Author Topic: Happy Gilmore - Chubbs  (Read 916 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Happy Gilmore - Chubbs
« Topic Start: June 26, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »
This story sounds almost exactly like the one Chubbs tells in the movie Happy Gilmore.

One-eyed gator chomps down on golfer trying to get ball out of pond
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 26 2007, 10:28 AM EDT

VENICE -- A Tennessee man who lost his ball in a golf course pond nearly lost a limb when an 11-foot alligator latched on to his arm and pulled him in, authorities said.

Bruce Burger, 50, was trying to retrieve his ball from a pond on the sixth hole Monday at the Lake Venice Golf Club.

The alligator latched on to Burger's right forearm and pulled him in the pond, said Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He used his left arm to beat on the reptile until it freed him.

``I saw him reach down to get his ball and he yelled ... 'Help. Help. I've been bitten by a gator,''' said Janet Pallo, who was playing the fifth hole and ran over to drive the man to the clubhouse.

Burger, from Lenoir City, Tenn., was taken to a hospital but was not seriously injured, Morse said Tuesday.

It took seven Fish and Wildlife officers an hour to trap the one-eyed alligator, which measured 10 feet, 11 inches, Morse said.

The pond at the sixth hole has a ``Beware of Alligator'' sign posted because the staff is aware that a large alligator likes to hang out there.

``Unfortunately, that's part of Florida,'' course general manager Rod Parry said. ``There's wildlife in these ponds.''
Sun-Sentinel

May and June is mating season when they are more aggressive regardless of the situation, and are especially aggressive when protecting nests.  Further, we are in the middle of a severe drought which has greatly cut back on their food supply.  When in a tangle with one that size, he's lucky to have gotten away at all.  One that big has gotta weigh about 400# -450#.  To not be seriously hurt is almost a miracle.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Happy Gilmore - Chubbs
« Reply #1: June 26, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
Anybody that approaches a pond in the southern states had better be paying damn attention. There's lots of critters around that can do damage.

I braced myself on a nice convenient mound of earth in Texas, at the edge of a pond where I was catching some nice bass.  Unfortunately, the mound was a fire ant mound, and they got me pretty good before I realized what was happening.

Learned I was allergic to them, too.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: June 27, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »
I swear I saw a wolf driving through Texas/Louisiana once. Not a coyote - a wolf. Looked at pictures of both and decided it had to be a wolf. Yes I know they're basically extinct, but I know what I saw.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: June 27, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »
I swear I saw a wolf driving through Texas/Louisiana once. Not a coyote - a wolf. Looked at pictures of both and decided it had to be a wolf. Yes I know they're basically extinct, but I know what I saw.

Holy crap they can drive? We're screwed! :shock:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: June 27, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
North - he ran right across I-10

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: June 27, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »
North - he ran right across I-10

re-read, I guess my first joke was too subtle ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: June 27, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
oh yeah. Hard to see one's own typos. I forgot the word "while"  :D

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: June 27, 2007, 11:00:46 PM »
That sounds exactly like Chubbs. The golfer had it coming if there was a sign there.