Author Topic: Is anyone else voting for the Hank Aaron award?  (Read 977 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Is anyone else voting for the Hank Aaron award?
« Topic Start: August 13, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »
Quote from: "baseball-almanac.com"
The Hank Aaron Award was introduced in 1999 to honor the 25th Anniversary of Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record. It was the first major award to be introduced in more than thirty years and it recognizes the best overall hitter in each league.

During the 1999 season, winners were determined by assigning a pre-determined number of points for each hit, home run, and run batted in. During the 2000 season and subsequent years, the play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts from each club's radio and television stations will vote for three players from each league. Each first place vote will receive five points, each second place vote receives three points, and a third place vote receives one point. In 2003 the same points were distributed; however, fans now accounted for 30% of the votes which were taken via MLB.com's website.

Quote from: "MLB.com"
Here is the three-step process that will lead to the selection of this year's winners:

1. Through the end of August, fans will be able to vote for one of three players from each club via that team's official site. Select the club of your choice and jump into the voting.

2. The leading vote-getter from each club will become one of 30 nominees. A special panel assembled by Major League Baseball and CENTURY 21 will select, from that group of 30, six finalists from each league.

3. From Sept. 6-30, fans will vote, on a ballot consisting of the six finalists in each league, for the player who gave the best all-around offensive performance of the 2005 season. Voting in that final phase will take place at MLB.com and Century21.com.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: August 13, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »
I went ahead and voted for Nick Johnson.  The other choices were Jose Guillen and Brad Wilkerson, so I think Nick is the obvious choice.  I think he deserves recognition for his outstanding play this year, but I think we all know he will never make it past the "special panel."

Just wondered if anyone else was voting in this thing.  You can vote for every team, I believe.  Not sure about how many votes you can cast per team per email address though.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: August 13, 2005, 02:11:31 PM »
I voted for Nick as well, but I cant see any Nats player getting the award as long as they're owned by MLB.  I expect A-Rob or Ramirez will win it in the AL and someone like Cabrera, Pujols or Derrek Lee in the NL. Johnson hasn't got a prayer of even coming close...

Offline esoteric

« Reply #3: August 13, 2005, 03:27:10 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I voted for Nick as well, but I cant see any Nats player getting the award as long as they're owned by MLB.  I expect A-Rob or Ramirez will win it in the AL and someone like Cabrera, Pujols or Derrek Lee in the NL. Johnson hasn't got a prayer of even coming close...

Yeahp.  Voted for Johnson too, but good luck Nicky 'cause it's gonna take an act of God for you to win.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: August 14, 2005, 09:57:59 AM »
Ditto