

See you in two weeks.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: July 27, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »
i believe it is Monument Park, been to the stadium not the park though

Do yourself a favor and get any form of Italian combo.  It has to have at least three meats ending in a vowel, none of which are bologna, one of which can be subsituted by ham (Boars Head only). Oil and vinegar is key as well.

the most memorable thing about yankee stadium though is Bob Sheppard, the PA annoucer or voice of God. By now he probably only does the first inning and whatever random at bats he sees fit.  Also the playing of New York New York at the end is cool.

There is also a very distinct smell outside, hot pretzels (i believe the burning salt).

All stuff ingrained in me from childhood

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: July 27, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
DON'T miss Monument Park; it gives you an amazing tingle up and down your neck! Nats hat will be no problem. Bob Sheppard is indeed something. All park announcers should sound like him, and he's what, around 90? Plus there's just the aura of Yankee Stadium. Whatever your feelings about the current Yankees, you will be sitting in a spot of baseball history, and I find it a powerful feeling. I know they need a new stadium, but to give up Yankee Stadium is like giving up sex, drugs and rock n' roll at the same time, IMHO.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #8: July 29, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »
I was there for a match against the Angels in 2004 - marred by a lengthy rain delay, and unfortunately Monument Park was closed for some reason. But the old-school charm and the sense of history remain...as well as the most impressive line-up of concessions I've ever seen at a sports ground. Didn't have any problems getting up there on the subway either, from Penn station.

Well, I am back from NY and I am slowly getting back into the swing of things to catch up.

Saw the Friday night game Yanks vs. The Royals and here are some thoughts:

>I can see why they are getting a new stadium.  While history is written all over its walls, so is grime, dirt, and filth.  I felt slightly disgusting going through the concourses.  Really, I don't think its any better or worse than RFK.

>Watching the Royals play makes me love the Nats even more if that is possible.  The Royals were just weakly slapping everything thrown at them.  I think I could count the amount of times they hit the ball out of the infield on one hand.  Their bullpen was pretty bad too.  Nats would eat this team up.

>Wore my Curly W hat all night and not one person said a negative thing.  In fact, I chatted Nats with a guy behind me.

>Two guys wearing full LA Angels gear were not so lucky.  Constantly taunted all game.

>I figured out the secret to being a NY baseball fan: blow everything out of proportion so you create the illusion for everyone something is grand and keep repeating it so much that everyone starts to believe you.  For example, top of the 1st inning A-Rod runs and catches a routine fly ball in foul territory.  Suddenly like five people gasped and started jabbering about how it was this amazing play.  I stood scratching my head.

>A-Rod had two magical chances to hit 500 at this game.  First was a bases loaded opportunity, second was his last at bat and there were lightning bolts streaking across the sky.  Moments after he flied out, the down pour began.

Overall, good experience.  I was in pinstripe hell but I survived.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
Well, I am back from NY and I am slowly getting back into the swing of things to catch up.

Saw the Friday night game Yanks vs. The Royals and here are some thoughts:

>I can see why they are getting a new stadium.  While history is written all over its walls, so is grime, dirt, and filth.  I felt slightly disgusting going through the concourses.  Really, I don't think its any better or worse than RFK.

I have discovered this to be true about all the "legendary" ball parks I have visited.  I have not been to Yank-me Stadium since I was a lad, in the early 1970s, but I have recently been to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.  Memories of Old Comiskey come to mind as well.  Each of these parks are or were basically falling apart internally.  They patch up Fenway pretty well, but the bowels of it are pretty disgusting.  Wrigley Field is falling apart, and smells really, really bad (our nickname for it is "the Urinal").  The parks look great on TV, but they are not necessarily comfortable places to watch a game.  History, yes.  Ambiance?  I question it -- for both Wrigely and Fenway.  (I know some of you will chide me for my anti-Cub bias, but the park IS in bad shape).  For both historic structures, if you're not in the box seats, there are lots of obstructed seating, and the seats are small, closely packed, and uncomfortable compared to other parks.  Red Sox fans are a rowdy bunch. Wrigley Field is like a big fraternity party. But the old/dirty/smelly factor seems to overwhelm if you're not a died in the wool fan. I find the newer, baseball-only parks are very nice and a better place to take your family to watch a game (e.g. U.S. Cellular Field, Miller Park, and the new Busch Stadium).

Offline ronnynat

History's always at least a little dirty. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Offline saltydad

Did you make Monument Park?

Did you make Monument Park?

Somewhat.

When I got there before the game there was a down pour and everyone went for cover.  By the time I got in line again it was long and they close it down about 30 minutes before game time.  I was able to view it from the line but not actually go in for a closer look.

Oh, another funny incident which relates to the drunk landing on the old guy and nearly breaking his neck.  Apparently George has down right limited beer concessions drastically in Yank Stadium.  So much so you can no longer get beer through the walking vendors and there is limited stands that actually sell it in the stadium.  The Bleachers seats had a complete beer ban.