Author Topic: Biggio Gets 3000th hit.  (Read 1550 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Biggio Gets 3000th hit.
« Topic Start: June 29, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »
It's hard to argue with this, especially since they point out how it in no way diminishes the overall quality of his great career. Unfortunately, this type of thing has happened on many occasions when a player gets close to a record or milestone. I remember when Monk passed the alltime reception record with a series of passes late in a game to make sure it happened at home. Favre fell down for Strahan's sack record. They point out Rose, and other examples exist where this type of thing is done that cheapens the process. Although these longevity stats have a tendency to have a flavor of that more often than we probably would like. He's in the 3000 club now, and I doubt anyone years from now will bother to qualify that fact with this type of commentary, because it would be a bit unfair to single Biggio out.

My favorite part of this piece is actually the point made about how those that honor stats the most are the ones more likely to take offense at this than those that seem to always harp that the numbers don't matter.