Author Topic: Girardi declines Orioles' offer  (Read 2228 times)

natsfan1a

Girardi declines Orioles' offer
« Topic Start: June 21, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
From espn.com:

Girardi declines Orioles' offer to take over team

BALTIMORE -- Joe Girardi has declined an offer from the Baltimore Orioles to become their next manager, his agent, Steve Mandel, told ESPN on Thursday.

Girardi interviewed with the Orioles on Tuesday, and ESPN's Peter Gammons reported that the team offered him its vacant managerial job. And ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that as of Wednesday night, the two sides had agreed to work on an agreement that would make Girardi the team's next skipper.

The discussions with Girardi came after Baltimore fired Sam Perlozzo on Monday after two-plus seasons as manager.

Girardi

Girardi was a first-time manager last season, leading the Florida Marlins to a 78-84 record and keeping his youthful club in contention until late September.

The former big league catcher was fired at the end of the season following a rift with owner Jeffrey Loria and then was voted NL Manager of the Year -- the first to win the award with a losing record.

A former coach for Yankees manager Joe Torre, Girardi returned to New York this season as a broadcaster for the YES Network.

Meanwhile, as first reported on Monday by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, Andy MacPhail was hired Wednesday as chief operating officer of the Orioles. MacPhail has run both the Cubs and the Twins.

MacPhail and Girardi overlapped in Chicago during MacPhail's tenure as Cubs president, which began in 1994 and ended in 2006. Girardi was with the Cubs for two stints totaling six seasons, the last from 2000-02.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2911691

There is also an item on the Blo's site:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070621&content_id=2040791&vkey=news_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Offline ronnynat

Re: Girardi declines Orioles' offer
« Reply #1: June 21, 2007, 01:58:11 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't give Girardi that much credit for his job last year. That team was 2x better than ours this year and they had a feared batter in the middle of their lineup. They have a pitcher (Willis) that would be an Ace anywhere and their young guns were all top prospects. I don't think he would have been that big of an upgrade for the Orioles anyways.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: June 21, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: June 21, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
Big shocker there. Girardi has his heart set on the yankees job

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #4: June 21, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't give Girardi that much credit for his job last year. That team was 2x better than ours this year and they had a feared batter in the middle of their lineup. They have a pitcher (Willis) that would be an Ace anywhere and their young guns were all top prospects. I don't think he would have been that big of an upgrade for the Orioles anyways.

Agreed. The O's are probably better off. Who knows, maybe they'll hire Davy Johnson.

The way I look at it, if Angelos is truly serious of granting actual authority to McPhail, than that bodes well for the longer-term prospects of the Orioles more than any decision on an interim field manager. It will be interesting to see what direction he takes.

« Reply #5: June 21, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
LOL! ESPN just said that Girardi was smart for not taking the job and waiting out for a better job (Yanks, Cubs, Cards).  He is, and I quote, "better than that" to take the O's job.

God, the Baltimore franchise is spiraling down the ladder.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: June 21, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
Smart man, actually!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: June 21, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »

And ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that as of Wednesday night, the two sides had agreed to work on an agreement that would make Girardi the team's next skipper.

Do his sources just F with him?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: June 21, 2007, 04:15:15 PM »
More likely, he spoke to the wrong make believe friends he hangs around with

natsfan1a

« Reply #9: June 21, 2007, 04:18:26 PM »
They're probably the same sources who said the Nats wouldn't win more than 32 games.

Do his sources just F with him?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: June 21, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
I can't imagine why the Orioles would have even imagined Girardi would want the job in Baltimore when he turned us down.  From Girardi's perspective, the Orioles are just the Nats minus the new stadium and better owners.  If he turned us down he's sure as hell not going to take over for them.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #11: June 21, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
LOL, this sucks for Bl0's fans.  I mean, not that he could have "turned things around", but I know he would have had a positive impact.  Maybe they could hire Robinson.

natsfan1a

« Reply #12: June 21, 2007, 05:51:44 PM »
Even if they wanted to hire Frank, I have a feeling that he'd tell them to go pound sand.

LOL, this sucks for Bl0's fans.  I mean, not that he could have "turned things around", but I know he would have had a positive impact.  Maybe they could hire Robinson.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: June 21, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »
Even if they wanted to hire Frank, I have a feeling that he'd tell them to go pound sand.

Who would want Frank anyways? TOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD!

natsfan1a

« Reply #14: June 21, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
Heck, there's plenty of codgers managing.  :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #15: June 21, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
Who would want Frank anyways? TOOOOOOOOOOOO OLD!

The Marlins love hiring really old managers, maybe Frank could get a job there once Gonzalez gets tired of sucking up to management.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #16: June 22, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »

...or bring back Earl Weaver for a third tour of duty (he'll be only 77 this coming August - heck, Connie Mack managed till he was 88).

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #17: June 22, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »
More likely, he spoke to the wrong make believe friends he hangs around with

I also thought his sources were sock puppets.

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: June 22, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »
I just learned what that means (in an Internet context) the other day. I'm making it into the 21st century slowly...

I also thought his sources were sock puppets.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #19: June 22, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
I just learned what that means (in an Internet context) the other day. I'm making it into the 21st century slowly...

i have no idea what that means in internet context

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: June 22, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
From Wikipedia (not necessarily an authoritative source but in this case I think it works):

A sockpuppet is a secondary online identity used for purposes of deception within an Internet community. A sock puppet is a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks while pretending not to, like a puppeteer manipulating a hand puppet.[1]

Sockpuppets are employed to create the impression that support for a position is stronger than in reality, or to defend or praise an individual or particular side of a debate while hiding the puppeteer's role. The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym is the conveyance that the puppet is a third party and thus not affiliated with the puppeteer.

The term was first employed on Usenet in reference to Earl Curley, who had used various pseudonyms to defend his character and arguments and to denigrate his opponents.[2] The term tentacle was also commonly used with similar meaning in Usenet through the mid 1990s.[3]

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #21: June 22, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »
Internet context?  I would think the meaning of "sock puppet" in the context of those statements would be obvious.  IE he pulls his info straight out of his own ass.

natsfan1a

« Reply #22: June 22, 2007, 05:26:48 PM »
Oh well, that's pretty straightforward, isn't it? Here I thought it was an opportunity to apply my newly learned Internet terminology.  :lol: