Author Topic: ESPN CHAT  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Nationalzfanatic88

ESPN CHAT
« Topic Start: August 11, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »
who is the biggest challenger to the astros for the WC? The Astros clearly have the pitching but is the offense going to be enough?

Rob Neyer: (3:08 PM ET ) I think all the also-rans in the East, with the exception of the Nationals, are perfectly capable of challenging the Astros. Like you, I'm not sure Houston's lineup is as strong as it needs to be. And Clemens can't pitch like this all season. . . can he?

ESPN CHAT
« Reply #1: August 11, 2005, 03:18:14 PM »
Why is everyone so negative of the nationals?? I know that they have a negative run differential but didnt we go 20-6 in june???

Offline Kenz aFan

ESPN CHAT
« Reply #2: August 11, 2005, 03:50:53 PM »
It could be because they don't see the team though fan's eyes... Sports journalists/writers aren't swayed by local hype. They work with on field performances, both projected and actual. When the Nats were doing well in June, even the most loyal Nats fan would have to admit they were playing over their heads and were lucky more often that not. Sports writers are fans of the game, not just one team. If the Nats were really as good as their June won loss record, they would all admit to it and be writing about what's wrong with the Nats, instead of I told you so.

The sad fact is, the Nats are still very much the same team that started the season, with very much the same type of lineup (with a slightly better defense) that only won 67 games in 2004. Except to Nats fans, there's nothing spectacular about this team. Next year maybe, but not right now. To win with any consistency, they'll need to play over their heads again. Fans of any team are always the last to admit their team stinks. And what's funny in a couple of years, when they look back on this season, they'll almost all say, man except for one month, did that team stink...

ESPN CHAT
« Reply #3: August 11, 2005, 03:53:22 PM »
Wow, thank you very much, that slap-in-the-face, is excatly what I need, now that I am pouring my eyes out!! Thanks for being a spirit booster :-(

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
ESPN CHAT
« Reply #4: August 11, 2005, 03:56:39 PM »
Regardless of how you feel about Ken's take on things, the fact remains that ESPN has been downing the Nats all season, and has a long history of dissing DC as a whole.  As far as I'm concerned, ESPN can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
ESPN CHAT
« Reply #5: August 11, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »
I don't have quite the pessimistic view that Ken does regarding our true level, in that practically our entire starting team is playing hurt right now, hence are playing below ability.

Church, Schneider, Guillen, Castilla, Vidro, Johnson, Wilkerson, all of them have issues limiting their effectiveness.  This is a better team than they are showing now.  Unfortunately, I don't expect more than marginal improvement over the rest of the year in the health department.  Just as Vidro and Johnson have come back, the gains are negated by the declines of Guillen and Castilla, in particular.  

With our pitching staff, if we could score runs around the median, we'd be in the playoffs.  Best case, Watson's presence sparks the team, sets the table for Nick, and gives needed recovery time to Guillen/Church/Wilkerson so they get better too.

Note that Vidro's seeing some pitches with Nick behind him now.  But also, Nick's not seeing any pitches cause nobody's afraid of Vinnie.

So I do see reason to hope, but as time goes by our chances are diminishing.  We've got to turn the corner soon.  And this is NOT the right time for Livan to have a breakdown.  November would be the right time.

ESPN CHAT
« Reply #6: August 11, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »
tomterp, let me just start by saying I LOVE YOU, my confidence is raised back just a little bit, you know I'm really starting to get sick of the Nationals, they win some they lose some, The main reason I want them to make the playoffs is so that all those CYNICS in the media, will finally SHUT UP!!! I really cant wait till october when this mess is over!!

Offline Kenz aFan

ESPN CHAT
« Reply #7: August 11, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"
Wow, thank you very much, that slap-in-the-face, is excatly what I need, now that I am pouring my eyes out!! Thanks for being a spirit booster :-(

There's no need to get down. I look at it this way, if the A's can turn things around and go from being 15 games under .500 on May 29th to being 17 games over as of last night, and since the Nats are easily as good as the A's are, there's no reason think they cant do the same or better...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
ESPN CHAT
« Reply #8: August 11, 2005, 05:28:15 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
There's no need to get down. I look at it this way, if the A's can turn things around and go from being 15 games under .500 on May 29th to being 17 games over as of last night, and since the Nats are easily as good as the A's are, there's no reason think they cant do the same or better...

Well said.  If we had slumped in June and gone 20-6 in July, everyone would be talking about what a contender we are.