Author Topic: "Some" would be completely ignorant!!!  (Read 1923 times)

Offline PC

"Some" would be completely ignorant!!!
« Topic Start: June 15, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
There is a story at si.com about the NL Central where the writer, John Donovan, claims that anyone, even the Reds, could win it.  This is part of what he wrote about Cincinnati.

The NL Central, more than any place in baseball, is ripe for one good swap this trade season, one well-placed whopper of a deal that would turn the division on its earflap. And who better to pull that deal off than Wayne Krivsky, the general manager of the last-place Reds? Krivsky, barely into his second year as a big-league GM, has managed a mega-trade before. He just may be inclined to do it again this season.

It was just 11 months ago, as you might recall, that Krivsky pulled off the blockbuster of the season, trading two regulars (shortstop Felipe Lopez and outfielder Austin Kearns) to the Nationals for a couple of relievers, a fill-in shortstop and some minor leaguers. Krivsky was ripped far and wide for the swap. Even his buddy, former Mets GM Steve Phillips, let him have it on ESPN.

The deal didn't do either team much immediate good. Neither made it to the postseason last year, and it's very unlikely either will this season. Still, the effort counts for something. And Krivsky isn't about to concede that the trade was anything but a positive for his team.

Neither Lopez nor Kearns have been very good in Washington. (Some, in fact, might call them total busts.) And while Gary Majewski (who may or may not have been injured before the trade, a sticking point now between the Nats and Reds) has been batted about in his first six innings or so since his return to the Cincinnati bullpen, Krivsky still has big hopes for him.

Another piece in the trade, lefty reliever Bill Bray, should be off of Cincinnati's disabled list by the end of the month. And a non-headlined part of the deal, 21-year-old right-hander Daryl Thompson, is pitching well in Class A ball with the Reds. Also, former closer Eddie Guardado is expected back by the end of the month.

If the return of Majewski and Bray solidifies the Reds' bullpen -- however unlikely that may be -- and that leads to an improvement in the slumping rotation (Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Kyle Lohse, rookie phenom Homer Bailey), Cincinnati still could be a factor in the Central. The Reds score more than 4 1/2 runs a game, fifth in the NL. If their pitching is there, the Reds will improve. One good trade could put them in the running.

First off, the Nationals didn't make the trade to do "immediate good" nor did they make the trade in an attempt to make the playoffs last year.

While Lopez and Kearns certainly haven't been All-Star caliber, they've been clearly better than what the Reds got in return.  And the "some" who call them "total busts" are totally ignorant.

If "Krivsky isn't about to concede that the trade was anything but a positive for his team." then why is he still trying to have the Nationals investigated over this very trade?  Funny that wasn't mentioned in the story.  :|

Offline PC

Re: "Some" would be completely ignorant!!!
« Reply #1: June 15, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
I wonder if this is the same "some" that Buster Olney reported saying the Nats would lose 130 games this year?  :roll:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: June 15, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »
How retarded can these writers be?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: June 15, 2007, 04:07:26 PM »
apparently much so and blind too!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #4: June 15, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
I think they got a good pitcher in return when they got Bray. He could end up having a bright future. Tex is a serviceable middle-reliever, but nothing really special or irreplaceable. Time will tell what this ends up being. But what really looks worse at the moment for the Reds is that both Royce Clayton and Brendan Harris are starting shortstops with other clubs. Clayton was really just a fill-in for Lopez, but Harris was a fine young prospect who had put up very good numbers in AAA for a middle-infielder and can play short well and can definitely play 3rd and 2nd very well. I would have loved to have kept him but he served us well in the trade. Cincy, letting go of both of these guys made them useless filler in a trade. So the trade was really two solid starters for a potential closer. They can spin it all they want, but that's just not a good deal because they could have clearly ended up with more.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: June 15, 2007, 04:34:42 PM »
I was just watching the Anita Marks show on MASN and the co-host was commenting on the O's recent struggles: "... The O's woes continued as they got swept by the lowly Nationals..." 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: June 15, 2007, 04:37:02 PM »
LOWLY!  We now have a tied record w/ the O's and we're lowly!!!!!

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: June 15, 2007, 04:37:41 PM »
So now they must be the lowly O's? Oh, so *that's* what they kept singing at the game the other day... :doh:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #8: June 15, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
So now they must be the lowly O's? Oh, so *that's* what they kept singing at the game the other day... :doh:

Yeah, that's it:

Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo
Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo

Offline kimnat

« Reply #9: June 15, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
Yeah, that's it:

Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo
Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo

:rofl: :funny: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #10: June 15, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
I was just watching the Anita Marks show on MASN and the co-host was commenting on the O's recent struggles: "... The O's woes continued as they got swept by the lowly Nationals..."  (Image removed from quote.)

Sticks and stones may break our bones but words won't prevent us from sweeping them under the rug!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #11: June 15, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »
another good one!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #12: June 15, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
This one pisses me off. It was in the Baltimore Sun, too.

The team the Os got beaten by three times this week is one of the hottest teams in baseball. You'd think that Baltimore sportscasters would spend a little more time analyzing what's really going on instead of taking a shot at the Nats.

They really do have an inferiority complex.
I was just watching the Anita Marks show on MASN and the co-host was commenting on the O's recent struggles: "... The O's woes continued as they got swept by the lowly Nationals..."  (Image removed from quote.)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: June 15, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »
Yeah, that's it:

Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo
Low - lee - Os
Loooo - leo
Heh, what a coincidence.  Last night, whenever I heard that stupid chant, I would sing:

Or-i-oles
BLOOOOOWWWWWWW

I also wasn't aware that a team with a 20-12 record in its last 32 games could be considered "lowly."  Thanks for showing me the light, 1300 AM.

I wouldn't recommend watching Anita Marks unless you want a bunch of homerific bullcrap about Bawlmer.  The first, and last, time I watched that show, she was trying to convince everyone that Willis McGahee was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: June 15, 2007, 06:17:15 PM »
It's not like Kearns and Lopez have been spectactular. But they certainly aren't complete busts and this idiot writes. I swear to God when I'm writing for SI/ESPN/other sports outlet, I'll give the Nats their due!

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #15: June 15, 2007, 06:37:07 PM »
I would say on the whole that both Kearns and Flop have been busts....but there both kind of young and have all-star talent, so theres still plenty of time for them to grow and improve. I'll give them till the end of 08' to declare the trade a total bust; but hey, we still have wagner, who I think looks really good.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: June 15, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »
It's not like Kearns and Lopez have been spectactular. But they certainly aren't complete busts and this idiot writes. I swear to God when I'm writing for SI/ESPN/other sports outlet, I'll give the Nats their due!

Sweet! Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Anita Marks is an idiot and knows nothing of substance about sports.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #17: June 16, 2007, 09:28:31 AM »
I wonder if this is the same "some" that Buster Olney reported saying the Nats would lose 130 games this year?  :roll:

Olney apologized and said he had "black feathers in his mouth" over this one, citing an entire irate post from a reader and admitting the Nats are playing good baseball. Wonder if he ate an oriole?

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: June 16, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »
Ooh, is there a link on this one? (chuckling and rubbing hands together)

Olney apologized and said he had "black feathers in his mouth" over this one, citing an entire irate post from a reader and admitting the Nats are playing good baseball. Wonder if he ate an oriole?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #19: June 16, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »
This just in, in this morning's Post: Gary Majewski has been sent down to AAA Louisville after giving up three runs without retiring a batter in Thursday's 9-7 loss to the Angels; ERA now at 15.88 - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502389.html.

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: June 16, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »
Yeah, I saw that. I always liked Tex, though he could be maddeningly inconsistent on the mound. He always seemed to take it hard when his performance wasn't up to snuff. I remember reading that he recently lost his sister, too, and then there's all the negative publicity around the trade last season.

This just in, in this morning's Post: Gary Majewski has been sent down to AAA Louisville after giving up three runs without retiring a batter in Thursday's 9-7 loss to the Angels; ERA now at 15.88 - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502389.html.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #21: June 16, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »
If the Reds don't want Majewski, we could just take him back for free, because that's about all he's worth now...

Offline PC

« Reply #22: June 16, 2007, 11:44:43 AM »

I was just coming here to post this. :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: June 16, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »
Ooh, is there a link on this one? (chuckling and rubbing hands together)

Subscribers only. It's from his blog (Friday I think).