Author Topic: Guzman's throw  (Read 717 times)

Offline Ray D

Guzman's throw
« Topic Start: August 10, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »
The inning before Guzman's bad throw, a ground ball was hit to him, he went to second for the force (would have been the third out), and the runner was safe. I actually thought that Vidro didn't get there in time, and otherwise they would have had the force easily.  So, Vidro's was in part at fault for not getting there, but Guzman was also in part at fault because he should have recognized the situation and thrown to first. That's the way I saw it, anyway.

So on the play in question (the bad throw), same situation, runner on first, two outs, this time it appeared to me that Guzman had a play at second (Vidro was there), he thought about it, then the mix-up of the previous inning flashed before him, and he decided to pass up the force and just go to first (and in all his turmoil, threw it away).

Did anyone else see it that way?   I feel for the guy and I think he's really a head case.

On a positive note, on the game ending double play, I though he played it well, hesitating to avoid the runner.

Offline Kenz aFan

Re: Guzman's throw
« Reply #1: August 10, 2005, 03:32:20 PM »
Quote from: "Ray D"
The inning before Guzman's bad throw, a ground ball was hit to him, he went to second for the force (would have been the third out), and the runner was safe. I actually thought that Vidro didn't get there in time, and otherwise they would have had the force easily.

With the ball being hit so far in the hole at 2B' Guzman had no choice but to try for the out at 2B. The replay showed, that even though Vidro was slow getting to the bag, he did beat the runner to make the third out. Unfortunately, the second base umpire made a bad call. That call cause Frank to remove Patterson, which would have made for a different 7th inning had he stayed in. We are too often quick to blame a player, when there is always another person involved in the play, THE UMP. Unless he makes the right call, how can a player be made to look good. Had the ump called the runner at 2B out like he should have, we'd all be praising the fantastic play Guzman made...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Guzman's throw
« Reply #2: August 10, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »
Plus, on the error at first, usually Nick picks that ball up.  It was so badly thrown, bouncing 12 feet or so in front of Nick, that it bounced up high and catchable.

Did look like it handcuffed him a bit though.

Offline Kenz aFan

Guzman's throw
« Reply #3: August 10, 2005, 03:49:15 PM »
I thought Nick should have caught it as well... thankfully, the guys got the win despite all the talked about plays...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Guzman's throw
« Reply #4: August 10, 2005, 04:00:29 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I thought Nick should have caught it as well... thankfully, the guys got the win despite all the talked about plays...

Agreed.

Lately it seems that if we make one mistake during a game, it turns out pivotal against us.  Fortunately we scored just enough runs to make the final margin hold up.  Whew!