Poll

Trade Him or Take A Chance at Getting A Comp. Pick (or two) Next Year?

Take Chance on Getting a Pick(s)
3 (15.8%)
Trade Him Before the Deadline
16 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Which Would You Do With Dmitri (if you had to)?  (Read 5387 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
People can criticize me all they want and for whatever reasons they want, but they should never question how much of a fan of this team I am.

Don't take my comments personally, as a criticism of your fan loyalty, because I didn't mean them that way.  I only seized on your comment as an opportunity to point out the dilemma that the club faces, and as fans we also have to come to grips with, and that is do we make further sacrifices in the team's competitiveness (limited as it is) this season, to help us in the future?

The Spock in any of us says "of course, that is logical", while the Kirk says, "no, damnit, we fight to the bitter end with everything we've got".

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
The "plan" is a long term plan, but also calls for significant changes as we go into 2008.

Could you tell me where you read that? When your team's payroll is around $37 million, even an increase of $10 is a significant change. What constitutes significant, I would really love to know.

As for the plan, I'm sure it's not written down anywhere, and that it changes from day to day, because no matter what the team does, they can say it was part of the plan. After a few years, what we all think the plan is today will have changed to the point where we'll read at least once, "at the time, it was part of the plan" and when that happens, everyone will know that there is no real plan, but more a hope that things roll the right way if they take a certain road.

2007 was the tear it down phase, so it's understandable that folks would be uncomfortable with what they see on the field now.

Seen it before, many times, so my expectations for 2007 are very minimal.

There are some who still believe the plan is a charade, just a bunch of words to support slashing payroll.  However, I would point out that so far the Nats have been spending a lot of money on scouting, both in the US and abroad, as well as on player development, and then have drafted aggressively (not just easily "signable" prospects, but the best available) and have been very successful in signing these prospects.  I see all this as evidence that they really do have a plan, and are sincere in moving forward with it.

For one, the plan isn't written down anyplace, and as I said changes from day-to-day. As for the money spent on scouting, all the Nats have done is bring the Nats scouting staff up to par with some of the other teams, something that had to do no matter the payroll, so the two have nothing to do with each other. As for the players they drafted, this year the only real uncertainty, and as such a gamble, was McGreary. All the rest were pretty much considered signable players. the Nats have so far spent no more or less than that have in previous years on drafted prospects. So excuse me and any like me who will question where the saved money is going.[/quote]

To me, drinking the Kasten Kool-aid means you so far accept that they 1) do have a valid plan for building the team long term, 2) are sincere as well as have the ability to execute it, and 3) the plan will work.

Every team has a plan, but they just don't talk about it, nor do they put a label on it. 1) Teams have always had 3-year plans, 5-year plans and some even longer term plans, but they all have plans. 2) 2007 is not the year to evaluate whether or not anyone is sincere or not, or if they have the ability. 3) Four out of 5 plans end up having to be rethought and cause teams to change the way it does things, sometimes the changes are minor, sometimes drastic, but they still change.

2007 is not the time to start selling Kasten Kool-Aid, when 2007 is barely more than someone sticking their toes in the ocean to see how cold the water is. Sometimes the water is very cold and it takes balls to jump in. Me, I'll wait until 2008 to see what, if any, significant changes there will be, and what kind of product they put on the field. What do I expect, nothing, that way if something does happen, I'll be a happier camper.

One side issue is the new stadium development.  The Lerners have been putting a lot of their own dough into the new park ($30m at last report, undoubtedly higher now)

Ah, there you go... Now we know what the Lerners did with the $30 million they chopped off payroll. Instead of using it, or part of it, to field a better team in 2007, or to (God forbid) use money out of their pockets to help with the new stadium, they chose to use it all to make the park they'll be renting have more appeal. No wonder they Lerners are rich, they, like most millionaires, use other people's money.

I just did a preview of this message... and all I can say is,
"Jesus, Ken, could you be a little more verbose, you're not taking up enough space." :roll:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Don't take my comments personally, as a criticism of your fan loyalty, because I didn't mean them that way.

I know you didn't that's why I addressed that part to a more general readership... OMG, I hate that word... Ken and readership are an oxymoron

Sounds like a bunch of worry and whining over things that haven't even taken place, haven't been given the chance to take place, or things that can be construed one way or the other. 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Sounds like a bunch of worry and whining over things that haven't even taken place, haven't been given the chance to take place, or things that can be construed one way or the other. 

Isn't that pretty much what I said, that this year wasn't the year to be doing much of anything, expectation wise....

Offline ronnynat

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire met with General Manager Terry Ryan before Wednesday's game to discuss how to improve the team as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline approaches... Meanwhile, Twins outfielder Torii Hunter, during an interview on KFAN radio Wednesday, said Washington's Dmitri Young was a hitter who could help the team.

Anyone know what they'd have to offer?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Anyone know what they'd have to offer?

Scott Baker and a bench infielder would be dandy.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Sometimes the water is very cold and it takes balls to jump in.

And sometimes it's the way those balls are going to feel when you jump in (literally) that make you hesitate and prolong the jump   :?

NOTE: My apologies to the ladies who may not know what I'm talking about.  :lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
And sometimes it's the way those balls are going to feel when you jump in (literally) that make you hesitate and prolong the jump   :?

NOTE: My apologies to the ladies who may not know what I'm talking about.  :lol:

Sigh ... I'm pretty sure we get it ...

Offline spidernat

I suppose what I should've said was: "my apologies to the ladies who cannot relate or empathize with my statement".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Are you saying the male references aren't as subtle as we think they are?  Well, if we post too boorishly, just give us a rhetorical kick in the lower soft tissue extremity, and we'll catch the hint.

natsfan1a

Consider yourselves kicked.  :devil:  :halo:

Are you saying the male references aren't as subtle as we think they are?  Well, if we post too boorishly, just give us a rhetorical kick in the lower soft tissue extremity, and we'll catch the hint.

Offline spidernat

Consider yourselves kicked.  :devil:  :halo:

Where is n2p when you need him to come up with the appropriate smiley in response :icon_question:

Where is n2p when you need him to come up with the appropriate smiley in response :icon_question:

This will have to do for now:

Offline spidernat

Dude that was perfect! I'm laughing my ass off (even though it's not funny  :?). Plus the jersey color of the offender is perfect. All we need to do is add natsfan1a and 1A on the back of the jersey.  :lol:

natsfan1a

ha ha! (to quote Nelson Muntz)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
TRADE HIM!!!! WE MUST GET RID OF ANY GOOD PLAYERS CAUSE ITS NOT PART OF THE PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

......but, really we should trade him for prospects, its the safer way to go.

Offline natsfan7

Could you tell me where you read that? When your team's payroll is around $37 million, even an increase of $10 is a significant change. What constitutes significant, I would really love to know.

*edit*

Wow, its like you look inside me, at my thought and feelings and wrote them in a way thats about a million times better than I could of. *claps*

I am all for the plan, and understand that its need if we want to be contenders year in and year out. However, there is no way you can look me in the eye and truthfully tell me that cutting the payroll and basicly giving up on 2007 is need for the plan to succeed. Like Kenz said, even adding 10 mill to the payroll would be a "significant change", but didn't someone in the Nats say that they might double the payroll?

PS- Sorry for not posting alot lately, Ive been some what busy latley; but in my absents I still kept up with the nats and watch most of the games(if feel ashamed that Ive missed a few). I know youve missed me NOTLD....I know Ive missed your un-dieing love for the team and the plan, I could really use some reassurence is the "plan".  :roll:

Wow, its like you look inside me, at my thought and feelings and wrote them in a way thats about a million times better than I could of. *claps*

I am all for the plan, and understand that its need if we want to be contenders year in and year out. However, there is no way you can look me in the eye and truthfully tell me that cutting the payroll and basicly giving up on 2007 is need for the plan to succeed. Like Kenz said, even adding 10 mill to the payroll would be a "significant change", but didn't someone in the Nats say that they might double the payroll?

PS- Sorry for not posting alot lately, Ive been some what busy latley; but in my absents I still kept up with the nats and watch most of the games(if feel ashamed that Ive missed a few). I know youve missed me NOTLD....I know Ive missed your un-dieing love for the team and the plan, I could really use some reassurence is the "plan".  :roll:

"If your not willing to sacrifice for the thing you love, then maybe you really don't love it as much as you think you do."  I'm some long bearded, fat, bald guy on a snowy mountain somewhere said that at sometime. 

I will never understand why you and others aren't willing to just give one season to get things organized in what was once the most clusterfreaked and raped franchise in the MLB.  There is a part of me that really wants to see where this team would be currently and in five years time if we really went with the massive FA spending, win now-now-now attitude, and scrap the idea of scouting and the farm system.  Then I shrug that idea off and remember I have no desire to become the Baltimore Orioles II: Electric Boogaloo.

I am not sure when I suddenly became the poster fan for "The Plan".  Plenty of people agree with "The Plan" in various degrees and honestly, my patience does have an end.  But I do love this team with a passion.  Are all of the current players going to be with us in the long run?  No, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a season of baseball.  I'm as hungry for victory as everyone and this season has been rough but I am patient and understand it takes time.

Welcome back, by the way. ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
A brief comment from Baseball Prospectus:

The stock of Jim Bowden's deadline chits is rising rapidly. Ronnie Belliard is 18-for-43 with 32 total bases over his last 11 games, while Dmitri Young is 16-for-38 with 29 total bases over his last 10 games. Young is batting .342/.393/.523 for the season, and is first in batting average, not to mention third among NL first basemen in VORP. With Nick Johnson's rehab reaching the desperation stages, Bowden may choose to keep Da Meathook, but don't be surprised if words to that effect are merely a bluff to boost his value. 

Offline natsfan7

"If your not willing to sacrifice for the thing you love, then maybe you really don't love it as much as you think you do."  I'm some long bearded, fat, bald guy on a snowy mountain somewhere said that at sometime. 

I will never understand why you and others aren't willing to just give one season to get things organized in what was once the most clusterfreaked and raped franchise in the MLB.  There is a part of me that really wants to see where this team would be currently and in five years time if we really went with the massive FA spending, win now-now-now attitude, and scrap the idea of scouting and the farm system.  Then I shrug that idea off and remember I have no desire to become the Baltimore Orioles II: Electric Boogaloo.

I am not sure when I suddenly became the poster fan for "The Plan".  Plenty of people agree with "The Plan" in various degrees and honestly, my patience does have an end.  But I do love this team with a passion.  Are all of the current players going to be with us in the long run?  No, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a season of baseball.  I'm as hungry for victory as everyone and this season has been rough but I am patient and understand it takes time.

Welcome back, by the way. ;)

Without a doubt, no Nats fan Ive met or talked too is as supportive of the plan. I dont mean to negative about the plan, but I realize I must sound like a whiney b***h. So to anyone who thinks I am a whiney @$$hole, thanks for putting up to me. I don't really know why, but as the loses have mounted (at the start of the season I thought we had a chance to have a better record than in 2007; what a fool I was[to be fair, there is still a chance of it happening]) Ive become numb to it and find myself more with the mind set that "sure, why not , lets try this "plan" thing cause we really bad anyway." Infact, more and more Ive come to really like have a losing team, why I don't know, but its as if Ive become so use to it that I expect and look forward to losing(wow, Im just that weird).

Oh yeah, to that long bearded, fat, bald guy on a snowy mountain somewhere, I luv the nats as much as anyone; I just got a different way of showing it (like b***hing and yelling at everything I dont agree with...what can I say its in my blood,my dads from New York {and hes a mets fan, noooo!!!!!!!!!!!})

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

No apologies to those who might not?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Maybe we shouldn't be expecting any kind of trade or trades at all. After all, every time we hear about Bowden heating up the phone lines, nothing happens. And what do we hear about Jimbo less than 2 weeks before the non-waiver trade deadline, that Jim is on the phone constantly talking deals.

PROSPECT OF A TRADE:
Expectations: Conceivable to High
Probabilities: Increasingly marginal
End Results: Sobering

Offline ronnynat

Maybe we shouldn't be expecting any kind of trade or trades at all. After all, every time we hear about Bowden heating up the phone lines, nothing happens. And what do we hear about Jimbo less than 2 weeks before the non-waiver trade deadline, that Jim is on the phone constantly talking deals.

PROSPECT OF A TRADE:
Expectations: Conceivable to High
Probabilities: Increasingly marginal
End Results: Sobering
Plus, for the first time, unfortunately, we hear Bowden saying he wouldn't mind keeping Dmitri around. Could be to up the price, but him saying that doesn't make me feel very confident about a trade...again.