Author Topic: WWE Chris Benoit Kills Wife and Child Then Himself  (Read 3030 times)

From link:

WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday, and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.

WAGA-TV reported investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. The bodies were found in three rooms.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicides, and that autopsies were to be performed Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight and Intercontinental champion. He also held several tag-team titles during his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the organization said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The native of Canada maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
USA Network aired a three hour tribute to a murderer?
:stupid:

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
They didn't know it was a murder-suicide at the time, no details had been released.  Besides, I don't see the sense in being so one-sided about it.  The impact a man had on the people around him in his life doesn't change regardless of the circumstances of his death.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'm just wary of the whole hero-worship culture.  Mark my words, folks will be painting him to be a victim in this, no matter how despicable his actions.

I hope they do a toxicology report, bet he was loaded with muscle building stuff, which may have had an impact on his behavior.

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
There are also rumors that the wife my have killed the child, and that he then flipped out and killed her and himself.  The fact that an official has commented that the details are "a little bizarre" when they've already stated they're investigating a murder-suicide does nothing to quell these rumors, so let's not jump to conclusions either.  I don't see any hero-worshipping going on here, just a culture mourning the death of one of its own.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
so let's not jump to conclusions either. 

But Chief, jumping to conclusions is what we're all about here!

However, point taken, I'll withhold further ranting until enough facts emerge to justify a fresh rant.  But be warned....

TMZ.com

TMZ has learned more about the deaths of WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit, his wife and son -- and the information is extremely disturbing.

Several Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday's WWE "Vengeance" Pay-Per-View program -- possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home.

A police investigation is ongoing.

Rajah.com
Rajah.com reports that WWE has pulled all Benoit merchandise from its online store and has begun to purge his name from the record books. Benoit's name has been removed from the DVD description of WrestleMania XX. It now says, "Triple H defends his World Heavyweight Championship against Shawn Michaels." In reality, that was a triple threat match between Triple H, Michaels and Benoit that Benoit won to become WWE Champion

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
Disturbing indeed.  Official sources seem to have indeed come to the conclusion that he killed both of them, as WWE is quoting them in an article linked from it's own front page - http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitupdate

Offline ronnynat

It seems that people on this site do pretty well w/ announcing these types of things to everyone, but did anyone announce Rod Beck's death? Just wondering because he was a pretty darn good closer in the majors.

Offline kimnat

Yeah, I think I saw it in the other mlb area on the board.

Offline kimnat

Hey Tom, according to a blurb on FNC, the authorities are also wondering if it was "roid rage". 

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
I think Beck's death was covered well enough by the mainstream media that to report it again here would be superfluous (though I wouldn't object to anyone doing so).  Pro wrestlers on the other hand barely get any media coverage, even in an unusual case like this, so a lot of us ex-wrestling fans might not have heard about this otherwise.

Just my two cents.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Pro wrestlers on the other hand barely get any media coverage,
What are you talking about?   :P

More information released.  Disturbing, disgusting.  Involves bibles and needle marks in his seven year old son.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2917133

Offline kimnat

The bizarre gets more bizarre!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Steroids had nothing to do with it. Of course if all you think about wrestling is steroid freaks then you would assume. But there is no evidence of steroids being a factor, and all of the evidence points to this being a deliberate, premeditated action, the type not commonly associated with "roid rage".

Offline kimnat

Actually, I have to beg to differ here.  Shepard Smith had a doc on yesterday talkingabout this.  He said the rages can go over a period of days and be combined w/ bizarre behavior.  Then I have to couple w/ that what I saw in Andrew when he was on Prednisone for his cancer.  Pred is a NASTY drug.  Andrew would come out raging for no apparent reason.  One time, when it was particular horrible, I had to use all my strength (literally) to hold him back from seriously hurting my 5 yo Elisa.  Then I had to pin him down for LITERALLY 45 MINUTES until he would calm down.  It was at that time he was placed on the anti-depressant which truly helped!

Offline joker

• zimmerman.....ryan zimmerman
USA Network aired a three hour tribute to a murderer?
:stupid:

I bet it was roid rage

Offline natsfan1a

It sounds like authorities are looking at that possibility. This piece also says that his son had a mental disability. Poor kid. Very sad.

http://www.examiner.com/printa-804511~Dead_Wrestler's_Web_Page_Was_Altered.html?cid=tool-print-top

Offline ronnynat

This is pretty crazy. Someone updated Wikipedia w/ Benoit's wife's death hours before police even knew about it.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/10240015

Offline mikehughes

This is pretty crazy. Someone updated Wikipedia w/ Benoit's wife's death hours before police even knew about it.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/10240015

I heard that too, thats still something im trying to figure out. I was wondering if maybe he told someone he had done it already or something. Benoit defiantly wasnt a wrestler that came to mind when my mom told me some wrestler had killed up his family. I was guessing it was more like some older wrestler. Was it a forshadowing that on the day he died, the WWE PPV made mention of his former best freind Eddie Guerrero's death after they hadnt mentioned that in a good year or so. Then they also bring up his other good freind Dean Malenko who I havent heard about in like 5 years or since he last wrestled. I just found that to be kind of weird..

Offline ronnynat

I heard that too, thats still something im trying to figure out. I was wondering if maybe he told someone he had done it already or something. Benoit defiantly wasnt a wrestler that came to mind when my mom told me some wrestler had killed up his family. I was guessing it was more like some older wrestler. Was it a forshadowing that on the day he died, the WWE PPV made mention of his former best freind Eddie Guerrero's death after they hadnt mentioned that in a good year or so. Then they also bring up his other good freind Dean Malenko who I havent heard about in like 5 years or since he last wrestled. I just found that to be kind of weird..

My only guess is that it was Benoit, himself. You'd have to be out of your mind if you are going to run and update Wikipedia when something like that happens! It would make sense for someone who had just done what Benoit did to do it. How could someone hear their friend say that he did something like that and then run and do THAT?

Offline 2k6nats

• All in on the Nats
My only guess is that it was Benoit, himself. You'd have to be out of your mind if you are going to run and update Wikipedia when something like that happens! It would make sense for someone who had just done what Benoit did to do it. How could someone hear their friend say that he did something like that and then run and do THAT?

Benoit wasn't in Stanford at the time.  Read the entire article; they traced the IP address to Stanford.

Offline kimnat

This just gets weirder and weirder by the hour!