Author Topic: The Chief Escapes From Baltimore  (Read 2914 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
The Chief Escapes From Baltimore
« Topic Start: June 06, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »
After just shy of a year in Baltimore, I have accepted a job in Richmond and will be escaping by the end of the month.  Nothing else to say about it, really.  Only thing I will miss is the easy drive down 295 from Baltimore to RFK.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: The Chief Escapes From Baltimore
« Reply #1: June 06, 2007, 07:30:40 PM »
After just shy of a year in Baltimore, I have accepted a job in Richmond and will be escaping by the end of the month.  Nothing else to say about it, really.  Only thing I will miss is the easy drive down 295 from Baltimore to RFK.

Just curious;  what job do you have that you've moved twice in a year to accommodate?  (Don't answer if you don't want to)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #2: June 06, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »
I'm a closer, duh :P

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #3: June 06, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »
Now you'll be able to catch the Clippers everytime they play the Richmond Braves... welcome to the Commonwealth.   8)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #4: June 06, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
Now you'll be able to catch the Clippers everytime they play the Richmond Braves... welcome to the Commonwealth.   8)

You mean welcome back ;)

I only left last August.  And btw 2k6 - I work in IT, but Baltimore is kinda bleh and I'm hours away from anyone I care about, so when the opportunity for a marginally better job in Richmond (very close to most of my family and friends) came up, I took it.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: June 06, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »
We gotta go down there in August for an appt. for me w/ a world reknown ENT, Dr. Sismanis.  I have an inner ear disorder called Meniere's Disease.  Caused deafness in my left ear and a host of intermittent issues that can drive me nuts!  I think the appt. is sometime mid-August.  I'm hoping it's the week Andrew is at camp and we can farm out the girls and go down just Dan & I.  Haven't done that since I was 8 mo. preg. w/ Juliana 5 years ago.  So, I'll drop you a note and we can all hook up down there!  :D  Welcome back to VA!!!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: June 06, 2007, 10:46:30 PM »
Sure will. Right now, the balance is ok.  Most have no idea of this problem w/ me.  I run into corners of furniture a lot here at home and trip easily, but otherwise I'm ok.  Dan doesn't want me out on the road on a bike though!  I've had this since I was Andrew's age.  First detected when I was 6.  So, it's def. hereditary.

But yeah, I can totally relate to George Bailey on that one.  However, Dan almost feels like his son on the other aspects!  Glad you're ok and that the tumor wasn't more than it was!!!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #7: June 06, 2007, 11:04:24 PM »
oh congrats chief!

VA is much better!

baltimore sucks...lol

you're still close to dc!
and thats all thats important

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #8: June 06, 2007, 11:47:35 PM »
You can get together with bob2274, who supplied much of the information about the 12 listed Richmond area restaurants that air Nationals games in the sticky General Discussion thread.  Some were full blown sports bars, others were bare bones places with good prices.  bob2274 talked a lot of managers into getting the MASN package.  I have a Ninja contact in Richmond, as well.  We'd hope to replace the Braves affiliate with a closer Nationals minor league team.

Always good to get further away from Peter "The Pig" Angelos...

Offline bob2274

« Reply #9: June 07, 2007, 12:59:55 AM »
Yeah....let me know when you get here. I live about 3 miles from downtown, so I'm down there a lot at the places that show the games. Welcome to town. You'll notice that everyone here complains about how terrible the traffic is when the most you might get delayed at any time of day is about 2 minutes. You'll also notice that people complain about prices for our minor league sports when you can get a front row seat for the Braves for $10 and park across the street for $2. You can get great Renegades hockey tickets for about $12 and park on the street for free or ride the bus if you live in town.
You won't have to deal with searching for baseball games on local channels either, of course. Every game is on MASN or MASN2. Plus just about every Nats game is on 950AM here in town too. The biggest drawback is that 110 mile drive to Washington.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #10: June 07, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
It sounds like you're having an "It's a Wonderful Life" ending with Andrew.

Now that's the truth!!  :)

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #11: June 07, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »
My daughter was born deaf in her right ear.  I thought my hearing was OK, but my wife says I suffer from male pattern deafness.

Glad to hear that Chief is paroled.  I've been to just about every major city in the US, and Baltimore is the only one that made me nervous walking the streets at night.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: June 07, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »
My daughter was born deaf in her right ear.  I thought my hearing was OK, but my wife says I suffer from male pattern deafness.

Lol!  That disease afflicts many  many men!  Including Dan!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #13: June 07, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »
My parents used to say the same thing about me.  Pitch of the frequency was part of my issue.  But they laid off me once the tests showed the problem.  Now, here I am, literally half deaf and Dan has better than perfect hearing and he does that selective bit all the time and I'm expected to hear his every word.  Go figure.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: June 07, 2007, 07:57:22 PM »
I developed nerve deafness in my right ear at age 5 after a bad illness & high fever.  Doctor's couldn't explain why it happened - sometimes only God knows.  Never had a problem functioning though...sometimes I have to ask people to repeat themselves if they are on my right side and there's noise on my left.  Especially when I'm driving with the window rolled down.  Other than that...you would never know I'm deaf in one ear.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #15: June 07, 2007, 08:03:16 PM »
On the plus side, if I'm sleeping on my good ear I can sometimes screen out snoring. :D
Or as in my case, spousal nagging.   ;)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #16: June 07, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »
I developed nerve deafness in my right ear at age 5 after a bad illness & high fever.  Doctor's couldn't explain why it happened - sometimes only God knows.  Never had a problem functioning though...sometimes I have to ask people to repeat themselves if they are on my right side and there's noise on my left.  Especially when I'm driving with the window rolled down.  Other than that...you would never know I'm deaf in one ear.

Folks say that about me all the time,  "I had no idea..."  I turn my head a lot and rely on watching them speak.  radio can be hard to "follow" sometimes.
The main thing that I miss is being able to direction locate. When I'm birding, it's a disadvantage not being able to tell where a song is coming from. But lots of times I'm out with birders who have excellent hearing in both ears and I can pick up songs that they can't. On the plus side, if I'm sleeping on my good ear I can sometimes screen out snoring. :D

And that's something else I can totally relate to.  I have a hard time discerning which direction "that firetruck" is coming from to get out of it's way.  And I also sleep on my good ear to drown out noise.  And I have always called it that too, "good ear" that is.

Funny, we have a ton of journalists hear and a budding number of half deaf folks too.  Is this a great group or what!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #17: June 07, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
Is this a great group or what!
Yeah bunch of handicaps...Hey Kasten!  We want discount HC seating at the new ballpark!   :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: June 08, 2007, 12:31:35 AM »
Congrats, Chief!  I whitewater rafted through the middle of Richmond on the James River once, which was really cool...not many cities offer that up us a modcon!  Enjoy!

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #19: June 08, 2007, 04:27:58 PM »
Yeah bunch of handicaps...Hey Kasten!  We want discount HC seating at the new ballpark!   :lol:

Add me to the list too, well.. kinda
Im not deaf in either ear, but my left ear has like 20% hearing so its pretty much the same thing as being deaf, I usually rely on my right ear for hearing, I have a hearing aid in that ear but I still here good with it out too.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: June 08, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
I used to have one back when I was a teen, about 25 years ago.  It was weird.  big bulky earpieces on my glasses.  They'd squeal and pic up tons of background noise, just like you're talking about.  I never realized how noisy papers in the classroom are.  So I stopped using them.  the ENT told my folks that I didn't have to keep using them and to not make me.  I've been hearing aid free since then, spring '84.  Reason they don't work for me is that I have perm. nerve damage in my inner ear.  They'll never do any good for me.  Hope you have better luck Mike!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #21: June 08, 2007, 05:54:18 PM »
I thought my hearing was OK, but my wife says I suffer from male pattern deafness.
:rofl:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #22: June 08, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »
What a funny bunch we are.  I think we are a family after all!  Many have similar talents, similar medical issues, love baseball - same team even  :D , we squabble, laugh, tease, debate and act like a normal family!  Who wudda thunk that could all come from a website!

nospinzone1

« Reply #23: June 08, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
What a funny bunch we are.  I think we are a family after all!  Many have similar talents, similar medical issues, love baseball - same team even  :D , we squabble, laugh, tease, debate and act like a normal family!  Who wudda thunk that could all come from a website!

SIMILAR MEDICAL ISSUES? ANYBODY WANTS TO TRADE?HEEHAW

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: June 08, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »
well, maybe not your's :) but we all seem to have something to cope with.  But I do get back pain every now and then.  It was awful during my 3 pregnancies.  Had to finally get chiro. help.  That's the only thing that kept me walking then!