Author Topic: Cubbie curriculum  (Read 481 times)

Offline natsfan1a

Cubbie curriculum
« Topic Start: June 17, 2007, 02:53:58 PM »
I thought Lou's curriculum quote was unintentionally funny, as in "Bench-Clearing Brawls 101."  :lol:

Cubs await ruling from MLB on fracas
06/17/2007 1:53 PM ET
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Derrek Lee and the Cubs waited for a ruling from Major League Baseball regarding a possible suspension after Saturday's brawl, and expected baseball as usual in the series finale against the Padres.

Lee, hitting coach Gerald Perry and San Diego's Chris Young and Jake Peavy all were ejected from Saturday's game after a fourth-inning fracas which started when Young hit Lee with a pitch. Lee was upset that the ball was at his head, and took a swing at the pitcher after Young made a comment as Lee walked to first base.

Cubs catcher Michael Barrett received a 10-game suspension after he punched White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski in May 2005. Both Lee and Young took swings at each other but neither connected.

"There's no set penalty," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "They do it on individual basis. We'll see what they think."

Lee was in the Cubs' lineup Sunday, and prepared to deal with a possible suspension.

"It's just the consequences of it," Lee said. "It's unfortunate. The whole thing, it's unfortunate it happened. The suspension is part of that. I just have to deal with it. Hopefully, it's not too bad."

It's been an interesting June. Piniella already has served a four-game suspension this month for kicking umpire Mark Wegner on June 2 during an argument at Wrigley Field. His penalty was issued the next day.

"I don't know what the league's thinking is or baseball's thinking is," Piniella said. "I know they don't like fights. They've been trying to eradicate that from the curriculum and rightfully so because you don't want to see people hurt."

Lee was expected to appeal any suspension. The Cubs will be getting backup first baseman Daryle Ward back on Tuesday when the team opens an Interleague series at Texas. Ward has been sidelined with a sore hip. It's a tough time to lose Lee, who leads the Cubs with 36 RBIs, while Aramis Ramirez is on the disabled list. Ramirez was expected back next weekend.

No one was hurt during the melee, although Piniella did take a tumble when he fell backwards over a player.

"You don't realize how big these guys are and how strong they are until you get out there," Piniella said. "They're just big, strong kids."

The two teams played the rubber match of the series on Sunday, and Lee didn't expect any repercussions.

"I'll try to put it behind me and go play baseball," he said. "We have a chance to win the series. It's been a good series so far, and we'd like to win this one."

Lee was hoping it would be baseball as usual.

"What happened yesterday happened, and it's over and now we play baseball," he said.