Author Topic: Patterson has major setback in recovery  (Read 2468 times)

Offline PC

Patterson has major setback in recovery
« Topic Start: June 24, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- About 20 minutes after the final out of the Nationals' heartbreaking defeat to the Indians on Saturday night, right-hander John Patterson announced that he had suffered a major setback earlier in the day. He had to quit his bullpen session because he felt pain in his right elbow and biceps.

Patterson was working on fixing his mechanics in the session, and he tried to go all out by throwing his fastball. That's when he had to stop.

Patterson said he is planning to see four doctors this week. He will first go Arlington, Texas, to see Dr. John Conway on Monday and then visit Dr. Lewis Yocum, the Angels' medical director, the next day. Patterson did not announce who the other two doctors were.

Patterson has been on the disabled list since May 6 because of the elbow and biceps problems. Since that time, Patterson has been having neck massages in order to get rid of the nerve problems in the elbow. Patterson had indicated in the past that the treatment was working.

"I just can't continue to go the way that I'm going right now. We are going to get some second opinions and see if we can get the problems fixed," Patterson said. "We haven't been able to get answers so far."

"Throughout this whole process, it has never really gone away. There were days that were better than others. I think what we have been doing has been helping the situation a little bit. It's just hasn't completely gone away. We are burning time right now. We have done what we can do here."

Patterson had a rehab start for Class A Potomac on Thursday night. He pitched three innings and gave up one run on three hits against Winston-Salem. Patterson struck out one batter and walked two.

Patterson said he was pain-free during the game, but his mechanics were off. He believed that was the reason he threw too many pitches and lasted just the three innings.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
Re: Patterson has major setback in recovery
« Reply #1: June 24, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »
sad to hear it, but am i suprised? NOPE?

im so done with patterson and his bicep sorness.

its just frustrating.

one has to wonder that doctor shopping excuse can only be used for so long.

they should really have frequent flyer for ortho docs & pitchers. 100 visits and you get a new arm.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: June 24, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »
So who's going to get blamed for this one; the Doctors, Jim Bowden, Frank Robinson or Manny Acta?

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #3: June 24, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
Man, i just feel bad for JP. ITs unfortuante, becasue you can see that he wants to be out there playin and heklpin his team, but his body won't let him. I wondre will he need another surjury.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: June 24, 2007, 09:32:43 PM »
I really like Patty, but this does seem like the end of his career as an MLB pitcher. 

Offline Jayman77

« Reply #5: June 24, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
Patterson is to blame, because he's a freakin' hypochondriac--always saying he's hurt.  Just do us a favor and call it quits, John.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: June 25, 2007, 10:00:50 AM »
He should hit the weight room for a year and put some meat on those bones. He might actually get through a season if he had the body to support that fastball. Stop throwing it from the arm. Drink some beer and watch tapes of Clemens rotating his upper body, then hit the weights.

Okay, I might not know much about pitching, but he has to do something different.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #7: June 25, 2007, 10:14:15 AM »
And he wanted a raise before the season started remember?   :roll:

Same ol John...clue in Pattie, time to find a new line of work.  Sorry Thunderstruck, might want to find a new hero.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #8: June 25, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »
Maybe his mechanics have something to do with it?  He does have a strange delivery.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: June 25, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
Maybe his mechanics have something to do with it?  He does have a strange delivery.
No, he doesn't have any weird mechanics that no one else does.  He's just a brittle.  He...Alex Escobar and Chris Snelling should start a fraternity.   :?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: June 25, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
  Sorry Thunderstruck, might want to find a new hero.

Kind of like when the Mountaineers were relegated to the NIT, and you started rooting for the Terps?   :shock:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #11: June 25, 2007, 10:19:05 AM »

Kind of like when the Mountaineers were relegated to the NIT, and you started rooting for the Terps?   :shock:

:icon_question:  I never rooted for the Terps my friend.  If I ever did...I would expect someone to shoot me.   ;)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: June 25, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
No, he doesn't have any weird mechanics that no one else does.  He's just a brittle.  He...Alex Escobar and Chris Snelling should start a fraternity.   :?

I agree. There isn't anything so odd about his delivery that would cause these problems and if so they would've been spotted and altered by now. It's plain and simple, some people just aren't as durable as others, same goes for Escobar. I also doubt putting on weight would help. Pedro Martinez was barely 170 lbs and he was durable for a good number of years.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: June 25, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »
:icon_question:  I never rooted for the Terps my friend.  If I ever did...I would expect someone to shoot me.   ;)

LOL, commend you, perhaps!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: June 25, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Maybe putting on muscle wouldn't help, but, at this point isn't it time to do something different? How could it hurt?

Maybe he'll never be what he could have been. But the way things are giong now, he's already a has-been. If I were him, I'd want to do something different so I wouldn't keep getting the same results.
I agree. There isn't anything so odd about his delivery that would cause these problems and if so they would've been spotted and altered by now. It's plain and simple, some people just aren't as durable as others, same goes for Escobar. I also doubt putting on weight would help. Pedro Martinez was barely 170 lbs and he was durable for a good number of years.

Offline arlington

« Reply #15: June 25, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
Patterson is probably done as a major leaguer,  but more likely done as a National.  I think it was Ladson who pointed out on TV last night that he's arbitration eligible again in 2008.  The Nats aren't the Yankees, and they can't afford to pay a pitcher $850,000 (or more) for the 2008 season on the hope that he will get well enough to pitch some day, but probably not in 2008, especially after paying him $850,000 to pitch 9 times in 2007. 

Pitchers whose arms continue to become injured after Tommy John surgery have few options left.  I'm afraid this doesn't speak well to Shawn Hill's ability to come back either. 

« Reply #16: June 25, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
Patterson is to blame, because he's a freakin' hypochondriac--always saying he's hurt.  Just do us a favor and call it quits, John.

I assume you have proof of this allegation.  It is one thing to say it is your OPINION that he is a hypochondriac, but if you are going to state it as a FACT, you need documentation.

« Reply #17: June 25, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
And he wanted a raise before the season started remember?   :roll:

Same ol John...clue in Pattie, time to find a new line of work.  Sorry Thunderstruck, might want to find a new hero.

I am perfectly happy with the hero I have.  Patterson has come back from injuries before and has never given up.  I know that if it is possible to overcome this latest injury by courage and determination, he will come back strong.  Thank you for your concern, but it is totally unnecessary.

« Reply #18: June 25, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »
sad to hear it, but am i suprised? NOPE?

im so done with patterson and his bicep sorness.

its just frustrating.

one has to wonder that doctor shopping excuse can only be used for so long.

they should really have frequent flyer for ortho docs & pitchers. 100 visits and you get a new arm.

What's wrong with you, Erica?  Are you trying to be cute?  If so, give it up, it is unbecoming, and I really thought you were nicer than that.  And if you are tired of hearing about Patterson's biceps, why don't you simply stop reading the articles about him?  By the Way, don't you think that Patterson might be tired of having his biceps hurt?  A little compassion would be nice.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: June 25, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »
What's wrong with you, Erica?  Are you trying to be cute?  If so, give it up, it is unbecoming, and I really thought you were nicer than that.  And if you are tired of hearing about Patterson's biceps, why don't you simply stop reading the articles about him?  By the Way, don't you think that Patterson might be tired of having his biceps hurt?  A little compassion would be nice.

OK thunderstruck it's not fair nor compassionate of you to jump on Erica for merely expressing her frustration (something many of us here share) over the JP drama. She, like most of us, is a Nationals fan and wants to see some production from our supposed 'Ace" (who has mostly been a joker and not very wild at that). I'm sorry if I seem hostile thunderstruck but I don't think you should bring her character into question for simply expressing her opinion and frustration on a fan forum.

« Reply #20: June 25, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
So who's going to get blamed for this one; the Doctors, Jim Bowden, Frank Robinson or Manny Acta?

How about the nerve in Patterson's arm?  That seems to be where the real blame lies and I haven't heard Patterson blaming anybody else.

« Reply #21: June 25, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »
OK thunderstruck it's not fair nor compassionate of you to jump on Erica for merely expressing her frustration (something many of us here share) over the JP drama. She, like most of us, is a Nationals fan and wants to see some production from our supposed 'Ace" (who has mostly been a joker and not very wild at that). I'm sorry if I seem hostile thunderstruck but I don't think you should bring her character into question for simply expressing her opinion and frustration on a fan forum.

I'm sorry if I offended you Spider, but I stand by what I said.  We are talking here about a possible career ending injury to a Nationals player and I don't think it is any laughing matter.  These players are human beings and have feelings just as you and I do.  They are not robots who are just there for our entertainment.  I too, want to see some production from our ACE, but he can't produce when his arm is injured and he could certainly use some support from the Nationals fans rather than negative remarks.  You can condem me for this if you like, but I am entitled to my opinion also, and my opinion is that real fans support the players as long as they are doing the best they can, and I don't believe that anyone can offer proof that Patterson isn't doing that!   If you would like to have me banned from the board for expressing my opinions, that is fine with me.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: June 25, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
   If you would like to have me banned from the board for expressing my opinions, that is fine with me.

Certainly NOT thunderstruck! I would stop coming here myself before ever advocating such measure. So please let's not even start talking about that sort of thing.

I was going to make another joke about classified documentation on JP but nevermind... [fade to black]  ;)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: June 25, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
Alright everybody take a chill pill.  I think we are all frustrated with the injuries that seem to plague not only Patterson but a lot of our roster.  No need to get at each other's throats over our individual opinions on the matter.

« Reply #24: June 25, 2007, 04:22:32 PM »
Alright everybody take a chill pill.  I think we are all frustrated with the injuries that seem to plague not only Patterson but a lot of our roster.  No need to get at each other's throats over our individual opinions on the matter.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I really do think that people should think twice before posting as they don't always sound the same way to someone reading the posts.