Author Topic: WONDERFUL NEWS. GOT MY NEW DOGGIE TODAY  (Read 3144 times)

nospinzone1

WONDERFUL NEWS. GOT MY NEW DOGGIE TODAY
« Topic Start: June 23, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »
His name is Charlie. Jack Russell Terrier. full of energy and very affectionate. Unfortunately, at least tody, my wife does not want anything to do with him. she claims he smells. oh well, cant win them all. She will be better when she gets her Pomeranian.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: WONDERFUL NEWS. GOT MY NEW DOGGIE TODAY
« Reply #1: June 23, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
Congrats!  I hear Jack Russels need a lot of discipline so train it well!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #2: June 23, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »
OMG....

congrats

we're gonna have to have a play day with the dogs

you do know i have a Jack too!

she will be 13 on this nov 23rd!

they are wonderfull dogs, they will keep you going and going...

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: June 23, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
That is great news! Hope that your wife starts feeling more like herself soon.

nospinzone1

« Reply #4: June 23, 2007, 11:00:02 PM »
Congrats!  I hear Jack Russels need a lot of discipline so train it well!

HE IS almost 3 and pretty well trained. just got a lot of energy.

nospinzone1

« Reply #5: June 23, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
OMG....

congrats

we're gonna have to have a play day with the dogs

you do know i have a Jack too!

she will be 13 on this nov 23rd!

they are wonderfull dogs, they will keep you going and going...

what do you do for the doggie smell. the young ladies that gave it to me had him bathed before they gave it to me. I dont much of a sense of smell, so could my wife be right? She wont eve give him the time of the day so far. Hope she gets over it, otherwise I am going to have to get a new wife.....hee haw.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: June 23, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »
What terrific news!  I'm so happy for you!  Charlie will win over Maria very soon!  I just know.  She wont' be able to resist those sweet little eyes!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: June 24, 2007, 09:45:46 PM »
Jacks are nice dogs...just make sure he stays on a leash, or you won't have a squirrel left in your neighbourhood!

natsfan1a

« Reply #8: June 24, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
And that would be a problem, why now? (from one who likes to feed the birds but not the squirrels)  :lol:

Jacks are nice dogs...just make sure he stays on a leash, or you won't have a squirrel left in your neighbourhood!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: June 24, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
And that would be a problem, why now? (from one who likes to feed the birds but not the squirrels)  :lol:

Have you tried greasing the top of your bird feeder?

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 24, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
My uncle-in-law recommended axle grease on the pole. I may have to give it a shot but I fear it will be very messy. I have used silicon spray/WD-40 but that doesn't always seem to work. May depend on air temperature?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #11: June 25, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
My uncle-in-law recommended axle grease on the pole. I may have to give it a shot but I fear it will be very messy. I have used silicon spray/WD-40 but that doesn't always seem to work. May depend on air temperature?

Vaseline works.  Or, as my dad used to do, sit on the back porch with a Super-Soaker and blast them off the pole.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: June 25, 2007, 09:57:54 AM »
The problem with grease (ie crisco) is that over time it dehydrates and becomes tacky, then the squirrels can climb it.  I finally configured a standard bird feeder pole ( slender metal rod that sticks into the ground, and curves at the top into a hook where the feeder hangs) that has a cowling that hangs over it.  I had to make a number of adjustments to it (cowling higher, move it away from trees where the could leap from, etc.) but eventually found an equilibrium where the squirrels are defeated.

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: June 25, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »
Sounds promising -- I might need a schematic to show my husband on that one.  :lol:

The problem with grease (ie crisco) is that over time it dehydrates and becomes tacky, then the squirrels can climb it.  I finally configured a standard bird feeder pole ( slender metal rod that sticks into the ground, and curves at the top into a hook where the feeder hangs) that has a cowling that hangs over it.  I had to make a number of adjustments to it (cowling higher, move it away from trees where the could leap from, etc.) but eventually found an equilibrium where the squirrels are defeated.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 25, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »
Notice it's leaning a bit, not by necessity, it just settled a bit over the last two years.

[attachment deleted by admin]

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: June 25, 2007, 11:05:15 AM »
Cool, thanks!  8)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #16: June 25, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
Never underestimate the Force of the Squirrels...

natsfan1a

« Reply #17: June 25, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »
Funny! A friend of mine once told me about a documentary on cable where they showed squirrels figuring out and defeating a series of "squirrel-proof" feeders.

nospinzone1

« Reply #18: June 25, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
SQUIRRELS ARE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN A LOT OF HUMAN BEINGS I HAVE KNOWN IN MY LIFE.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: June 25, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: June 25, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
Is the one in the middle a ring-toss game?  :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: June 25, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
Funny! A friend of mine once told me about a documentary on cable where they showed squirrels figuring out and defeating a series of "squirrel-proof" feeders.

Believe me, I have all the respect for their athletic abilities.  But I've had this one going like this for several years, and I think they've given up.  They don't seem to be able to jump straight up very well, unlike the way they can leap from limb to feeder horizontally. 

As a variation of the grease tactic, you can sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it, since they lick their paws to get the grease off.  Thirsty little devils!

natsfan1a

« Reply #22: June 25, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »
That's encouraging, thanks!

Believe me, I have all the respect for their athletic abilities.  But I've had this one going like this for several years, and I think they've given up.  They don't seem to be able to jump straight up very well, unlike the way they can leap from limb to feeder horizontally. 

As a variation of the grease tactic, you can sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it, since they lick their paws to get the grease off.  Thirsty little devils!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: June 25, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
However you set it up, usually you have to make adjustments.  Watch to see how they get on it, then adjust for that vulnerability, then the squirrels make adjustments, etc.  Sort of like the pitchers trying to fool batters they've already seen a bunch of times.

natsfan1a

« Reply #24: June 25, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

I once heard LHP Bill Lee comparing hitters to squirrels. He said that you had to make them look up, much as you'd want to make a squirrel look around a tree if you were hunting it. I think the analogy was in Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey.

However you set it up, usually you have to make adjustments.  Watch to see how they get on it, then adjust for that vulnerability, then the squirrels make adjustments, etc.  Sort of like the pitchers trying to fool batters they've already seen a bunch of times.