Author Topic: Gary Sheffield Is The Know-It-All of Race Issues  (Read 2981 times)

XM Radio has been reporting that an interview is about to circulate which involves Gary Sheffield mouthing off about how the Yankees organization treats it's black players differently than it's white players.  Also Sheffield levels his attack on Joe Torre and even at one point reportedly questions Derek Jeter's "blackness."

Sheffield has been reported to have done several interviews since then attempting to do damage control.

Gary Sheffield: The Master of Race

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Ehh, who cares anymore.  For what it's worth, Jeter doesn't look black at all.  But whatever :lol:

Offline Dave B

If only Sheffield and Carl Everett could form a think tank.  Although their interests dont overlap too much.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I don't understand why Sheffield gets a pass for saying all the things he says. Anybody else would get crucified and labeled a racist. 

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I dont know why every time a black player says something there is a huge rush to label him an idiot for it.  Do any of you know better than sheff what went on in the yanks clubhouse when he was there? When curt schilling runs his mouth for no reason, he gets praised for it.

Offline ronnynat

I think you guys on this board treat purple people w/ too much disrespect.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
I think you guys on this board treat purple people w/ disrespect.

Barney and the Purple People Eater are treated with the utmost respect in this forum.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
F*ck purple people!

Offline ronnynat

See what I mean!!

Offline Dave B

I dont know why every time a black player says something there is a huge rush to label him an idiot for it.  Do any of you know better than sheff what went on in the yanks clubhouse when he was there? When curt schilling runs his mouth for no reason, he gets praised for it.

I hate idiots of all races equally

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,3320.0.html

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim

When curt schilling runs his mouth for no reason, he gets praised for it.

According to Sheffield, its because Schilling is the type of player that "can't be controlled." :roll:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
I don't understand why Sheffield gets a pass for saying all the things he says. Anybody else would get crucified and labeled a racist. 

Questioning Jeter's blackness is a pretty stupid thing for Sheffield to get into. But making a claim that black players were treated differently than white players by Torre - and the Yankees in general - is not a racist statement. It is certainly a serious accusation - one that may very well be true - but it is not racist. At a minimum, it was his perception.

Evidently, when Pat Corrales was the manager of the Indians, there were tensions on the club due to a feeling among black players that the Hispanic players were getting preferential treatment. That was at a time when the league was getting a greater influx if Latin Amercan players. While those tensions on clubs have probably subsided a bit, I am sure they still exhist, whether real or perceived. (And in this area, perception is reality.) I don't doubt for a second that this is an ongoing dynamic that Manny Acta needs to deal with. In fact, he really needs to be careful as he begins his tenure as manager to pay attention to these perceptions in the clubhouse. And that is not just about the perceptions of the black players. There could be similar feelings among the white players or even among the non-Dominican Latin players. This is not something that can be avoided no matter how much people would like to not have to deal with it. When money, playing time, and egos are involved, these are real issues that must be respected and addressed.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I choose to label Sheffield an idiot because that's how I see it. I also think he's a racist, (you don't have to be white to be a racist).

Also, when was Shilling praised for running his mouth?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
I choose to label Sheffield an idiot because that's how I see it. I also think he's a racist, (you don't have to be white to be a racist).

I think some of his past comments have been idiotic and racist as well. But I don't consider these comments about the the treatment in the Yankees to be racist.

Offline Dave B

I think some of his past comments have been idiotic and racist as well. But I don't consider these comments about the the treatment in the Yankees to be racist.

I think it is kinda idiotic for him to say that Torre treats players of different races differently, but then says Torre is not a racist. I dont really feel like looking up the definition of "racist", but it sounds like he is accusing Torre of being racist then says "but he is not a racist".  Either go all the way and call Torre a racist or dont say anything at all. If you are going to bring the subject up, dont cover your own ass by just alluding to **** so you can always back away from your comments if public comes after you

I believe the proper term is "reverse racism."

Sheffield runs his mouth and sounds like some Al Sharpton Jr, so much so, its hard to take him seriously.  The next thing you know he is going to be saying the white beer vendors ignore black customers in Detroit.

And I agree with you Dave, him backpedaling like he is only proves to me he was just flapping his lips.  Goes to show you crap doesn't just come out a person's ass but also his mouth.

Kenny Lofton is now backing Sheffield and his claims.  Again, not the most reliable source in the world but things are coming out.

My Yank fan friends say its nothing but Sheffield trying to work the psychological angle and mess with the Yankees heads so they make more mistakes, eat each other, and generally have a disrupted clubhouse....

Not so hard to do in NY.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Kenny Lofton is now backing Sheffield and his claims.  Again, not the most reliable source in the world but things are coming out.

My Yank fan friends say its nothing but Sheffield trying to work the psychological angle and mess with the Yankees heads so they make more mistakes, eat each other, and generally have a disrupted clubhouse....

Not so hard to do in NY.

Well, Lofton being a player I respect for not getting into the kind of crap Sheffield has, I'm starting to believe the claims myself.  Or maybe Lofton's just trying to protect his buddy Sheff.

Offline Dave B

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/07/15/monday.scoop/index.html

or maybe torre is a you-dont-get-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-because-you-havent-won-any-championships-for-me-yet-ist

joker

if anyone wonders how someone with HOF caliber skills can end up being a journeyman (8 teams in 20 years of MLB service), look at Sheff's comments....What does he gain by saying this (book deal maybe)? The guy is a victim waiting for a reason to cry foul....his race, lack of respect on the team....blah blah blah....without your physical skills Gary, you'd be cleaning toilets for a living, based on nothing other than the apparent lack of sense you possess. You love to have this guy's bat in the line-up, but watch out if you hurt his feelings; then you become the latest enemy for him.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Not being privy to the goings on in and around the Yankees like Sheffield was, who are we to say he's right or wrong? Had a white player said the same things, he'd be treated much different. By some he would be harshly criticized, by others praised for his candor, and by others still, called an idiot.

To have said it, Sheffield must have seen or heard things that none of us are aware of. The same holds true if any other player, regardless of skin color or race, if they were to make the same claim. For anyone to be critical of what Sheffield said seems just as idiotic as those who are calling him the idiot for having made the claim in the first place.

Gary Sheffield is more aware of what goes on in regards to the Yankees than anyone in this forum, he's also more aware of how certain players are treated differently because of how they are perceived.

Will I ever be critical of Sheffield's statements? Hell no, I'll praise him for having the balls to say what's on his mind.

More tidbits on this ongoing whatever-you-want-to-call-it:

Darryl Strawberry (self-proclaimed "Best Ambassador to the Game") has come out and defended Joe Torre saying that Sheffield and Lofton are completely off base and wrong.

Meanwhile, Sheffield said if you think he is crazy, just go ask Lofton and Tony Womack.  "They know what I am talking about."

Womack has yet to enter this scuffle.

Offline Dave B

back to being the idiot.  when he said black players couldnt be controlled is ludicrous.  i'm sorry, but if you cant be controlled as a baseball player, there is not much hope for succeeding in anything, because there is not much controlling in baseball compared to regular jobs. he really is selling his race short

Offline Dave B

I dont know if anyone actually saw the interview on Real Sports last night, but Sheffield was not convincing in anything he said.  They spent about 15 seconds on the Yankees race issues. The meat (hook) of it was mainly steroids.  Lots of contradicting himself, question dodging, raising his voice, looking dumfounded, and answering questions with questions.  He said he knew Bonds was on steroids after he hit 73 HRs, yet went to work out with him and took stuff bonds gave him and didnt think they were steroids. 

I will admit that before all this steroid stuff came to light, I thought steroids were solely injectible.  And would definitely not think that a topical cream could be steroids.  I might suspect droplets under the tongue.  I would definitely be suspect of anything that Barry Bonds gave me.

He is either a liar or not very perceptive. Either way, I wouldnt put any stock in anything he says