Author Topic: The Cubs only have four interleague series?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline PC

The Cubs only have four interleague series?
« Topic Start: June 11, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »
They played the White Sox in May.  This month, they play Seattle, the White Sox and Texas.

The Nationals, for example, have six interleague series, Orioles twice, Twins, Blue Jays, Indians and Tigers.

Do they have too few or do the Nationals have too many?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: The Cubs only have four interleague series?
« Reply #1: June 11, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »
Well, I am of the opinion that one is too many, so I would have to vote that the Nats have too many.

Offline PC

« Reply #2: June 12, 2007, 01:02:21 AM »
Actually, I realized after I made this post that the number of series the Cubs has is because of the 16 teams in the NL versus 14 teams in the AL.

Though this does beg the question of how the NL teams are selected that play fewer interleague series.  Why the Cubs, for example?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #3: June 13, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
Actually, I realized after I made this post that the number of series the Cubs has is because of the 16 teams in the NL versus 14 teams in the AL.
Though this does beg the question of how the NL teams are selected that play fewer interleague series.  Why the Cubs, for example?

I'm just guessing it's because there are six teams in the NL-Central.  I didn't look at the schedule to see if all the teams in that division do that.  They do have an extra team in their own division to play.  The only division in MLB that does not have five teams in a division is the AL-West, which only has four.  It seems like they could achieve balance by moving an NL-Central team to the AL-West, maybe Houston.  (The NFL did this sort of thing by paying a large fee to a team willing to move, most recently being the Seattle Seahawks moving from the AFC to the NFC.)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: June 13, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
It seems like they could achieve balance by moving an NL-Central team to the AL-West, maybe Houston.  (The NFL did this sort of thing by paying a large fee to a team willing to move, most recently being the Seattle Seahawks moving from the AFC to the NFC.)

The problem there is that every mid-week and weekend series would have to include an inter-league series.  When the total number of teams went from 28 to 30 in 1998, forcing one league to have 16 and the other 14, it turned out Selig's own Brewers switched from the AL to the NL and its better draw in attendance, which was even greater that particular year as Sosa and McGwire out-roided one another.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: June 13, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
Well, I am of the opinion that one is too many, so I would have to vote that the Nats have too many.
AMEN! I stopped watching baseball for quite a while when they started interleague play. Also DC still had no team.

« Reply #6: June 15, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
Not a fan of interleague play either although the Nats are beating up on the AL teams currently.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the NL teams are doing against the AL teams in Wins and Losses this season, so far?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: June 15, 2007, 09:36:51 PM »
Not a fan of interleague play either although the Nats are beating up on the AL teams currently.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the NL teams are doing against the AL teams in Wins and Losses this season, so far?

AL
East 22-23
Cent 25-20
West 24-12
Tot  71-55

NL
East 21-18
Cent 20-28
West 14-25
Tot   55-71

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: June 16, 2007, 11:00:28 PM »
Nats are doing their part.

Offline PC

« Reply #9: June 17, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm watching the O's-Diamondbacks game and they were talking about the interleague schedule and they mentioned that the Orioles have home and away series against the Diamondbacks.

Why in the world would the Orioles have two series against the Diamondbacks?  This just solidifies the fact that there is no rhyme or reason to interleague scheduling.