Author Topic: Prayers for Navarro  (Read 2137 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Prayers for Navarro
« Topic Start: June 08, 2007, 11:09:53 PM »
D-Rays catcher Navarro is badly injured, and it's not looking good.

Re: Prayers for Navarro
« Reply #1: June 08, 2007, 11:21:25 PM »
D-Rays catcher Navarro is badly injured, and it's not looking good.

From what, may I ask?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: June 08, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »
The early speculation is a fractured larynx.  He had to be put on oxygen and was having extreme difficulty breathing.  A wild pitch came up under his throat guard.

« Reply #3: June 08, 2007, 11:26:44 PM »
Jesus Christ!  That is horrid.  Good luck Navarro.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #4: June 08, 2007, 11:34:40 PM »
I can't find a story!  Where did you hear this?

EDIT: If you look on Gameday, you can see Navarro being taken out, but that's all I can find.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: June 08, 2007, 11:35:53 PM »
I can't find a story!  Where did you hear this?

Watching the Marlins game.  Still waiting on an update.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #6: June 08, 2007, 11:37:50 PM »
The only thing I see in print so far is from the Yahoo box score:

TAMPA BAY CATCHER DIONER NAVARRO LEFT THE GAME IN THE BOTTOM OF THE SIXTH INNING WITH AN APPARENT THROAT INJURY.
Yahoo

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: June 09, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »
Some good news, but no real updates.

In a frightening moment, Devil Rays catcher Dioner Navarro was placed on a stretcher and wheeled off the field on a Miami-Dade Fire Rescue cart after being struck in the throat by a bounced pitch.

Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon said Navarro was taken to Broward General Hospital, where he'd be kept overnight for observation. Maddon did not know specifics about the injury but said he was relieved to learn that it wasn't as bad as it first appeared.
Miami Herald

There was a scary moment in the sixth inning, just before the Marlins took the lead. With Willingham batting, Brian Stokes' pitch bounced in the dirt and struck Devil Rays catcher Dioner Navarro in the throat.

Navarro fell in pain and the game was delayed more than 10 minutes while he was tended to by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews. They put him on a stretcher, gave him oxygen and drove him off the field in a motorized cart. He was taken to a local hospital and there was no immediate word on his condition.
Palm Beach Post

Six innings later, Brian Stokes bounced a pitch that hit catcher Dioner Navarro square in the throat. Navarro dropped into a prone position and couldn't breathe.

Trainers from both teams and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue personnel attended to Navarro, fitting him with an oxygen mask before carting him off the field. He was transported to Broward General.

"You could hear him gasping," said Josh Willingham, who was in the batters' box at the time.

Added Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, a former minor league catcher: "I've been in that situation before and it could be dangerous. You've got your Adam's apple there and your larynx. I hope he just hyperventilated and it's not something real bad."
Mullet Wrap

It was the worst I'd seen since former Caps goalie Clint Malarchuk went down after being traded to the Sabres.

natsfan1a

« Reply #8: June 09, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »
That's awful!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #9: June 09, 2007, 06:53:27 AM »
One thing none of these articles mentioned:

Cabrera was on 2b.  The ball bounced out in front of LH batters box.  Navarro still had the presence to reach out and glove the ball as he was falling.  It was one of the most courageous plays I've ever seen.  I seriously doubt that with that kind of injury, I would have had the presence of mind to deaden the ball.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 09, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
That's something on the play. Hope that the fact that he received prompt medical treatment will be advantageous as far as recovery.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #11: June 09, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »
oh my goodness!!!  That' horrific!  I hope he'll be ok.  what an awful freak injury!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: June 09, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

It was the worst I'd seen since former Caps goalie Clint Malarchuk went down after being traded to the Sabres.

that clint malarchuk thing is horrifying.  i think an nhl player got hit with a puck and had to be intabated (sp?) a couple of years ago.  if they didnt do that to navarro, he's probably at least better off than that guy.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #13: June 09, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »
News is getting better:

Navarro's injury looked more threatening. In the sixth inning, a pitch from Brian Stokes landed short of the plate and bounced up under Navarro's mask, hitting him square in the throat. Navarro dropped to the ground, writhing and holding his neck.

Trainers from both teams and several fire rescue personnel tended to Navarro near home plate. He was eventually strapped to a backboard and taken to Broward General Medical Center, where tests showed no serious damage, manager Joe Maddon said.

"He's fine," Maddon said, adding that Navarro was breathing on the field. "I can't give you much more specific than that, but he's going to be fine."
MLB

natsfan1a

« Reply #14: June 09, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »
That's great!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: June 09, 2007, 02:26:14 PM »
whew! 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #16: June 09, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
One thing none of these articles mentioned:

Cabrera was on 2b.  The ball bounced out in front of LH batters box.  Navarro still had the presence to reach out and glove the ball as he was falling.  It was one of the most courageous plays I've ever seen.  I seriously doubt that with that kind of injury, I would have had the presence of mind to deaden the ball.

If you want to see a brave play, there is a link on the D-Rays site.  Fortunately, it only shows the first couple seconds, and none of the nasty stuff.

Hopefully he'll be back real soon.

natsfan1a

« Reply #17: June 09, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »
I just watched the beginning of the clip (too squeamish to watch the rest).

Hope he'll be back soon and as good as new.