Author Topic: Anyone ever do their own roof coating?  (Read 635 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Anyone ever do their own roof coating?
« Topic Start: June 26, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »
I have a 3 or 4 year old replacement rubber overlay flat roof on the back of my house that is in need of a new treatment of aluminum roof coat.  Roofer wants $500.  I think I can do it myself, but I know NOTHING about this kind of stuff.  It's a roof that is easily accessible without a ladder (can just climb out top floor window), so it seems like paying someone $500 in combat pay for something that is inherently easy is pretty pointless...anyone have any experience with this aluminum stuff, and if so, where I can buy some?

Offline kimnat

Re: Anyone ever do their own roof coating?
« Reply #1: June 26, 2007, 01:56:42 PM »
I remember my grandfather and uncle doing this to the tin roof of the old farmhouse when I was a kid, but I am TOTALLY not the right person to seek advice from on this one!  I think they just got a bucket of the stuff and used a large paint brush to spread it.  Shouldn't be that hard.

But what I lack in strength I make up for with knowledge!  :D  I can unclog a sink or toilet, retile a vinyl tile floor, caulk a tub and the new flooring edge w/ the wall, paint, strip paint from a wall and even strip/sand old furniture and refinish.  If I had the upper arm strength, I could dig a nice flat area in my yard and spread sand and place stones for a patio, but am just not strong enough.  I love that kinda stuff.  Poor Dan!  I tease him that I brought the power tool into the marriage (a drill).  then I suck him into a huge swingset that now needs to be re-assembled (after the ground has been leveled a bit more).  I'm terrible.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: June 26, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »
The only place I could find that sells the stuff is the manufacturer:

http://www.texasrefinerycoatings.com/html/trc_aluminum_roof_coating.html

Offline nospinzone1

« Reply #3: June 26, 2007, 05:54:28 PM »
I remember my grandfather and uncle doing this to the tin roof of the old farmhouse when I was a kid, but I am TOTALLY not the right person to seek advice from on this one!  I think they just got a bucket of the stuff and used a large paint brush to spread it.  Shouldn't be that hard.

But what I lack in strength I make up for with knowledge!  :D  I can unclog a sink or toilet, retile a vinyl tile floor, caulk a tub and the new flooring edge w/ the wall, paint, strip paint from a wall and even strip/sand old furniture and refinish.  If I had the upper arm strength, I could dig a nice flat area in my yard and spread sand and place stones for a patio, but am just not strong enough.  I love that kinda stuff.  Poor Dan!  I tease him that I brought the power tool into the marriage (a drill).  then I suck him into a huge swingset that now needs to be re-assembled (after the ground has been leveled a bit more).  I'm terrible.

ARE YOU LISTED AT ANGIE'S OR CRAIG'S LIST? JIJIJI

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: June 26, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
teehee!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: June 26, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the link...that's exactly what I want to buy.  Hopefully they won't fall down laughing when they get a call from some clueless dork who wants to buy enough to coat 200 sq ft (they're used to Air Force hangers, judging from the web site).

The only place I could find that sells the stuff is the manufacturer:

http://www.texasrefinerycoatings.com/html/trc_aluminum_roof_coating.html