Poll

Will A-Rod sign that big of a deal?

Yes, and he deserves it
Yes, but he doesn't deserve it
No, but he deserves it
No, and he doesn't deserve it

Author Topic: A-Rod: worth $30 million a year?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: A-Rod: worth $30 million a year?
« Topic Start: July 13, 2007, 04:53:28 PM »
I would love to know who voted "Yes, and he deserves it" and "No, but he deserves it" because whoever did has incredibly over inflated opinion of player values and how much money they deserve to earn. No player deserves even the $25 million a year A-Rod is earning now and to say he deserves $30 is <insert adjective of choice here> to say the least.

I just voted for no, but he deserves it. My reason being that while I believe he is the greatest offensive force in baseball history, no one is worth that money. Why he deserves it is because that is what his contract says he gets. If the Rangers were dumb enough to sign that deal and the Yankees were dumb enough to take it on, I am not going to fault the player. Players deserve to get what is in their contract, however crazy it is. So that is why I voted that way.

I believe the premise of this poll is inacurate. My understanding is not that Scott Boras is going after 30M, but that Arod's contract already says he will be paid that. Boras is suggesting that he could exercise his opt out clause and then pursue even more that the 30M. More power to him, but that is crazy. Eventually, players will be making that much, but I think the original Rangers deal was based upon a speculation at the time that salaries were going to inflate even more than they had, and a miscalculation of what even the greatest player really contributes to a team.