Author Topic: Where Were You Born?  (Read 5029 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Where Were You Born?
« Topic Start: June 18, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Born at Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, VA.  Lived for 1st 3 yrs in Sterling.  then moved to Ashburn closer to grandparents.  My dad's still in that same house.  Went to college in Danville, VA.  Moved back home afterwards for a bit, then had a roomie in Leesburg for a year.  Then back to Ashburn, then down to Fairfax where I have been since 93 or 94, 94, I think.  When Dan & I got married in 96, we lived in Vienna for 18 mo.  We've been in Fairfax City since March '98.

Hey NatsAddict!  Since you were in Loudoun back when, you might know my family, either side.  Still go to Leesburg to the dentist, Dr. Birkitt on Loudoun Street, close to where the old A&P used to be.  My dad's father's family was from Sterling.  He mother's family moved to Ashburn when Gran was about 6 or so.  My mother's side: her father grew up and stayed most of his life in Ashburn (now he and my grandmother live way down on 621 south of 'burg).  My grandmother lived her teen years in Sterling.  And being in Herndon, you might remember Old Sterling/Church Rd.  My grandparents had a general store there, Crosen's.  Not that often I come across a real native to those parts.  Family names are Crosen, Fletcher, Wortman & Munroe.  Related to the Fishbacks, Lawsons and Gardners too.  Wait, if you were born in Leesburg, that doesn't say you lived there.  Is that the case?

I was born in Leesburg (my daughter was born in Fairfax Hospital), but lived in Herndon, and spent a lot of time in Loudoun.  I know Sterling & Church both very well.  The names Fishback, Lawson, Gardner, and Fletcher are all familiar.  There are some Fletchers from Ashburn that are relatives of relatives (Jones and Smeltzer).  Crosens also sounds familar.  We had friends the lived on Church Rd, and I remember often walking down to a little store - I think it was gray on the outside.  From the time I was 3, I lived off Sterling Rd, just inside Herndon and about 100' from the Loudoun county line.  Before that, I lived on what is now Elden St (or Eldon St - every other street sign had it spelled differently), but was then Washington St.  That house was torn down, and the strip mall where K-Mart is now (assuming it's still there).  Very close to the spot where our house once stood was a little software store, Software Center, which is were I met my wife 23 years later.   Do you remember a place called the Mighty Midget?  I was a little diner built out of the nose of a WWII bomber, and was in the middle of Leesburg.  I think its gone now, but I must have had a couple hundred meals there.