Poll

Will A-Rod sign that big of a deal?

Yes, and he deserves it
Yes, but he doesn't deserve it
No, but he deserves it
No, and he doesn't deserve it

Author Topic: A-Rod: worth $30 million a year?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• All in on the Nats
A-Rod: worth $30 million a year?
« Topic Start: July 13, 2007, 12:34:54 AM »
The buzz on BSPN is that A-Rod will want $30 million dollars or more for next year, with the Yankees or in free agency.  Tim Kurkjian wisely pointed out that for $30 million dollars this offseason, a team could sign Carlos Zambrano, Aaron Rowand, and Eric Gagne or Scott Linebrink.  Those three players would better a team all-around for less than A-Rod.  However, A-Rod is the best player in the game today IMO, and will be for years to come.

I vote "No, but he deserves it".  The Yankees have to also worry about Posada and Rivera's contracts after the year, and they simply can't afford both.  They'll have to stick with Posada and Rivera, and pray that A-Rod sticks with his current $25 million a year deal, which Scott Boras won't stand for.  Even though he seems to be content in New York finally, I think he'll end up signing with the Angels, who would be more than happy to clear a little bit of salary to acquire A-Rod this offseason.

Offline Dave B

Re: A-Rod: worth $30 million a year?
« Reply #1: July 13, 2007, 09:08:29 AM »
I dont think he will get it. Boras is full of hot air.  He kept saying beltran was going to get an Arod sized contract and like 11 years and he got like 16 mil for 6 or 7 years. 

I dont think he deserves it. Comparing other players salaries, is he twice as good as Soriano or Beltran?

« Reply #2: July 13, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »
He doesn't deserve such a salary, in fact, I don't think any player really does but I voted YES, he will get that money because there will always be some team dumb enough to pony up, especially just based off his "legend".

That is just a ridiculous sum of money for one player compared to what else you could possibly get.  A-Rod and NY have already proven he doesn't guarantee championships, just more dramatic off-Broadway shows.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #3: July 13, 2007, 04:00:31 PM »
I would love to know who voted "Yes, and he deserves it" and "No, but he deserves it" because whoever did has incredibly over inflated opinion of player values and how much money they deserve to earn. No player deserves even the $25 million a year A-Rod is earning now and to say he deserves $30 is <insert adjective of choice here> to say the least.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: July 13, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
I would love to know who voted "Yes, and he deserves it" and "No, but he deserves it" because whoever did has incredibly over inflated opinion of player values and how much money they deserve to earn. No player deserves even the $25 million a year A-Rod is earning now and to say he deserves $30 is <insert adjective of choice here> to say the least.

it all depends on what frame of reference you are looking at it from. from the overall human perspective, nobody deserves millions for playing baseball.  inside the baseball vacuum, one could conceivably be worth 30 million. however, he might have to hit .400 with 60 HR and 170 RBI

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: July 13, 2007, 04:53:28 PM »

I just voted for no, but he deserves it. My reason being that while I believe he is the greatest offensive force in baseball history, no one is worth that money. Why he deserves it is because that is what his contract says he gets. If the Rangers were dumb enough to sign that deal and the Yankees were dumb enough to take it on, I am not going to fault the player. Players deserve to get what is in their contract, however crazy it is. So that is why I voted that way.

I believe the premise of this poll is inacurate. My understanding is not that Scott Boras is going after 30M, but that Arod's contract already says he will be paid that. Boras is suggesting that he could exercise his opt out clause and then pursue even more that the 30M. More power to him, but that is crazy. Eventually, players will be making that much, but I think the original Rangers deal was based upon a speculation at the time that salaries were going to inflate even more than they had, and a miscalculation of what even the greatest player really contributes to a team.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #6: July 13, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »
it all depends on what frame of reference you are looking at it from. from the overall human perspective, nobody deserves millions for playing baseball.  inside the baseball vacuum, one could conceivably be worth 30 million. however, he might have to hit .400 with 60 HR and 170 RBI

How many more wins does a $30 million dollar player batting .400 hitting 60 HR and driving in 170 give a team over a $5 million dollar player who hits over .300, has 30+ HR and drives in 100? the answer isn't enough to give merit to the extra $25 million.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #7: July 13, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
I just voted for no, but he deserves it. My reason being that while I believe he is the greatest offensive force in baseball history, no one is worth that money. Why he deserves it is because that is what his contract says he gets. If the Rangers were dumb enough to sign that deal and the Yankees were dumb enough to take it on, I am not going to fault the player. Players deserve to get what is in their contract, however crazy it is. So that is why I voted that way.

OMG, do we ever differ on who's the greatest offensive player in "the history of baseball". I'm sure that had both Willie Mays and Josh Gibson played in the Majors during the same period A-Rod has and is going to, their numbers would dwarf those of even the biggest hitters, year after year. I saw Mays play in his later years and he was still a very impressive player at the plate and in the field, and I can only imagine the numbers Josh Gibson would have put up today.

And darned if I cant argue the second part of your post, because there's nothing to argue about.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #8: July 13, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »
OMG, do we ever differ on who's the greatest offensive player in "the history of baseball". I'm sure that had both Willie Mays and Josh Gibson played in the Majors during the same period A-Rod has and is going to, their numbers would dwarf those of even the biggest hitters, year after year. I saw Mays play in his later years and he was still a very impressive player at the plate and in the field, and I can only imagine the numbers Josh Gibson would have put up today.

And darned if I cant argue the second part of your post, because there's nothing to argue about.

Well, like the second part, the first is a matter of symantics as well. I am not saying Arod is a better player than Mays, even taking into account eras. And I would have loved to see them play at the same time, because I would also bet that Mays would come out ahead. Notice also that I choose to use the term "force" not "player" for that specific reason. But this is just about overall offensive productivity per increment of time, and given what Arod has done at the plate and on the basepaths, and his career pace, he just sticks out as a sore thumb. The Bonds numbers at the age of 42 almost seem moot considering Arod is only 31.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: July 14, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

There's another line of thinking on the subject, per Scott Boras, who I heard as a guest on XM two nights ago.  That is, there is a general rule of thumb that the players salaries should approximate 50% of gross revenue, with the rest going to operating expenses and profit.  Revenues have been skyrocketing in recent years as teams get smarter about media contracts, MLB.com, etc, and so therefore player wages should move in a corresponding direction.

Of course Scott Boras is very self serving in his remarks, but there is an element of fairness to his contention that player compensation should increase when revenues increase.

It would be interesting if you could conduct a poll, along the lines of this.  Ask 50% of your audience if they think A-Rod should make $30m annually, if you believe he's the best player in the game.  Then ask the other 50% if they believe that if revenues increase, players should get a fair share of the increase.  I bet most folks would say "no" to paying A-Rod $30m, but would say "yes" to players sharing in the growth of revenues.  Well guess what, that's two sides of a very similar question.

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #10: July 14, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »
I'd love to see a current source that shows the percentage of payroll in relation to each team's revenues. The only one I could find was from 2005 and it showed (with the help of Excel) that 23 of the 30 teams spent more than 50% on player payroll, an average 63.52% of revenues going towards payroll, while the other 7 teams averaged 41.45% of revenues. Both payrolls and revenues have increased, but I'm pretty sure the ratios are still very close to the same.

Scott Boras may think his idea is one that will make his clients more money, but with the 30 teams already at an average 58.89% of revenues going to players, it would meanl decreases not increases in team payrolls.