Author Topic: Sori admires own work, makes Wells' list  (Read 2135 times)

natsfan1a

Sori admires own work, makes Wells' list
« Topic Start: June 16, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »
Judging from the video on the Cubs site, Sori *was* admiring his own work. Oh, and there was that whole Bartman flashback thing, too. (BTW, the glove smiley link does not seem to be working  :) )

---

Fontenot hit a two-run homer and two outs later Soriano connected on a long solo shot, his 11th of the season. Soriano watched the ball sail out and went the first couple of feet up the base line backward.

Wells wasn't watching Soriano, but said he would look at the tape to see just what he did after the homer.

"I hope he didn't do it. If he admired it, file it. I don't show people up," Wells said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-06-15-padres-cubs_N.htm

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Sori admires own work, makes Wells' list
« Reply #1: June 16, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
should work now :mitt:

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: June 16, 2007, 03:27:41 PM »
From the Cubs site. Seems that Lee had to take one for Sori...

Lee plunked, ejected from heated game
06/16/2007 2:36 PM ET
By Jon Greenberg / Special to MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee and Padres starting pitcher Chris Young traded punches in the fourth inning of Saturday's game at Wrigley Field, leading to both benches clearing.

Young hit Lee in the left shoulder to start the inning, sending the first baseman to the ground. Young appeared to be motioning with his glove for Lee to head to first base a little more quickly, which caused Lee to begin jawing at Young as he walked inside the lines on his way to first.

As Young approached him, Lee grabbed a piece of Young's jersey and swung with his right arm, missing Young entirely. Young let loose with an errant right hook, his pitching hand, and the two traded swings until teammates rushed the field to hold them back.

Both benches cleared and there was much intermingling by home plate, but mostly teammates held each other at bay. Fiery Carlos Zambrano, the Cubs starter on Saturday, was brought up the first-base line, and Jacque Jones was held back by teammates, as well.

Lee was immediately ejected, and after some discussion, home-plate umpire Mike Everitt tossed Young. Cubs hitting coach Gerald Perry and Padres pitcher Jake Peavy were also thrown out.

The plunking may have stemmed from Alfonso Soriano admiring his home run off David Wells in the sixth inning of the Cubs' 4-1 win Friday. Soriano appeared to back up the first-base line after his shot onto Waveland Avenue. Peavy told the San Diego Union-Tribune, "If I think a player shows me up like that, I like the next guy to take one in the stinkin' ribs. That way, his teammate will let him know about it. [He] will tell him, 'Hey, you'd better run the bases.'"

Before the game, Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he didn't pay attention at all to Soriano.

"You know, look, I didn't see it, so I didn't know what he did," Piniella said. "I liked the home run, put it that way."

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: June 16, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »
testing one...two...three

:mitt:

Cool, thanks for the fix!  8)

should work now :mitt:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: June 16, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »
Wow, that's some serious drama between those clubs.  Anybody got any video of this?

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: June 16, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
Dunno. I didn't see any on the site but maybe there is now. Zambrano had a no-no going but lost it in the 8th.

Actually, there's now a photo on the Cubs site.

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: June 16, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »
No brawl footage but did find this. The Cubs site does have footage of the HR trot. Sounds like Sori's contract is an issue for some other teams as well. I promise to stop the Cubs cutting and pasting now...  :lol:

chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070616cubsfight,1,6175564.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Cubs, Padres brawl at Wrigley
Cubs' Lee, Padres' Young ejected
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

June 16, 2007, 2:17 PM CDT

Alfonso Soriano's moonwalk during his Waveland Avenue home run on Friday apparently precipitated a bench-clearing incident in today's game against San Diego.

Derrek Lee was hit in the left shoulder by Chris Young's pitch while leading off the fourth inning of today's game, sending Lee sprawling to the ground. Lee exchanged words with Young on his way to first base, at which point Young appeared to point to the base.

Lee came out to the mound and threw a wild punch at Young, missing on the roundhouse, while Young threw a punch back. Both benches emptied, and Lee, Young, Padres pitcher Jake Peavy and Cubs hitting Gerald Young were all ejected.

On Friday, both Peavy and Padres left-hander David Wells had criticized Soriano for not "respecting" the game with his showboating on his home run.

"I didn't appreciate that," Peavy said. "Just play the game. They pay him $136 million to hit home runs. They don't pay him to be a circus act on the field. If I think a player shows me up like that, I like the next guy to take one in the stinking ribs. That way, his teammate will let him know about it, (and he'll) tell him 'Hey, you'd better run the bases.'

"Respect the game. That's the way it used to be. When you were growing up, did you see anybody act like that? Now it's accepted."

Young apparently followed Peavy's advice, leading to the plunking of Lee.

Padres manager Bud Black declined to get into it when asked about Soriano before today's game.

"I did get to see it on replay, and I did get to see it live," Black said. "I have no thoughts on that. Some things are better left unsaid."

Asked about Soriano's showboating before today's game, Cubs manager Lou Piniella talked around the issue.

"I didn't even know he backpedaled," Piniella said. "I was watching the ball leave the ballpark. I saw it leave the stadium ... I didn't see it. I didn't know what he did. I liked the home run—put it that way."

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: June 16, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »
Stuff like that, I'm actually glad he's gone.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #8: June 16, 2007, 10:24:37 PM »
Whiners. Pitchers can jump up and down and pump their fists after a strikeout or motion to first after hitting a batter, but a batter cant watch a monster hr?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #9: June 16, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
Cecil fielder admired his homers all the time, and griffey still to this day walks up the first baseline when he hits one. Hitters did it then and they do it now. If it were a padre, they would not complain.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 16, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »
yeah, me too

Stuff like that, I'm actually glad he's gone.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #11: June 17, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Wow, MLB players would never make it in boxing.  They just CANNOT throw a damn punch!

natsfan1a

« Reply #12: June 17, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
One of the news outlets had a headline something like, "D-Lee and C. Young: A swing and a miss"  :lol:

Wow, MLB players would never make it in boxing.  They just CANNOT throw a damn punch!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: June 17, 2007, 12:18:17 PM »

Zambrano > Barrett > Pierszynski

Of course,  A.J. had no idea the sucker punch was coming, or he would have probably done to Barrett's face what Zambrano did.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #14: June 17, 2007, 07:11:31 PM »
Whiners. Pitchers can jump up and down and pump their fists after a strikeout or motion to first after hitting a batter, but a batter cant watch a monster hr?

:clap:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: June 17, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
Yeah, but Sori is FOLLOWING THE $.  So I don't think he does stuff w/o thinking about it.  I definitely not a big fan of his.  I hope to get to go to 1 of the games v Cubs and boo the thankless jerk.

natsfan1a

« Reply #16: June 17, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »
I think he's following the money, too. I was one of those who wasn't a Sori fan in spring training, then he won me over and I bought into his whole love of the game song and dance. When he said that he was going to the Cubs because he wanted to win, I about plotzed.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #17: June 17, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
I think he's following the money, too. I was one of those who wasn't a Sori fan in spring training, then he won me over and I bought into his whole love of the game song and dance. When he said that he was going to the Cubs because he wanted to win, I about plotzed.

Yeah!  Exactly!  Me,too!!!

« Reply #18: June 18, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »
The minute ($0)rian0 walked out on this team in ST in 06' was the minute I knew he would never work in DC and I would never cheer for him.