Author Topic: Patterson's rehab start at Potomac  (Read 679 times)

Patterson's rehab start at Potomac
« Topic Start: June 22, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »
I attended last night's game at Woodbridge and here are my observations on Patterson's pitching:
He was not as sharp as one would like to see him.  He walked 2 - both in the first inning -usually an indication that things are not quite right with him, and threw a wild pitch. It did seem to me, and those around me, that a few of his pitches that were called balls could have been strikes - he was not missing by much, not really wild, just not sharp. I believe he threw more first pitch strikes than he did in Frederick last week.  His velocity looked pretty good, though I could not really tell. He used up a lot of his alloted pitches in the first inning, though he only gave up 1 run, a leadoff home run (the next time that batter faced him, he was out on a fly ball). He took the mound for the 4th inning, so evidently he still had some pitches left.  However, at that point it started raining and the umpires stopped the game and the ground crew covered the field.  The rain stopped before they even got the tarp on and Patterson went to the bullpen to throw, but after a few pitches he stopped and a discussion was held. When the game started again, after a 16 minute rain delay, Shairon Martis took the mound.  I hope that this was either precautionary or he was near the end of his pitch count, and not that his arm stiffened up. Accoroding to the item on the Nats website, Patterson said his mechanics were off.  I watched him warming up before the game and he seemed to be concerned about the length of his stride.  At one point he measured the distance from the rubber to the point where his left foot landed. One thing that worried me somewhat is that when not pitching, he seemed to shake his hand and/or his arm a lot as though they might be numb. This could be from the nerve irritation and might mean that he still has that problem.  He apparently did say, however, that he felt no pain in his arm.  Overall I would say that he is still far from the "real John Patterson" but is slowly making progress. My guess would be that he still needs at least 2 more rehab starts and may still not be 100% when he returns to the rotation.

These are only my observations. If anyone who saw or heard the game has any additions and/or corrections, please post them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Patterson's rehab start at Potomac
« Reply #1: June 22, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
Fingers crossed!  Worrisome about the shaking of hand/arm...that numb pins & needles feeling is not a good thing in a pitcher with a history of tendon/nerve damage. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: June 22, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »
I'm ok with arm shaking. I dont think it is necessarily pins and needles. Sometimes just shaking out a little lactic acid or even a nervous nabit.  Pedro Astcio shakes/shook his arm like a mad man between every pitch for years

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: June 22, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post on JP's rehab start. I have not seen anything posted on Bergmann's rehab two nights ago but I believe he threw 4 innings and gave up an ER with something like 3 K's and 4 BB's. Not too bad for a rehab start. I hope we can get 5 innings from him next week in Atlanta and then possibly another 5 in Pittsburgh or maybe even at home against the Cubs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: June 22, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post on JP's rehab start. I have not seen anything posted on Bergmann's rehab two nights ago but I believe he threw 4 innings and gave up an ER with something like 3 K's and 4 BB's. Not too bad for a rehab start. I hope we can get 5 innings from him next week in Atlanta and then possibly another 5 in Pittsburgh or maybe even at home against the Cubs.

Anybody interested in these rehab reports should visit the Nats Farm Authority, which regularly posts updates on each outing for all these guys.  See the link up in the links section.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #5: June 23, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
I still believe that Patterson has ace left in him. When he is healthy, he is better than 75% of Major League Starters. I still have a lot of faith and confidence in J.P. and that he will return to dominant form.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: June 23, 2007, 01:56:17 AM »
Hope you are right...and I believe you are.  He's got Ms DC at his side now...how can he lose??

I still believe that Patterson has ace left in him. When he is healthy, he is better than 75% of Major League Starters. I still have a lot of faith and confidence in J.P. and that he will return to dominant form.