Author Topic: Best starts since Expos moved to DC  (Read 1260 times)

Best starts since Expos moved to DC
« Topic Start: June 29, 2007, 01:28:33 PM »
I found this on the Capitol Punishment blog and thought some of you might like to see it, especially those of you who say that John Patterson wasn't even very good in 2005.  I would like you to note that there are actually 6 games listed here since there is a tie for 4th.  Number 2 was pitched by Pedro Astacio, Jason Bergmann tied for 4th, and the other 4 games were pitched by... guess who???

"Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Other Great Starts
Bill James invented a junk stat -- a fun little gimmick -- called "Game Scores" to try to assess how dominant a pitcher is. It's a pretty basic concept, and it doesn't really tell anything per se, but it does sorta tell how dominant a pitcher is.

Here's the formula: Start with 50 points. Add 1 point for each out recorded, (or 3 points per inning). Add 2 points for each inning completed after the 4th. Add 1 point for each strikeout. Subtract 2 points for each hit allowed. Subtract 4 points for each earned run allowed. Subtract 2 points for each unearned run allowed. Subtract 1 point for each walk.

An average outing is about 50. Anything above that's pretty good. 70 is a solid start. 80 is a dominant start. And 90 is one that you'll remember for a few years.

Kerry Wood holds the record, when he had that one-hit, 20K complete game a number of years back.

So where does Jason Bergmann's outing rank with the Nats? Pretty damn good, actually.

He's tied for the fourth-best start since the team moved to Washington.

1) 92: 8/4/05 -- John Patterson struck out 13 Dodger in a four-hit shutout, a game many will remember for Brad Wilkerson's grand slam.

2) 88: 8/15/06 -- Pedro Astacio threw the most improbable game of the year, the Nationals' first CG of the year in a 5-0 2-hitter against the Braves. He struck out 5 batters and threw just 89 pitches.

3) 84: 4/15/06 -- John Patterson, before his injury, gave us a glimpse of how dominant he could be when he was on. He matched his 13 Ks but allowed a run in his 8 innings -- the run coming on back-to-back doubles in the fifth, two of the three hits he allowed.

4) 83: 9/16/05 -- John Patterson didn't know that the season would slip away over the next two games, but his CG 5-1 win over Jake Peavy and the Padres was pure clutch. He struck out 6, and allowed just three hits, while lowering his ERA to an amazing 2.65.

4) 83: 5/14/07 -- Jason Bergmann was dominant, but he didn't go the distance, knocking a few points of his potential score.

5) 82: 7/19/05 -- John Patterson started the 9th inning with a shutout, but after giving up his third hit, Frank gave him the hook. 8 strikeouts in 8 innings, with just three hits allowed. Those were the good times, weren't they?
You're probably thinking that there's one missing -- Ramon Ortiz' near no-no from last Labor Day. It's close, but definitely no cigar. He finished with a game score of 78 because he allowed a run, walked three batters, only struck out five, and eventually allowed two hits. A great start, for sure. A great memory, definitely. But it's not, all things considered, one of the five best."

By the way, if you want to argue this - and I know some of you will (Spidernat and one or 2 nameless others) - don't argue with me, argue with Chris at "Capitol Punishment" or Bill James.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Best starts since Expos moved to DC
« Reply #1: June 29, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »

1) 92: 8/4/05 -- John Patterson struck out 13 Dodger in a four-hit shutout, a game many will remember for Brad Wilkerson's grand slam.

If anyone remembers that game because of Wilkerson's grand slam, I can't believe that they were there. And if they were there, their lack of appreciation for the game is disturbing. For those in attendance, even those around me who had not been following him all season, that night belonged to Patterson. The grandslam was more of an exclamation point on Patterson's big night that simply made the victory completely decisive.

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: June 29, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Yeah, it was definitely Patterson's night. One of my all-time favorite in-person Nats games!

« Reply #3: June 29, 2007, 02:01:59 PM »
Yeah, it was definitely Patterson's night. One of my all-time favorite in-person Nats games!

Does anyone have a video of that game or know where I could get one?  My VCR acted up and all I have is the last inning and the interview after the game.  I haved tried MLB.com, the Nationals, MASN, 2 message boards, and have had no luck whatsoever.  Any suggestions?

natsfan1a

« Reply #4: June 29, 2007, 02:19:01 PM »
I think I remember somebody posting in a recent thread that they'd downloaded it from the MLB site and watched it. Can't remember who it was.

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: June 29, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
If you use this link and scroll down to August 4 there are some "Patterson's gem" links. Click on one and it will take you to the video player with options for MLBTV, highlights, condensed game, and top play (I think you'd have to pay to watch the whole or condensed game):

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=was&ym=200508

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: June 29, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Any time somebody posts one of these highlights, I just cant help but watch a ton of them. 6/5/05, day we took first place (great play by guzman, probably the best since he's been here, and the church game breaker). Of course, the angels series is required viewing. I really loved Guillen, the emotion from him and Frank after he lasered that HR was great.  Also check out franks shades. I think he had lasix that day

« Reply #7: June 29, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
I think I remember somebody posting in a recent thread that they'd downloaded it from the MLB site and watched it. Can't remember who it was.

He said he had it on his DVR.  I contacted him and he said he would make me a copy and let me know when he got around to it.  I have not heard from him since so I assume he has either not gotten around to it yet or changed  his mind so I am looking for other sources.

« Reply #8: June 29, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
If you use this link and scroll down to August 4 there are some "Patterson's gem" links. Click on one and it will take you to the video player with options for MLBTV, highlights, condensed game, and top play (I think you'd have to pay to watch the whole or condensed game):

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=was&ym=200508

I have contacted MLB.com several times but nobody there can seem to tell me whether 2005 games are available and what I have to do to get them.  There are several games I want and I would really like to find videos, if possible, so I can watch them whenever I want and not have to sit in front of my computer.  However, I  would get the computer ones as a last resort, but, as I say, MLB.com has not been at all helpful.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: June 29, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »
I was at that game and I remember thinking after Wilkerson's grand slam that we were about to get really hot and do something special  :( NOT. Considering the information above we should insist JP start the ASG then.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: June 29, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
you should beg MASN to make it a Nationals Classic and just be ready to record it when it comes on

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: June 29, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
I'm very surprised that Livan Hernandez isn't on that list, and I'm much more impressed by the fact that Bergmann is on there, especially since it seems as though Manny isn't going to be giving his starters a chance to complete any games, anytime soon. Hopefully that will change as the season moves along.

natsfan1a

« Reply #12: June 29, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »
That's a good idea.

you should beg MASN to make it a Nationals Classic and just be ready to record it when it comes on

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: June 29, 2007, 04:11:36 PM »
Oh, that's too bad. Maybe one of our techie members knows whether games on the site can be burned to DVD and watched that way, or is it just a one-time, real-time online viewing?

I have contacted MLB.com several times but nobody there can seem to tell me whether 2005 games are available and what I have to do to get them.  There are several games I want and I would really like to find videos, if possible, so I can watch them whenever I want and not have to sit in front of my computer.  However, I  would get the computer ones as a last resort, but, as I say, MLB.com has not been at all helpful.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: June 29, 2007, 06:11:20 PM »

Last year, when I initially signed up for MLB.TV (then ended up canceling because of problems) the games from 2005 were available as archived games. Those games must be stored somewhere, because I just cant believe that MLB would be so stupid as to delete or otherwise get rid of them.

There must be someone associated with MLB, either directly or indirectly, that has or knows where those archived games are. Finding out who that person is, would go a long way towards taking care of your need.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #15: June 29, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »
Here you go ... August 4  .. if you click on the video link, you can get the whole game ..

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #16: June 29, 2007, 10:06:17 PM »
This stat needs to include who the pitcher is facing and the situation for each team. Like, if you're playing a division leader or a team in the WC race. If you face the worst hitting team in baseball and you get a 3 hitter, I don't think you should get more points than someone who faced Boston and had a 4 hitter.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #17: June 29, 2007, 11:01:21 PM »
How did Hernandez not have a start worthy of being on that list?