Author Topic: Good Old Jose Guillen  (Read 525 times)

Offline Dave B

Good Old Jose Guillen
« Topic Start: July 02, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
I guess he really liked Mike Hargrove. And he hit a tying HR and winning single

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270701112

Offline Kenz aFan

Re: Good Old Jose Guillen
« Reply #1: July 02, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
Yes, but he did it after Hargrove resigned, or I misreading your post and you're being sarcastic?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: July 02, 2007, 03:19:08 PM »
He cried at the end of hargrove's last game.

not being sarcastic. Just things like this remind me of the good old days when Jose would hit like hell and call other team's managers pieces of garbage

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: July 02, 2007, 04:27:29 PM »
Part of the story re Guillen:

SEATTLE (AP) -- Jose Guillen had tears in his eyes, Raul Ibanez said the whole team was in shock and Ichiro Suzuki had no idea why his manager quit.

Mike Hargrove stunned his Seattle Mariners on Sunday, resigning just hours before they rallied past the Toronto Blue Jays 2-1 in his finale to extend their winning streak to eight games.

"Definitely a weird day. Strange. Sad," Ibanez said. "I've never been through something like that."

Guillen hit a tying homer in the eighth inning and a game-ending single off third baseman Troy Glaus' glove in the ninth for the Mariners, who got another strong outing from a rejuvenated Jeff Weaver.

But afterward, the Mariners were still coming to grips with Hargrove's departure. He became the first major league manager since at least 1900 to depart while on a winning streak of more than seven games, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"I really love him," Guillen said.

A player who has had several run-ins with managers throughout his career getting gooey over his latest one? Just another bizarre development befitting a bizarre day.

Offline natsfan1a

« Reply #4: July 02, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »
I seem to recall that Guillen had something of a father-son element to his relationship with Frank, but the Seattle reporter must not have been aware of it.

A player who has had several run-ins with managers throughout his career getting gooey over his latest one? Just another bizarre development befitting a bizarre day.