Author Topic: Big things are brewing  (Read 3348 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Big things are brewing
« Topic Start: June 27, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
From the nats.com site:

Beltran Perez off the 40-man roster. Looks like he was a flash in the pan.

Something huge must be coming. Nats.com says there are now 35 people on the 40 man (remember Jermaine Van Buren, nicknamed Martin by Svrluga, is gone.)

Multi-player trades a-coming. It's almost July!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Big things are brewing
« Reply #1: June 27, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
From the nats.com site:

Beltran Perez off the 40-man roster. Looks like he was a flash in the pan.

Something huge must be coming. Nats.com says there are now 35 people on the 40 man (remember Jermaine Van Buren, nicknamed Martin by Svrluga, is gone.)

Multi-player trades a-coming. It's almost July!

Cool. This is when things get fun to watch. I'll be interested to see if Bradley ends up somewhere else through DC as part of a multi-team deal (possibly with Dukes coming back).

I'll also be interested to see if Church is part of a deal and whether he has had any distractions recently due to conversations with his agent about being moved.

The Cubs have lost Dempster for a bit (he was put on the DL) so they could be looking for bullpen help.

The speculations are fun because with Jimbo, anything is possible.

joker

« Reply #2: June 27, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
yeah jim is one of the few Gms not afraid to take a few risks

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: June 27, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
Tighten your seatbelts!!

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #4: June 27, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
BTW, looking at the 40-man roster, there appears to be more guys than that. I think it is 39. Not sure what is different. I do see that Booker is on there, but I thought he already was. NJ and Wagner are now the only guys on the 60-day.

« Reply #5: June 27, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »

"The suspense is terrible...I hope it will last."

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: June 27, 2007, 05:50:40 PM »
I'm not getting my hopes up here. This could mean ANYTHING.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: June 27, 2007, 06:03:04 PM »

I'll also be interested to see if Church is part of a deal and whether he has had any distractions recently due to conversations with his agent about being moved.

Conversations with agent about being moved?? Care to elaborate?

joker

« Reply #8: June 27, 2007, 06:24:22 PM »
So who do you think the trade will involve?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #9: June 27, 2007, 06:46:36 PM »

Well, if it IS true, I wouldn't mind him going to another team at all. I like him a lot, actually, but I swear he'd be even better on a team with better stadium dimensions. Plus, he doesn't have the best history here. He's at an age where he needs to get his best opportunity NOW and that'd probably happen somewhere else. Good luck to him, regardless.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #10: June 27, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
BTW, looking at the 40-man roster, there appears to be more guys than that. I think it is 39. Not sure what is different. I do see that Booker is on there, but I thought he already was. NJ and Wagner are now the only guys on the 60-day.

Nationals.com roster is waaaaaaay behind. Don't trust it!

Hinckley, Diaz, Broadway, are off. Maybe Guzman was moved to the 60-day? The number 35 came from the press release.

WshNats

« Reply #11: June 27, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
 who other then Young would even garner more then 1 player in return that is suitable for the ML roster?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #12: June 27, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »
Belliard, maybe Batista (you never know), Rauch, Cordero, Church, Watson. Then we start thinking outside the box - Lopez, Kearns, Schneider.
Trader Jim is just getting started.

Also, a player does not have to be major league ready to be on the 40-man. Just close to it or worth protecting in the Rule 5 draft.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #13: June 27, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
"The suspense is terrible...I hope it will last."
Classic. Just classic. Gene Wilder is amazing.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #14: June 27, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »

It is all pure speculation, I haven't heard anything new. We all know that Church has always been a trade chip on the block, so anything is possible. But when a guy is potentially going to be moved, they sometimes get contacted ahead of time, need to get checked out medically, etc.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #15: June 27, 2007, 08:20:51 PM »

According to Bill Ladson, in an article on June 22nd, the Nats outrighted Larry Broadway to Columbus and Frank Diaz and Michael Hinckley to Harrisburg, moving all three players off the 40-man roster, so there are 36 players on the Nats 40-man Roster. Don't use the Nats site as a gauge as to how many players are on the 40-man roster.

Source: Notes: Hill wonders 'What if?' (scroll down....)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #16: June 27, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »
And Perez makes 35? Can't find him at nats.com though - man they are behind :icon_exclaim:

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #17: June 27, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
According to Bill Ladson, in an article on June 22nd, the Nats outrighted Larry Broadway to Columbus and Frank Diaz and Michael Hinckley to Harrisburg, moving all three players off the 40-man roster, so there are 36 players on the Nats 40-man Roster. Don't use the Nats site as a gauge as to how many players are on the 40-man roster.

Source: Notes: Hill wonders 'What if?' (scroll down....)

Thanks. That clears thing up because I was confused by what I saw on the nats site.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: June 27, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »
Bob Carpenter said in the pre-game show that it was rumored that Tampa Bay would have grabbed Nook Logan off waivers, if he'd been sent to the minors instead of Brandon Watson, who had options.  He also said to not be surprised to see Watson back soon.  That made me wonder if a trade is the works involving Logan and the D-Rays, especially with Escobar expected back within 10 days.  (We can start a poll on how long before he goes back to the DL.) 

Tampa Bay's recent statement indicated that they wanted to keep Elijah Dukes for themselves.  Gomes is racking up similar stats with a higher batting average for them now, so they are not really hurting for an outfielder.  I know they badly need pitchers, so maybe a multi-player deal is in the works? 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #20: June 27, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
Damn, I forgot that Escobar is on the 60-Day disabled list, not the 15-Day. So, you're right, there are 35 players on the Nats 40-man roster.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #21: June 27, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
Bob Carpenter said in the pre-game show that it was rumored that Tampa Bay would have grabbed Nook Logan off waivers, if he'd been sent to the minors instead of Brandon Watson, who had options.  He also said to not be surprised to see Watson back soon.  That made me wonder if a trade is the works involving Logan and the D-Rays, especially with Escobar expected back within 10 days.  (We can start a poll on how long before he goes back to the DL.) 

Tampa Bay's recent statement indicated that they wanted to keep Elijah Dukes for themselves.  Gomes is racking up similar stats with a higher batting average for them now, so they are not really hurting for an outfielder.  I know they badly need pitchers, so maybe a multi-player deal is in the works? 
(Image removed from quote.)

I still think that the waiver rules are that you only get to revoke waivers once a month, and if that is the case, they could be waiting until the 1st of the month to try to move someone through that they don't want to risk losing.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #22: June 27, 2007, 11:53:56 PM »
Is it okay to have less than 40 men on your 40-man roster.  By definition, you'd think something's up...

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #23: June 28, 2007, 06:47:15 AM »
Watch this just be so they can add Balester and Lannan to the 40 man before the promised call-up after the all-star break, and the reinstatement of Escobar. Today is an off day so if anything big is brewing today might be the day for it to happen.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: June 28, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »
That's still only 38...